Lim x->0 (arctan(x^2))/(sinx+tanx)^2

• Thread starter skyturnred
  • Start date
In summary, the student was attempting to solve a homework problem, but was having difficulty understanding the equation. After making a simple mistake, they were able to solve the equation using the chain rule. However, after fixing their error, they were still left with a very long equation. After consulting WolframAlpha, they were able to find the answer using the constant 1/4.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

lim x→0 [itex]\frac{arctan(x^{2})}{(sinx+tanx)^{2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so at first, the form is [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] so I use L'Hopital's rule. I get the following as my answer.

lim x→0 [itex]\frac{1}{1+x^{4}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{1}{2(sinx+tanx)(cosx+sec^{2}x}[/itex]

But the form is not 0/0 and I cannot figure out what to do at this point. I have tried expanding out the (sinx+tanx) with the (cosx+sec^2x) to no avail.. and I can't really think of what else to do.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not differentiate arctan(x^2) correctly. Don't forget the chain rule!

Stimpon said:
You seem to have just made a simple mistake, you should get x on top, not 1. Also that 2 shouldn't be there.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(arctan(x^2))'/((sinx+tanx)^2)'

Thanks! But now I have another issue.

When I fix my error, I get

lim x→0 [itex]\frac{x}{(1+x^4)(sinx+tanx)(cosx+sec^2x)}[/itex]

This is of the form 0/0

I tried to expand the bottom and I get a HUGE equation, a very very long equation and I must be doing this wrong. Any ideas?

PS: This is the equation I get.

[itex]\frac{x}{sinxcosx+sinxsec^{2}x+sinx+tanxsec^{2}x+x^{4}sinxcosx+x^{4}sinxsec^{2}x+x^{4}sinx+x^{4}tanxsec^{2}x}[/itex]

I really doubt that I am expected to use hopitals rule on that.. even though it wouldn't be too hard

What's lim x->0 of 1/((1+x^4)*(cos(x)+sec(x)^2))? That part is not indeterminant. It just approaches a constant. Just do l'Hopital on the indeterminant part.

Dick said:
What's lim x->0 of 1/((1+x^4)*(cos(x)+sec(x)^2))? That part is not indeterminant. It just approaches a constant. Just do l'Hopital on the indeterminant part.

Oh, I completely forgot you could do that! I get 1/4 is the answer to the question.. which I hope is right. And thanks so much for your help!

Related to Lim x->0 (arctan(x^2))/(sinx+tanx)^2

What is the limit of the function as x approaches 0?

The limit of the function as x approaches 0 is 0.

How do I find the limit of this function?

To find the limit, you can use L'Hôpital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

What is L'Hôpital's rule?

L'Hôpital's rule states that if the limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a is indeterminate, then the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a is equal to the limit of f'(x)/g'(x) as x approaches a, provided that the limit of g(x) as x approaches a is not equal to 0.

What is the squeeze theorem?

The squeeze theorem states that if f(x) ≤ g(x) ≤ h(x) for all x near a (except possibly at a) and the limits of f(x) and h(x) as x approaches a are both equal to L, then the limit of g(x) as x approaches a is also equal to L.

Why is it important to find the limit of this function?

Finding the limit of a function is important in understanding the behavior of the function at a certain point. It can also help in evaluating the continuity, differentiability, and convergence of the function.