Limit of Focal Spot Size for Lensing EM Radiation Across Frequencies

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Focal Limit
In summary: This is known as the Airy diffraction limit and the equation for it is r = λ/2.8. In summary, the size of the airy disk, or the smallest spot that can be achieved, is determined by the size of the aperture and the wavelength of the incoming light/radiation, according to the Airy diffraction limit which is r = λ/2.8.
houlahound
Did not know how to word this properly.

Looking for an equation to show the behaviour of how EM can be "lensed" as a function of wavelength/frequency.

ie RF waves can not be lensed/focussed to a spot.

what equation determines the minimum spot size a lens can focus EM radiation as a function of frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you are asking about? The Abbe diffraction limit of a microscope, which is r = λ/2.8. Shine a light thru the eyepiece and that is the minimum obtainable spot radius.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction-limited_system

houlahound said:
what equation determines the minimum spot size a lens can focus EM radiation as a function of frequency?

I believe you're asking about the Airy Disk. Try the math in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk

thanks guys. this is precisely the physics I was looking for.

haven't read through it all in detail but am I right in thinking the spot size is purely a function of the hardware transforming the light?

in the airy pattern, which is what is caused by diffraction from a circular aperture, would that increase the beam diameter after the aperture ie in general the smaller the aperture will cause greater spreading ie more diffraction. so therefore, if I am thinking right, a smaller beam will be achieved by a transparent lens than an aperture via diffraction.

I am going to try link the beam waist formula to the airy disc radius, but not sure if I am messing up the wrong two concepts.

houlahound said:
in the airy pattern, which is what is caused by diffraction from a circular aperture, would that increase the beam diameter after the aperture ie in general the smaller the aperture will cause greater spreading ie more diffraction. so therefore, if I am thinking right, a smaller beam will be achieved by a transparent lens than an aperture via diffraction.

You're right in that a lens will make a smaller airy disk than an open aperture, but there's still a fundamental limit to how small the airy disk can be which is based on the size of the aperture and the wavelength of the incoming light/radiation. A larger aperture and/or smaller wavelength gives a smaller airy disk.

1. What is the limit of focal spot size for lensing EM radiation across frequencies?

The limit of focal spot size for lensing electromagnetic (EM) radiation across frequencies refers to the smallest size that a focused beam of EM radiation can achieve when passing through a lens. This limit is dependent on the properties of the lens, such as its size, shape, and material, as well as the wavelength of the EM radiation.

2. How is the limit of focal spot size determined?

The limit of focal spot size is determined by the diffraction limit, which is a fundamental principle in optics. According to this principle, the minimum size of the focal spot is directly proportional to the wavelength of the EM radiation and inversely proportional to the numerical aperture of the lens. This means that as the wavelength decreases or the numerical aperture increases, the focal spot size will also decrease.

3. What is the role of frequency in the limit of focal spot size?

The frequency of the EM radiation plays a crucial role in determining the limit of focal spot size. This is because the frequency is directly related to the wavelength of the radiation, and as mentioned earlier, the wavelength is a key factor in the diffraction limit. Higher frequencies correspond to shorter wavelengths, which can result in a smaller focal spot size.

4. Are there any ways to overcome the limit of focal spot size?

There are several techniques that can be used to overcome the limit of focal spot size for lensing EM radiation across frequencies. These include using specialized lenses, such as diffractive or refractive lenses, which can manipulate the EM radiation to achieve a smaller focal spot size. Additionally, advanced imaging methods, such as super-resolution microscopy, can also overcome the diffraction limit and achieve smaller focal spot sizes.

5. How does the limit of focal spot size affect imaging and microscopy techniques?

The limit of focal spot size has a significant impact on imaging and microscopy techniques. For example, in traditional light microscopy, the diffraction limit can restrict the resolution and limit the ability to distinguish between closely spaced objects. By overcoming this limit, techniques such as super-resolution microscopy have revolutionized the field of imaging, allowing for more detailed and precise visualization of biological and chemical structures.