Limiting Factors for Liner Implosion in Z Machine Fusion

In summary, the limiting factor for a liner's implosion in a Z type machine is the speed of compression. It is possible to use larger liners with more gas or higher pressure, but the current power supply may not be sufficient for a fast enough implosion rate to achieve significant plasma burn and fusion. There are many analyses and papers on the physics of fast Z pinches, such as the one by Ruskov and colleagues. The pressure and compression ratio of the imploding liner and the speed of compression are key factors in achieving fusion. If the compression is too slow, the gas may lose heat to the surroundings and prevent the necessary conditions for fusion.
artis
What is the limiting factor for a liner and it's implosion in a Z type machine?
I wonder have they tried or is it possible to use liners that have a larger radius and contain more gas or gas under higher pressure aka more dense?

Are the dimensions of the liner so small because having a larger liner under the existing power supply would not give a implosion rate fast enough to achieve significant plasma burn and fusion?maybe someone can give a paper or something with formulas that show the relations between current through the liner walls and the wall implosion speed etc?thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Quick, short response:
The physics of fast Z pinches
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/14113

There are plenty of analyses, but many seem to be in journal articles requiring subscription.

One exception:
E. Ruskov, P. Ney, H. U. Rahman
The staged Z-pinch as a potential high-gain fusion energy source: Rebuttal to I. R. Lindemuth et al
https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.09223

Ruskov has his name on several papers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Paul Colby and berkeman
@Astronuc I'm still finishing reading some other papers but I already got the one on top you linked , so pardon me if I'm asking what is already said in those papers.

Do you happen to know the pressure of D-T gas inside the liner? Assuming it's a 50/50 mixture.
I wonder what is the compression ratio of the imploding liner because the liner compression seems analogous to other forms of mechanical pressure apparatus like a piston and cylinder only with a different geometry.

Would it be fair to say that the key in such inertial confinement techniques is how fast one compresses the fuel to ignition conditions because if the compression is too slow the gas has time to "thermalize" or give of heat to the surroundings and in such escaping the breakeven temp and pressure necessary for any fusion burn?

1. What is the Z Machine and how is it used for fusion?

The Z Machine is a large pulsed power machine located at Sandia National Laboratories. It uses intense magnetic fields and high electrical currents to compress and heat a small target, typically a fuel pellet, to extreme temperatures and pressures, causing fusion reactions to occur.

2. What are limiting factors for liner implosion in Z Machine fusion?

The main limiting factors for liner implosion in Z Machine fusion are instabilities in the liner material, energy losses due to radiation, and non-uniformities in the magnetic field. These factors can lead to incomplete implosion and lower fusion yields.

3. How do scientists address these limiting factors?

Scientists use advanced simulations and experiments to study and understand the behavior of the liner material and magnetic field in the Z Machine. They also work to develop new materials and techniques to improve liner stability and reduce energy losses.

4. What role do materials play in limiting liner implosion?

The material used for the liner in Z Machine fusion must be able to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures, as well as resist instabilities that can disrupt the implosion process. Finding suitable materials is crucial for achieving successful fusion reactions.

5. What are the potential applications of Z Machine fusion?

Z Machine fusion has the potential to provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy. It could also be used for various other applications, such as creating new materials and studying extreme physics conditions.