Limits of Integration in the Transmission Coefficient

In summary, there appears to be a misprint in the limits of integration for equation 9.448 of the textbook. The limits should not be switched, as this would change the transmission coefficient. The substitution made in the following line also leads to a different result, but using the Beta function identity, the correct result can be obtained.
Samama Fahim
Homework Statement
Why are the limits of integration swapped in the following equation without introducing a minus sign?
Relevant Equations
##\int_0^1\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}-1}dx##
zetilli limits of integ.JPG

Initially '0' is the upper limit and ##a = \frac{Ze^2}{E}## is the lower limit. With change of variable ##x = \frac{Er}{Ze^2}##, for ##r=0##, ##x=0##, and for ##r=\frac{Ze^2}{E}##, ##x=1##, so 1 should be the lower limit. However, he takes 1 as the upper limit, and without a minus sign. Why is that?

(from Quantum Mechanics, Nouredine Zettili)

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears to me that the error is in equation (9.446) of the text. ##\gamma## should be positive. But the way the limits are set up in the integral of (9.446), ##\gamma## will come out negative (since ##dr## in the integral will be negative). So, I think the limits should be switched in this integral with the lower limit being zero. The text refers back to (9.247). Does (9.247) agree with (9.446)?

Likes Delta2 and vela
TSny said:
It appears to me that the error is in equation (9.446) of the text. ##\gamma## should be positive. But the way the limits are set up in the integral of (9.446), ##\gamma## will come out negative (since ##dr## in the integral will be negative). So, I think the limits should be switched in this integral with the lower limit being zero. The text refers back to (9.247). Does (9.247) agree with (9.446)?
9.247 reads ##T \backsim e^{-2\gamma}##, ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\sqrt{2m(V-E)} dx##

Samama Fahim said:
9.247 reads ##T \backsim e^{-2\gamma}##, ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\sqrt{2m(V-E)} dx##
OK. This was probably discussed for the case where the particle tunnels from left to right through the barrier. That is, ##x_1## is the turning point on the left side and ##x_2## is the turning point on the right side. So, ##x_2 > x_1##.

The same formula (with no change in the integration limits for ##\gamma##) is valid in the WKB approximation if the particle tunnels from right to left through the barrier. The textbook appears to have made the mistake of assuming that the limits of integration should be switched in this case. You shouldn't switch the limits.

For example, suppose the potential barrier is symmetrically shaped, as shown.
1652727712064.png

Clearly, the transmission coefficient ##T## for right-to-left tunneling is the same as for left-to-right tunneling. In both cases, the turning point on the left (##x_1##) should be the lower limit of integration in the expression for ##\gamma##. Switching the limits would change ##T##.

Likes Samama Fahim
I think there was a misprint in the limits of integration of equ. 9.448. You have
$$
\frac{Ze^2\sqrt{2m}}{\hbar \sqrt{E}}\int_1^{0}\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}-1}dx
$$
Make the substitution ##t=\frac{1}{x}-1## with ##dx=-\frac{dt}{(u+1)^2}## the integral becomes
$$
I=-\frac{Ze^2\sqrt{2m}}{\hbar \sqrt{E}}\int_{\infty}^0 \frac{t^{\frac{1}{2}}}{(t+1)^2}dt
$$
$$
=\frac{Ze^2\sqrt{2m}}{\hbar \sqrt{E}}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t^{\frac{1}{2}}}{(t+1)^2}dt
$$
Using the formula for the Beta function
$$
B(x,y)=\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t^{x-1}}{(t+1)^{x+y}}dt
$$
and the Beta function in terms of Gamma functions,
$$
B(x,y)=\frac{\Gamma (x) \Gamma (y)}{\Gamma (x +y)}
$$
We find
$$
I=\frac{Ze^2\sqrt{2m}}{\hbar \sqrt{E}}B(\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2})=\frac{\pi Ze^2\sqrt{m}}{\hbar \sqrt{2E}}
$$
which is the obtained result in equ. 9.448.

Fred Wright said:
I think there was a misprint in the limits of integration of equ. 9.448. You have
$$
\frac{Ze^2\sqrt{2m}}{\hbar \sqrt{E}}\int_1^{0}\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}-1}dx
$$
Make the substitution ##t=\frac{1}{x}-1## with ##dx=-\frac{dt}{(u+1)^2}## the integral becomes
$$
I=-\frac{Ze^2\sqrt{2m}}{\hbar \sqrt{E}}\int_{\infty}^0 \frac{t^{\frac{1}{2}}}{(t+1)^2}dt
$$

Wouldn't the limits of integration be switched in the last line above? The substitution ##t=\frac{1}{x}-1## gives ##t = 0## when ##x= 1##, and ##t = \infty## when ##x = 0##.

So, with the substitution ##t=\frac{1}{x}-1##, $$ \int_1^0\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}-1}dx = -\int_0^\infty \frac{t^{\frac{1}{2}}}{(t+1)^2}dt$$

1. What is the purpose of the limits of integration in the transmission coefficient?

The limits of integration in the transmission coefficient determine the range of values over which the transmission coefficient is calculated. This allows us to accurately measure the probability of a particle or wave passing through a barrier or potential well.

2. How do the limits of integration affect the calculation of the transmission coefficient?

The limits of integration play a crucial role in the calculation of the transmission coefficient. The integration limits define the area under the curve that represents the probability of transmission, and changing these limits can significantly alter the calculated value of the transmission coefficient.

3. What factors determine the appropriate limits of integration for a given system?

The appropriate limits of integration depend on the specific characteristics of the system being studied. These may include the shape and height of the potential barrier, the energy of the particle or wave, and the properties of the material through which it is passing.

4. How do the limits of integration change for systems with multiple potential barriers?

In systems with multiple potential barriers, the limits of integration will typically be different for each barrier. This is because the transmission coefficient will need to be calculated separately for each barrier, and the integration limits will need to correspond to the specific barrier being considered.

5. Can the limits of integration ever be infinite?

Yes, in certain cases the limits of integration for the transmission coefficient may be infinite. This can occur when the potential barrier is infinitely high or the energy of the particle or wave is infinitely large. In these cases, the transmission coefficient will approach zero, indicating that the probability of transmission is essentially zero.