Null geodesics given line element

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating null geodesics by solving the Euler-Lagrange equations. This involves finding the Lagrangian squared and using it to solve for the derivatives of time and radial distance with respect to proper time. The final result is a change of variable represented by the equation, "dr/dt = +/- (1/(1-2m/r))". The speaker is seeking clarification on any errors in their process thus far.
Confused Physicist
Hi, I'm the given the following line element:

[tex]ds^2=\Big(1-\frac{2m}{r}\large)d\tau ^2+\Big(1-\frac{2m}{r}\large)^{-1}dr^2+r^2(d\theta ^2+\sin ^2 (\theta)d\phi ^2)[/tex]

And I'm asked to calculate the null geodesics.

I know that in order to do that I have to solve the Euler-Lagrange equations. For this I always do the following. First I calculate the Lagrangian squared in terms of the proper time ##\tau##. In this case first I have written the line element as:

[tex]ds^2=-\Big(1-\frac{2m}{r}\Big)c^2dt ^2+\Big(1-\frac{2m}{r}\Big)^{-1}dr^2+r^2(d\theta ^2+\sin ^2 (\theta)d\phi ^2)[/tex]

And then the Lagrangian squared:

[tex]\mathcal{L}^2=-\Big(1-\frac{2m}{r}\Big)c^2\dot{t}^2+\Big(1-\frac{2m}{r}\Big)^{-1}\dot{r}^2+r^2(\dot{\theta}^2+\sin^2(\theta)\dot{\phi}^2)[/tex]

Where ##\dot{ }## denotes derivative with respect to proper time: ##d/d\tau##.

When I solve the E-L equation for ##t## and ##r## I get:

[tex]\dot{t}=\frac{k_t}{1-2m/r}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{r}=k_r\Big(1-2m/r\Big)[/tex]

I'm doing this because I'm looking for a change of variable which I believe has to be:

[tex]\frac{dr}{dt}=\pm \Big(\frac{1}{1-2m/r}\Big)[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Thansk!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post your partial results.

Likes Confused Physicist

1. What is a null geodesic?

A null geodesic is a path in space-time taken by a massless particle, such as a photon, that follows the shortest possible route between two points in a curved space-time.

2. How are null geodesics related to the line element?

The line element represents the distance between two nearby points in space-time, and it also describes the curvature of space-time. Null geodesics are the paths that minimize the line element, meaning they follow the shortest possible distance between two points in curved space-time.

3. What is the equation for calculating null geodesics from the line element?

The equation for calculating null geodesics from the line element is known as the geodesic equation, which is a second-order differential equation that takes into account the curvature of space-time and the properties of the massless particle traveling along the path.

4. Can null geodesics exist in a flat space-time?

No, null geodesics can only exist in a curved space-time, as they are dependent on the curvature described by the line element. In a flat space-time, the line element is constant and there is no curvature, so there can be no null geodesics.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding null geodesics and the line element?

Understanding null geodesics and the line element is crucial in the field of gravitational lensing, where the bending of light due to the curvature of space-time is used to study and measure the properties of massive objects such as galaxies and black holes. It is also important in the study of general relativity and the behavior of space-time in the presence of strong gravitational fields.