Line of sight propagation when land is 700m above sea level

In summary, the maximum distance between the transmitter and receiver in this scenario, assuming no reflections, is approximately 31.9 km. This is calculated using the second equation, d=3.57√h, with h=0.8 km (80 meters). The result is also supported by using the first equation, d=√(2×R×H), with R=6,371 km and H=0.08 km, which also yields an answer of approximately 31.9 km.
pokie_panda

Homework Statement

A 200 MHz signal is to be transmitted over a point-to-point wireless link. Assume the earth’s surface is flat over the entire propagation distance, and is 700 metres above sea level. The transmitter is at ground level, and the receiver is situated on top of a multi-storey office building, 80 metres from the ground. If the earth’s radius at sea level is 6,371 km, what is the maximum distance possible between transmitter and receiver (assuming no reflections off any objects)?
A.88.9km
B.31.9km
C.99.7km
D.50.5km
E.94.5km

Homework Equations

For this i got two equations
d=√2×R×H
or
d= 3.57√h

The Attempt at a Solution

Because R and the sea land is 700m above sea level.
R= 7071 km
h= 0.08km
using the first equation
d=√(2×R×H)
I get 33.63 km

but because the other one is on ground H is zero
The d=0.
making d= 33.63 isn't a option.

So i tried formula 2
I get B.31.9km.
Also when i use the first equation i used the Earth radius at sea level 6,371 km
and also get also get B.
But i have a leaving that it should be greater.

Any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful when adding meters to kilometers --- check your radius calculation!

1. What is line of sight propagation?

Line of sight propagation is a method of transmitting electromagnetic waves, such as radio or light waves, in which the signal travels in a straight line from the transmitter to the receiver without being obstructed by any obstacles.

2. How does the height of land affect line of sight propagation?

The height of land can affect line of sight propagation by either increasing or decreasing the distance the signal can travel without being obstructed. This is because the curvature of the Earth limits the distance over which line of sight propagation is possible, and the higher the elevation of the land, the farther the signal can travel before it is blocked by the curvature of the Earth.

3. How does the height of land impact the strength of the signal in line of sight propagation?

The height of land does not necessarily impact the strength of the signal in line of sight propagation. The strength of the signal is primarily determined by the power of the transmitter and the sensitivity of the receiver. However, the height of the land can affect the signal strength indirectly by allowing the signal to travel farther without being obstructed, resulting in a stronger signal at the receiver.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact line of sight propagation when land is 700m above sea level?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact line of sight propagation when land is 700m above sea level. These factors include atmospheric conditions, such as fog or rain, which can absorb or scatter the signal, and any physical obstacles, such as buildings or mountains, that may block the line of sight between the transmitter and receiver.

5. How is line of sight propagation used in everyday life?

Line of sight propagation is commonly used in various communication technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting, cell phone networks, and satellite communication. It is also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, and in military applications such as radar and missile guidance systems.