Linear Algebra (Change of Basis)

In summary: Otherwise you have to work with 4 equations with 4 variables and solve for them. This is much more difficult than simply plugging in polynomials and showing they span the space. In summary, we are given two sets of vectors E and G representing the standard basis and another basis for the space P3, respectively. We are asked to show that G is also a basis for P3 and to find the change of basis matrix from G to E. After solving for the change of basis matrix, we can use it to test if G is a basis for P3 by multiplying it with a vector representing a polynomial in P3. We find that the change of basis matrix is correct, and G is indeed a basis for P
DanielFaraday

Homework Statement

Let E={1, x, x2,x3} be the standard ordered basis for the space P3. Show that G={1+x,1-x,1-x2,1-x3} is also a basis for P3, and write the change of basis matrix S from G to E.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I got:

[tex]
S_E^G=\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Now, to prove that this is also a basis, I just need to show that it has an inverse, right?

Here's the problem. If the above is correct, then when you multiply it by G you should get E, right? After all, it is the "change of basis matrix S from G to E". However, this isn't the case:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1
\end{array}
\right).\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1+x \\
1-x \\
1-x^2 \\
1-x^3
\end{array}
\right)=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
4-x^2-x^3 \\
2 x \\
-1+x^2 \\
-1+x^3
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just confused about what a change of basis matrix is supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your vectors in your representation in R4 are going to have just numbers, not polynomials in their entries. So (1+x, 1-x, 1-x2, 1-x3) isn't a vector, instead the vectors are supposed to be representing polynomials, for example 1-x is represented as (1,-1,0,0).

Your change of basis matrix is correct. Don't use it to show G is a basis though... you know P3 has dimension 4, so show G is linearly independent and hence since it has 4 elements it must span the space also

I see. so a valid test would be:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1
\end{array}
\right).\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
0 \\
1 \\
\end{array}
\right)=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
0 \\
-1 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

And the fact that I get (1,0,-1,0) says that I have 1-x^2, which is what I would expect.

Cool, I think I got it. Thanks!

Don't use it to show G is a basis though... you know P3 has dimension 4, so show G is linearly independent and hence since it has 4 elements it must span the space also

Although that is quite valid, in this problem I would find it simpler to show that G spans P3 and thus is linearly independent.

Related to Linear Algebra (Change of Basis)

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. What is change of basis in linear algebra?

Change of basis in linear algebra refers to the process of representing the same vector in terms of different basis vectors. This is useful for transforming vectors between different coordinate systems or for solving problems that involve different bases.

3. How is change of basis represented mathematically?

Change of basis can be represented mathematically using a change of basis matrix. This matrix is formed by arranging the new basis vectors as columns and finding the coordinates of the old basis vectors in terms of the new basis. The inverse of this matrix can then be used to transform vectors from the old basis to the new basis.

4. What is the importance of change of basis in linear algebra?

Change of basis is important in linear algebra because it allows us to easily work with vectors in different coordinate systems. It also helps us to simplify calculations and solve problems that involve different bases.

5. Can change of basis be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the concept of change of basis can be applied to other mathematical concepts such as matrices, functions, and differential equations. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra that has many applications in various areas of mathematics.