Linear algebra problem with a probable typo

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible mistake in the calculation of the norm of a vector. One person suggests that there may be a typing error or a different norm being used. Another person points out a mistake in the third line of the calculation. The conversation ends with the suggestion to write the vector as a matrix to clarify the issue.
Portuga
Homework Statement
Find ##m \in \mathbb{R}## so that the following linear operator in ##\mathbb{R}^3## be an isometry: $$F\left(x,y,z\right)=\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}y+mz,\frac{-1}{\sqrt{6}}x+\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}y-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}z,-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}z\right).$$
Relevant Equations
If ##F## is an isometry, then ##\left\Vert F\left(u\right)\right\Vert =\left\Vert u\right\Vert ##.
Well, my guess is that there is something wrong with the factors chosen, because ##\left\Vert \left(0,1,0\right)\right\Vert =1## and
\begin{align}
\left\Vert F\left(0,1,0\right)\right\Vert &=\left\Vert \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\left(0\right)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\left(1\right)+m\left(0\right),\frac{-1}{\sqrt{6}}\left(0\right)+\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}\left(1\right)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\left(0\right),-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(0\right)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(0\right)\right)\right\Vert \\&=\left\Vert \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}},0\right)\right\Vert \\&=\sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)^{2}+\left(\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\right)^{2}}\\&=\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}+\frac{4}{3}}\\&=\sqrt{\frac{5}{3}}.
\end{align}
So, am I wright? I mean, it looks like it was some kind of a typing error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked some other vectors if you replace ##\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{6}}y## by ##\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{3}}y## in the second component of ##F##?

Another possibility could be a different norm.

Likes WWGD
I think that you have a mistake in the third line of your calculation. The y term should be ##(2/\sqrt{6})^2##, not ##(2/\sqrt{3})^2##

Last edited:
Oh, thanks!

Portuga said:
Oh, thanks!
It would have been a good idea to write ##F## as a matrix:
$$F \ \dot = \ \begin{bmatrix}
\frac 1 {\sqrt 3}&\frac 1 {\sqrt 3}&m\\
-\frac 1 {\sqrt 6}&\frac 2 {\sqrt 6}&-\frac 1 {\sqrt 6}\\
-\frac 1 {\sqrt 2}&0&\frac 1 {\sqrt 2}
\end{bmatrix}$$And then things are obvious, hopefully.

Likes vanhees71
Yes, now I got the point.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations.

2. What is a typo in a linear algebra problem?

A typo in a linear algebra problem refers to a mistake or error in the problem statement or its components, such as numbers, symbols, or equations. This can lead to incorrect solutions or make the problem unsolvable.

3. How can I identify a typo in a linear algebra problem?

To identify a typo in a linear algebra problem, you can check for inconsistencies in the problem statement, such as incorrect equations, missing or extra variables, or incorrect values. You can also try solving the problem using different methods to see if you get the same result.

4. What should I do if I encounter a typo in a linear algebra problem?

If you encounter a typo in a linear algebra problem, you should first try to correct the mistake and solve the problem using the corrected version. If you are unable to identify the mistake or if correcting it does not lead to a valid solution, you should consult your teacher or a fellow student for help.

5. How can I avoid making typos in linear algebra problems?

To avoid making typos in linear algebra problems, it is important to double check your work and use a consistent notation and format. You can also ask a friend or teacher to review your work before submitting it. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with common linear algebra problems can help reduce the chances of making typos.