[Linear Algebra] Construct an n x 3 matrix D such that AD=I3

In summary, to construct an n x 3 matrix D such that AD = I3, we can use the following steps: 1. Use Theorem 4 to show that each b in R3 is a linear combination of A and that A has a pivot position in every row. 2. Write AD = [Ad1 Ad2 Ad3] = [e1 e2 e3] and substitute Ad1 = e1 for Ax = b since the columns of A span R3. 3. Using the fact that I3 = [e1 e2 e3] and AB = [Ab1 ... bn], we can write AD = I3 as A[db1 ... dbn] = [e1
bornofflame

Homework Statement

Suppose that A is a 3 x n matrix whose columns span R3. Explain how to construct an n x 3 matrix D such that AD = I3.

"Theorem 4"
For a matrix A of size m x n, the following statements are equivalent, that is either all true or all false:
a. For each b in Rm, Ax = b has a solution
b. Each b in Rm is a linear combination of A.
c. The columns of A span Rm.
d. A has a pivot position in every row.

Homework Equations

AD = I3
Ax = b
I3 = [e1 e2 e3]
AB = [Ab1 ... bn]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far what I've managed to put together is the following:
Since the columns of A span R3, it follows that, per Theorem 4:
For each b in R3, Ax = b has a solution
Each b in R3 is a linear combination of A.
A has a pivot position in every row.

Because we can write AB = [Ab1 ... bn], D as [d1 d2 d3] and I3 as [e1 e2 e3], we can also write
AD = [Ad1 Ad2 Ad3] = [e1 e2 e3].
We can substitute Ad1 = e1 for Ax = b in this case and we know that, since the columns of A span R3 that this equation has a solution. This logic can be applied to the columns [d1 d2 d3] to solve for D.

Is this correct? If not, am I at least on the right track? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bornofflame said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that A is a 3 x n matrix whose columns span R3. Explain how to construct an n x 3 matrix D such that AD = I3.

"Theorem 4"
For a matrix A of size m x n, the following statements are equivalent, that is either all true or all false:
a. For each b in Rm, Ax = b has a solution
b. Each b in Rm is a linear combination of A.
c. The columns of A span Rm.
d. A has a pivot position in every row.

Homework Equations

AD = I3
Ax = b
I3 = [e1 e2 e3]
AB = [Ab1 ... bn]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far what I've managed to put together is the following:
Since the columns of A span R3, it follows that, per Theorem 4:
For each b in R3, Ax = b has a solution
Each b in R3 is a linear combination of A.
A has a pivot position in every row.

Because we can write AB = [Ab1 ... bn], D as [d1 d2 d3] and I3 as [e1 e2 e3], we can also write
AD = [Ad1 Ad2 Ad3] = [e1 e2 e3].
We can substitute Ad1 = e1 for Ax = b in this case and we know that, since the columns of A span R3 that this equation has a solution. This logic can be applied to the columns [d1 d2 d3] to solve for D.

Is this correct? If not, am I at least on the right track? Thanks.

Looks fine to me.

Likes bornofflame
I agree with the above.

extension:
Since you are in working in reals, you have an inner product, and may may want to consider pushing the problem a bit to find the solution with the minimum length --i.e. getting the minimum length (squared 2 norm) solution for each vector ##\mathbf d_1##, ##\mathbf d_2## and ##\mathbf d_3## (equivalently, minimum squared Frobenius norm for ##D##). Specifically said solution would be given by

##D = A^T\big(AA^T\big)^{-1}##
or
##\mathbf d_j = A^T\big(AA^T\big)^{-1} \mathbf e_j##
- - - -
There's a way to derive this via Lagrange Multipliers, and another way to derive it via Singular Value Decomposition. Both are instructive. This is a very nice result, that not a lot of people are familiar with, for some reason.
- - - -
it also has a nice common sense feel to it, because

##I_3 = AD = A\Big(D\Big) = A\Big( A^T\big(AA^T\big)^{-1}\Big) = A A^T\big(AA^T\big)^{-1}= \big(A A^T\big)\big(AA^T\big)^{-1} = I_3##

so to get comfortable with this solution, you'd just need to convince yourself that ##\big(AA^T\big)## is in fact non-singular.

Last edited:
Likes bornofflame
Thank you, both. I'm still not comfortable with Linear Alebra yet and so feel quite shaky in what I've learned. Unfortunately there are no tutors for it on campus.

Thanks for the extension, StoneTemplePython. We haven't touched Lagrange Multipliers or Singular Value Decomposition yet, but that's something to look forward to.

Related to [Linear Algebra] Construct an n x 3 matrix D such that AD=I3

1. What is a matrix in linear algebra?

A matrix in linear algebra is a rectangular array of numbers or variables, arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate linear equations and systems of equations.

2. What is the purpose of constructing a matrix in linear algebra?

Constructing a matrix allows us to represent a linear system of equations in a compact and organized form. It also allows us to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication on these equations.

3. What does the notation n x 3 mean in the context of constructing a matrix?

The notation n x 3 represents the dimensions of the matrix, where n is the number of rows and 3 is the number of columns. In this case, it means that the matrix will have an unspecified number of rows and 3 columns.

4. How do we construct a matrix D such that AD=I3?

To construct a matrix D such that AD=I3, we first need to define the matrix A, which will have dimensions of 3 x n. We then need to find the inverse of A, denoted as A^-1. Finally, we can construct matrix D by multiplying A^-1 with the identity matrix I3, which has dimensions of 3 x 3.

5. What is the significance of the product AD=I3 in linear algebra?

The product AD=I3 is significant because it shows that the matrix A has an inverse, as the product of A and its inverse results in the identity matrix. This is an important property in linear algebra and allows us to easily solve systems of linear equations.