Linear Algebra: dimension of subspace question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding subspaces W1 and W2 in R^3 with dimensions m and n, where m>n>0, such that the dimension of their intersection is n. The equation dim(W1+W2)= dim(W1) + dim(W2)-dim(intersection of W1 and W2) is mentioned as a useful tool in solving the problem. The conversation also mentions using the standard basis and spans of vectors to construct the subspaces. The speaker encourages the other person to try solving the problem with any two subspaces, regardless of whether they are correct, in order to gain a better understanding of the concept.
jack_bauer

Homework Statement

Find an example of subspaces W1 and W2 in R^3 with dimensions m and n, where m>n>0, such that dim(intersection of W1 and W2)= n

Homework Equations

dim(W1+W2)= dim(W1) + dim(W2)-dim(intersection of W1 and W2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what I know for sure is that I have to use the equation dim(W1+W2)= dim(W1) + dim(W2)-dim(intersection of W1 and W2). I'm just really confused on how the subspaces should be. Should they maybe be matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
Subspaces are spans of sets of vectors. If you are working in R^3 then your only choice to make m>n>0 is m=2 and n=1, right? Pick the standard basis, e1=(1,0,0), e2=(0,1,0), e3=(0,0,1). One subspace with dimension 2 is span(e1,e2). A subspace with dimension 1 is span(e1). Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?? Do you know what a span is? Your question about whether the answer is a matrix makes me think we should start from the basics.

lol, yeah I know what you are talking about. I'm just really lost with this stuff right now. thanks man.

The way to get unlost is to try to solve it. Give me two subspaces, tell me their dimensions, tell me the dimension of their intersection, tell me the dimension of their sum, etc. Show me the formula works. ANY two. They don't even have to solve the problem. You don't even have to be right. Just DO something.

Related to Linear Algebra: dimension of subspace question

1. What is the definition of a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace in linear algebra is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under vector addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication.

2. How do you determine the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This can be determined by finding the rank of the subspace's basis matrix.

3. Can a subspace have a dimension of 0?

Yes, a subspace can have a dimension of 0 if it only contains the zero vector. This is because the zero vector is linearly independent with itself and spans the subspace.

4. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace, you can check if the vectors are linearly independent and if they span the subspace. This can be done by constructing a matrix with the vectors as its columns and finding the rank of the matrix.

5. Are all subspaces of a vector space of the same dimension?

No, subspaces of a vector space can have different dimensions. For example, a subspace of a 3-dimensional vector space can have a dimension of 2 or 1, depending on the number of linearly independent vectors it contains.