Linear Algebra I: Orthogonal Matrix Condition

In summary, the question asks to determine if a given matrix is orthogonal and find its inverse if it is. The matrix in question is not orthogonal and therefore does not have an inverse. This is determined by checking if the length of the vectors spanning its column space is equal to 1.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I would like to check my reasoning for this problem to make sure I understand what an orthogonal matrix is.

Homework Statement

Determine if the matrix is orthogonal. If orthogonal, find the inverse.

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 2 & 2\\
2 & -1 & 2\\
2 & 2 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

If a matrix [itex]A[/itex] is orthogonal, then
[tex]
A^{-1} = A^T.
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

One of the conditions that must be met for a matrix to be orthogonal is that the length of the vectors spanning its column space must be 1, correct? So, if we let
[tex]
A=\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 2 & 2\\
2 & -1 & 2\\
2 & 2 & -1
\end{pmatrix}=(\mathbf{a}_1,\mathbf{a}_2,\mathbf{a}_3),
[/tex]
then
[tex]
||\mathbf{a}_1||^2 \neq 1,
[/tex]
so a condition for orthogonality has been violated. Thus, [itex]A[/itex] is not orthogonal and there is no need to continue with the problem.

Another way to put it would be to say that the [itex]Col\ A[/itex] is not an orthonormal set, so [itex]A[/itex] is not orthogonal. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is all correct!

micromass said:
That is all correct!

Thanks, micro! :smile:

Related to Linear Algebra I: Orthogonal Matrix Condition

What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where the columns and rows are orthogonal to each other. This means that all the dot products of the column vectors with each other are equal to 0, and the same goes for the row vectors.

How do you determine if a matrix is orthogonal?

A matrix is orthogonal if its inverse is equal to its transpose. In other words, if A is an orthogonal matrix, then A^T = A^(-1).

What is the significance of orthogonal matrices?

Orthogonal matrices are important in linear algebra because they preserve the length and angles of vectors. This makes them useful in applications such as rotations and reflections.

What is the condition for a matrix to be orthogonal?

The condition for a matrix to be orthogonal is that all its column vectors must be unit vectors (length = 1) and orthogonal to each other. This means that the dot product of any two column vectors is equal to 0, and the norm of each column vector is equal to 1.

How are orthogonal matrices used in real-world applications?

Orthogonal matrices are used in a variety of applications, such as computer graphics, data compression, and cryptography. They are also used in solving systems of linear equations and in eigenvalue and eigenvector calculations.