How Many Bills of Each Denomination Make $100 from 32 Bills?

In summary, the problem is to determine the number of $1, $5, and $10 bills in a wallet that add up to $100, given that there are 32 bills in total. Using the equations A+B+C=32 and A+5B+10C=100, it is possible to solve for A and B in terms of C, and then check different values of C to find solutions. However, the problem can also be approached using Diophantine equations, where the number of bills of each denomination must be an integer. It is important to carefully define the set of natural numbers when restricting variables to find solutions.
bleedblue1234

Homework Statement

I have 32 bills in my wallet in the denominations $1, $5, and $10, worth $100 in total. How many of each denomination do I have?

Homework Equations

A= # $1 bills
B= # $5 bills
C= # $10 bills

A+B+C = 32
1A+5B+10C = 100

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to solve for C in terms of A and B in terms of A but I'm getting nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bleedblue1234,

You can only solve for n variables when you have n linearly independent equations. In this case, you have 3 variables and 2 linearly independent equations, so you're one equation short.

But if you choose a value of zero for A, B or C then you reduce the problem to 2 variables and 2 linearly independent equations. What do you get when you try out the different combinations?

Be careful: There is more than one solution.

You can narrow the selection.
$1 can only be in a group of 5.

This not, strictly speaking, a "linear algebra" problem, but a "Diophantine equation" because the "number of bills" of each denomination must be integer. Letting "O", "F", and "T" be, respectively, the number of "ones", "fives" and "tens", we must have O+ F+ T= 32 and O+ 5F+ 10T= 100. Subtracting the first equation from the second, 4F+ 9T= 68.
Now you can use the standard "Eucidean algorithm" to find all possible integer values for F and T and then find O.

Last edited by a moderator:
bleedblue1234 said:

Homework Statement

I have 32 bills in my wallet in the denominations $1, $5, and $10, worth $100 in total. How many of each denomination do I have?

Homework Equations

A= # $1 bills
B= # $5 bills
C= # $10 bills

A+B+C = 32
1A+5B+10C = 100

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to solve for C in terms of A and B in terms of A but I'm getting nowhere.

You can solve for A and B in terms of C, just by solving the two simple equations
A + B = 32 - C
A + 5C = 100 - 10C.

Now you can plug in C = 0, 1, 2, ... and see which values (if any) give you non-negative integer values of A and B.

RGV

Oh, well- if you want to do it the easy way!

Ya I just set the equations equal and restricted B and C to be natural numbers and just checked which B would give me the correct C, which in tern gave me the correct A. Thank you.

bleedblue1234 said:
Ya I just set the equations equal and restricted B and C to be natural numbers and just checked which B would give me the correct C, which in tern gave me the correct A. Thank you.

Be careful with that. Most people (in my experience) define the natural numbers as N = {1, 2, 3, ...} which doesn't include zero. So if you're restricting B and C to natural numbers, as defined above, you may be cheating yourself out of a solution. As I mentioned earlier, there is more than one solution.

Related to How Many Bills of Each Denomination Make $100 from 32 Bills?

1. What is Linear Algebra Money Question?

Linear Algebra Money Question is a mathematical problem that involves using linear algebra concepts to solve financial problems. It typically involves using matrices, vectors, and systems of equations to model and solve problems related to investments, loans, and other financial transactions.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important in the context of money?

Linear Algebra is important in the context of money because it provides a powerful and efficient way to model and solve complex financial problems. It allows us to analyze and optimize investments, loans, and other financial transactions by using mathematical techniques such as matrix operations and systems of equations.

3. Can Linear Algebra be used in real-life financial situations?

Yes, Linear Algebra can be used in real-life financial situations. In fact, many financial institutions use linear algebra concepts and techniques to make informed decisions about investments and loans. Additionally, individuals can also use linear algebra to analyze their personal finances and make strategic financial decisions.

4. Is Linear Algebra Money Question difficult to understand?

The difficulty of Linear Algebra Money Question may vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the individual's understanding of linear algebra concepts. However, with proper study and practice, most people can grasp the basic concepts and use them to solve financial problems effectively.

5. Are there any resources available for learning Linear Algebra Money Question?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Linear Algebra Money Question. These include textbooks, online courses, and tutorials that cover the basics of linear algebra and its application in finance. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer courses specifically on linear algebra for finance students.