Linear independence of Coordinate vectors as columns & rows

In summary, the coordinate vectors of the matrices are represented as rows and columns. However, it does not matter which representation is used when checking for linear dependence. A mistake in the row operations led to a false result, but it was corrected and it was determined that the coordinate vectors are linearly dependent. There is no specific theorem stating that the representation does not matter, but it is generally accepted in linear algebra.
CGandC
Summary:: x

Question:
1608503464166.png

Book's Answer:
1608503489155.png

My attempt:

The coordinate vectors of the matrices w.r.t to the standard basis of ## M_2(\mathbb{R}) ## are:

##
\lbrack A \rbrack = \begin{bmatrix}1\\2\\-3\\4\\0\\1 \end{bmatrix} , \lbrack B \rbrack = \begin{bmatrix}1\\3\\-4\\6\\5\\4 \end{bmatrix} , \lbrack C \rbrack = \begin{bmatrix} 3\\8\\-11\\16\\10\\9 \end{bmatrix}
##
Putting these coordinate vectors in a matrix ( representing a homogeneous system of equations ):## \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 3 & | 0 \\
2 & 3 & 8 & | 0 \\
-3 & -4 & -11 & | 0 \\
4 & 6 & 16 & | 0 \\
0 & 5 & 10 & | 0 \\
1 & 4 & 9 & | 0 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

After many row operations I get the matrix:

## \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & | 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & | 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum.]

Clearly we have 3 leading coefficients, three of them in the first 3 rows, therefore the coordinate vectors ## \lbrack A \rbrack , \lbrack B \rbrack , \lbrack C \rbrack ## are linearly independent, therefore the matrices ## A , B , C ## are linearly independent.

Why am I getting a contradiction to the real answer ( that ## A , B , C ## are linearly dependent )? How I could've a-priori known to represent the coordinate vectors as rows?

Is there a connection to column and row spaces?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter if you represent them as rows or columns. You made a mistake in the work that you did, can you post it?

Turns out I made a mistake in the row operations ( even though I checked beforehand couple of times ), so I get the matrix:

##

\begin{bmatrix}

4 & 6 & 16 & | 0 \\

0 & 5 & 10 & | 0 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & | 0 \\

\end{bmatrix}

##
So the coordinate vectors are clearly linearly dependent.

I have another question: Is there some theorem stating that it won't matter to represent the vectors as columns or rows in order to check linear dependence?

1. What does it mean for coordinate vectors to be linearly independent?

Linear independence of coordinate vectors means that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. In other words, no vector in the set is redundant and each vector adds unique information.

2. How do you determine if coordinate vectors are linearly independent?

To determine if coordinate vectors are linearly independent, you can use the determinant method. Arrange the vectors as columns or rows in a matrix and calculate the determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, the vectors are linearly independent. If the determinant is zero, the vectors are linearly dependent.

3. Can a set of two or more coordinate vectors be linearly independent?

Yes, a set of two or more coordinate vectors can be linearly independent as long as none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. The number of vectors in the set does not determine their linear independence.

4. What is the significance of linear independence of coordinate vectors in linear algebra?

Linear independence of coordinate vectors is important in linear algebra because it allows for the creation of a basis for a vector space. This basis can then be used to represent any vector in the space, making it easier to perform calculations and solve problems.

5. Can a set of coordinate vectors be linearly independent in one coordinate system but dependent in another?

Yes, a set of coordinate vectors can be linearly independent in one coordinate system but dependent in another. This is because the linear independence of vectors is dependent on the chosen coordinate system. Changing the coordinate system can result in a different set of linearly independent vectors.