Linear Algebra Proof: Skew Symmetric Matrix and Odd Number Determinant

In summary, if A is a 3x3 skew symmetric matrix, and det(A) is not zero, then det(A) must be equal to det(A^T).
_Bd_

Homework Statement

If A is a skew symetric matrix (such that A^T = -A)
and A is an nxn matrix with n being an odd number proove that det(A) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

all I can think of is
det(A) = det(A^T)
letting c = -1 det(cA) = c^ndet(A)

but I can't get anymore connections to proove this. . .I tried doing some random example of a 3x3 skew symetric matrix but I didnt get a det=0. . .so I have no clue how to go about this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you took the determinant of a 3x3 skew symmetric matrix and didn't get zero, then you made a mistake. You basically just wrote down the proof. det(A)=det(A^T)=det(-A)=(-1)^n*det(A). Doesn't that show det(A)=0?

Dick said:
If you took the determinant of a 3x3 skew symmetric matrix and didn't get zero, then you made a mistake. You basically just wrote down the proof. det(A)=det(A^T)=det(-A)=(-1)^n*det(A). Doesn't that show det(A)=0?

i don't know. . .I don't see it

det(A)=det(A^T) which means just that if the determinant of A is 4 the determinant of A^T is 4

and the det(-A) =(-1)^n * det(A) which just doesn't mean anything . . .or I don't see it meaning anything? cause i don't know I am thinking about it as say the det of some matrix is 4 then the determinant of the negative of that matrix is 4 * (-1)^n . . .which I still don't see it as a zero. . .?
or maybe my train of thought is wrong? i don't know maybe I did make a mistake in my calculator

_Bd_ said:
i don't know. . .I don't see it

det(A)=det(A^T) which means just that if the determinant of A is 4 the determinant of A^T is 4

and the det(-A) =(-1)^n * det(A) which just doesn't mean anything . . .or I don't see it meaning anything? cause i don't know I am thinking about it as say the det of some matrix is 4 then the determinant of the negative of that matrix is 4 * (-1)^n . . .which I still don't see it as a zero. . .?
or maybe my train of thought is wrong? i don't know maybe I did make a mistake in my calculator

The point is that (-1)^n=(-1) if n is odd. Since you then have det(A)=(-det(A)), what's the only possible value for det(A)?

oooh! now I get it... thanks!

Related to Linear Algebra Proof: Skew Symmetric Matrix and Odd Number Determinant

1. What is a proof in linear algebra?

A proof in linear algebra is a logical argument that shows the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It involves using previously established definitions, axioms, and theorems to demonstrate why a particular statement is true.

2. Why are proofs important in linear algebra?

Proofs are important in linear algebra because they help us understand the underlying principles and concepts of the subject. They also allow us to rigorously verify the validity of mathematical statements and build upon existing knowledge to develop new ideas and theories.

3. What are the key components of a proof in linear algebra?

The key components of a proof in linear algebra include:

• Definitions: precise explanations of the terms used in the statement
  • Axioms: fundamental mathematical principles that serve as the basis for the proof
  • Theorems: previously proven statements that are used to support the current proof
  • Logical reasoning: a step-by-step argument that connects the given information to the conclusion

4. How do you construct a proof in linear algebra?

To construct a proof in linear algebra, you can follow these steps:

• Understand the statement: carefully read and understand the statement that needs to be proven
  • Identify key components: identify the key terms, definitions, axioms, and theorems that are relevant to the statement
  • Choose a proof strategy: determine the most suitable approach to prove the statement, such as direct, indirect, or contradiction
  • Write out the proof: use logical reasoning to connect the given information to the conclusion, making sure to include all necessary steps and justifications
  • Check for errors: review the proof for any errors or gaps in reasoning

5. Are there any tips for writing clear and concise proofs in linear algebra?

Yes, some tips for writing clear and concise proofs in linear algebra include:

• Be organized: present the proof in a clear and logical order, using headings and bullet points if necessary
  • Use precise language: use mathematical symbols and notation to make the proof more concise and avoid ambiguity
  • Provide explanations: explain the reasoning behind each step and how it connects to the conclusion
  • Check your work: review the proof to ensure it is correct and easy to follow