Linear Algebra question: n x n determinants

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the determinant and proving the result for an n by n square tridiagonal matrix. One method suggested is to split the matrix into upper and lower submatrices and take the product of their determinants. Another method is to transform the matrix into an upper diagonal form using row operations and then take the product of the diagonal entries. The conversation also suggests using cofactor expansion to find a recursive formula for the determinant, and using minors and cofactors for the first column to develop a pattern.
willworkforfood
I know what a determinant is and how to solve for it, but in the case of this n x n matrix on my homework, I'm at a complete loss as to how to even begin starting this. I don't expect anyone to work it out for me, just to give me a solid method for how to solve it and prove my method for the n by n case.

The problem states to find the determinant and prove our result for the n by n case for the square n by n matrix defined as:

https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/content/user/whoblitz/Filemanager_Public_Files/matrix.JPG

This is the square (n x n) tridiagonal matrix with 'b' on the first and third diagonal and 'a' on the primary diagonal. Thanks everyone for your help in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the upper non-zero submatrix for U and the lower for L. Then the determinant is the product of their determinants, i.e det(U)det(L)

Last edited:
Can anyone else verify if this method works and if so why? Thanks for your time, incredible.

This method will work.
say you have a matrix
[A 0] say A is n x n and B is m x m then you can write
[0 B]

[A 0] = [A 0] [I 0] so you're matrix is in the form of the product of these
[0 B] [0 I] [0 B]

two matrices. then you can use the product formula for determinants
det(AB)=(detA)(detB)
then and you know that
det[A 0]=detA and the same for B.
[0 I]

Last edited:
I miscopied the problem it would seem, it is actually a tridiagonal matrix rather than the one that previously appeared here. The picture above has been updated to reflect this.

I again have no idea how to do this problem, any and all help is appreciated as before :)

You can find a recursive formula by cofactor expansion. The expansion will be in terms of a, b, the determinant of the same type of matrix of size n-1, and the determinant of a matrix of size n-1 that is almost the same type except it has a b in the top left instead of an a.

But you know, I did the first few determinants on my calculator and I don't see a simple pattern. You might want to use a calculator to solve the recurrence.

Last edited:
try changing it into an upper diagonal matrix (a matrix where all entries below the main diagonal are zero) using these properties
1) interchange two rows which gives a sign change in the determinant
2) multiply all elements in a row by a nonzero scalar which multiplies the determinant by the nonzero scalar
and
3)adding to one row a scalar multiple of the other which leaves the determinant unchanged

then the determinant is the product of the diagonal entries. Don't forget about what operations you used on the matrix to turn it into an upper diagonal because you'll still need to change the determinant accordingly.
i.e. property 1 change the sign of the determinant everytime you interchange two rows etc.

How can I use row operations for the n x n matrix when I don't know how many rows there will be? I don't understand how that yields a formula for the n x n case.

sorry, i wasn't thinking for the n x n case. try using cofactor expansion and i think you'll start to recognize a pattern developing which should be able to help you.

Expand by minors using the first column (or, equivalently, the first row). You should see a recursive method for that.

Thanks everybody

Related to Linear Algebra question: n x n determinants

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It is denoted by the symbol "det(A)" or "|"A"|" and represents certain properties of the matrix, such as its volume or the scaling factor of its transformation.

2. How do you calculate a determinant?

To calculate the determinant of a square matrix, you can use various methods such as expansion by minors, Cramer's rule, or Gaussian elimination. The most common method is using expansion by minors, where you multiply the elements of a row or column by their corresponding cofactors and add them together.

3. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant plays a crucial role in linear algebra as it provides valuable information about the properties of a matrix. It is used to determine if a matrix is invertible, to solve systems of linear equations, and to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. Can the determinant be negative?

Yes, the determinant can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the orientation of the coordinate system used to define the matrix. If the orientation is reversed, the determinant will be negative. However, the absolute value of the determinant remains the same regardless of the orientation.

5. What is the relationship between the determinant and the area/volume of a shape?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix represents the area scaling factor of a shape, while the determinant of a 3x3 matrix represents the volume scaling factor of a shape. This means that if the determinant is 1, the shape's area/volume remains unchanged after a transformation. A determinant of 0 indicates that the shape has collapsed into a line or a point.