Linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions

In summary, the dispersion relation must be generalized to ω=2(∑_(m>0)▒K_m ((〖sin〗^2 (1/2 mka)))/M )^(1/2) |k|. Provided the sum converges, the long wavelength limit of the dispersion relation must be generalized to: ω=a(∑_(m>0)▒〖m^2 K_m/M)^(1/2) |k|.
wildroseopaka
1. Ashcroft and Mermin 22.1
Reexamine the theory of the linear chain without making the assumption that only nearest neighbors interact, using the harmonic potential energy of the form:
U^harm=∑_n▒∑_(m>0)▒1/2 K_m [u(na)-u([n+m]a) ]^(1/2)
Show that the dispersion relation must be generalized to
ω=2(∑_(m>0)▒K_m ((〖sin〗^2 (1/2 mka)))/M )^(1/2)
Show that, provided the sum converges, the long wavelength limit of the dispersion relation must be generalized to:
ω=a(∑_(m>0)▒〖m^2 K_m/M)^(1/2) |k| 〗
Show that if Km = 1/mp (1<p<3), so that the sum does not converge, then in the long wavelength limit
ω∝ k^((p-1)/2)

Hint: it is no longer permissible to use the small-k expansion of the sine in equation a, but one can replace the sum by an integral in the limit of small k.

Homework Equations

: Included in part 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem getting parts a and b, but part c is eluding me. I first replaced the summation with an integral and got:

ω=2(∫_0^k▒〖m^(-p) (〖sin〗^2 (1/2 mka))/M〗 〖dm)〗^(1/2)
I then expanded the sin^2
ω=2(∫_0^k▒〖m^(-p) (1-cos(1/2 mka))/M〗 〖dm)〗^(1/2)
I attempted an integration by parts, but quickly realized that I would end up in a never ending cycle. I then read a tip online (not a solution, but a hint) that one should try expanding cos x. But I keep ending up with

ω∝∫_0^k▒〖m^(-p) (1-(1-m^2 k^2+m^4 k^4-m^6 k^6+m^8 k^8-…)〗 〖dm)〗^(1/2)An
Which, when I integrate, doesn’t seem to give me the right answer. I feel I’m missing something very basic, but I’ve been out of school for several years, and I’ve been banging my head against a wall on this for days now. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a substitution where you let ##u## = the argument of the sine function. Convert the integral over ##m## to a numerical factor times an integral with respect to ##u##. All of the ##k## dependence will be in the numerical factor. So you will not need to worry about doing the integral over ##u## if you just want to find how ##\omega## depends on ##k##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I think that did it.

When p = 3, How to show w~kln(k)?

Related to Linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions

1. What is a linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions?

A linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions refers to a physical system where particles are arranged in a linear chain structure and interact with each other based on their proximity, with the m th nearest neighbor being the mth particle away from the given particle. This type of system is commonly studied in solid state physics and materials science.

2. How do particles interact in a linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions?

The interactions between particles in a linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions can vary depending on the specific system being studied. Generally, the interactions can be described using mathematical models such as the Ising model or the Heisenberg model, which take into account factors like spin, energy, and distance between particles.

3. What are some applications of studying linear chains with m th nearest neighbor interactions?

Studying linear chains with m th nearest neighbor interactions has many practical applications, including understanding the behavior of materials and developing new materials with desired properties. It is also important in fields like nanotechnology, where the arrangement and interactions of particles play a crucial role in the properties of nanomaterials.

4. How is the m th nearest neighbor determined in a linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions?

The m th nearest neighbor is determined by counting the number of particles between the given particle and its mth nearest neighbor. This can be done using mathematical models or through experimental techniques such as X-ray diffraction.

5. What are some factors that can affect the interactions in a linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions?

The interactions in a linear chain with m th nearest neighbor interactions can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the arrangement of particles in the chain. Additionally, external factors like electric or magnetic fields can also influence the interactions between particles in the chain.