Linear Dependence in High-Dimensional Vector Spaces

In summary: A set of vectors is linearly dependent if you can write c1*v1+...cn*vn=0 with not all of the cn equal 0. Why don't you try using that?In summary, the homework statement is that if at least one vector in a set is a linear combination of the others, then the set is linearly dependent.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Let S = {[itex]v_{1}, v_{2}, \cdots , v_{n}[/itex]}
S is linear dependent iff at least one v in S is a linear combination of the others.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From here on, just take v to be a vector, and x to be some scalar please.

I really just wanted to check my understanding of this.

If I generalize this to the case where S contains 1 vector v, then S is linear independent iff v is not the zero vector. This is because if you write v as a linear combination xv, then xv=0 has only the trivial solution where v!=0. Likewise, if v=0, then x could be any real number in xv=0, and there are infinitely many non-trivial solutions (linearly dependent).

This all makes sense from a geometric standpoint to me. I am more concerned about the case where S contains 1+n vectors.

S is linearly dependent iff at least one v in S is a linear combination of the others.

So, if S = {v,u,w}, and w is a linear combination of v and u, then w is in span{v,u} and S is linearly dependent. The same case can be made for R^3 without any issue. I am having trouble checking whether this is true for R^n.

For instance, if S = {a,b,c,d}, and a,b,c,d each lie on a line through the different axis, then span{S} is some 4d surface thingy. a,b,c lie on a line through three different axis, and d is some linear combination of a,b,c? Clearly then, by that theorem, S is linearly dependent. So any time there is a linear dependence between any 2 vectors in a set, the set is linearly dependent? Regardless of dimension?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A set of vectors is linearly dependent if you can write c1*v1+...cn*vn=0 with not all of the cn equal 0. Why don't you try using that?

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

Let S = {[itex]v_{1}, v_{2}, \cdots , v_{n}[/itex]}
S is linear dependent iff at least one v in S is a linear combination of the others.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From here on, just take v to be a vector, and x to be some scalar please.

I really just wanted to check my understanding of this.

If I generalize this to the case where S contains 1 vector v, then S is linear independent iff v is not the zero vector. This is because if you write v as a linear combination xv, then xv=0 has only the trivial solution where v!=0. Likewise, if v=0, then x could be any real number in xv=0, and there are infinitely many non-trivial solutions (linearly dependent).

This all makes sense from a geometric standpoint to me. I am more concerned about the case where S contains 1+n vectors.
You seem to be leaving out some information here. Before, you simply noted that you had a set of n vectors. Now, making it n+ 1 doesn't change anything. In this last part, are we to assume that these vectors are in a vector space of dimension n?

If that is the case, then the definition of "dimension" says that there exist a basis for the space containing n vectors. Writing the n+1 vectors in terms of the basis vectors gives n+1 equations in terms of n coefficients.

S is linearly dependent iff at least one v in S is a linear combination of the others.

So, if S = {v,u,w}, and w is a linear combination of v and u, then w is in span{v,u} and S is linearly dependent. The same case can be made for R^3 without any issue. I am having trouble checking whether this is true for R^n.

For instance, if S = {a,b,c,d}, and a,b,c,d each lie on a line through the different axis, then span{S} is some 4d surface thingy. a,b,c lie on a line through three different axis, and d is some linear combination of a,b,c? Clearly then, by that theorem, S is linearly dependent. So any time there is a linear dependence between any 2 vectors in a set, the set is linearly dependent? Regardless of dimension?

1. What is linear dependence of a set?

Linear dependence of a set refers to the relationship between vectors in a set, where one or more vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

2. How do you determine if a set is linearly dependent?

A set is linearly dependent if at least one vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This means that the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors must be equal to 0.

3. What is the difference between linear dependence and linear independence?

Linear dependence refers to the relationship between vectors in a set, where one or more vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors. Linear independence, on the other hand, refers to a set of vectors where none of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.

4. Can a set with only two vectors be linearly dependent?

Yes, a set with only two vectors can be linearly dependent if one vector is a scalar multiple of the other. In other words, if one vector can be obtained by multiplying the other vector by a constant, then the set is linearly dependent.

5. How is linear dependence related to the concept of spanning?

A set of vectors that are linearly dependent cannot span the entire vector space. This is because one of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the others, meaning it doesn't add any new information to the set. A set of linearly independent vectors, on the other hand, can span the entire vector space.