Linear expansion of steel versus copper with increasing temperature

In summary, the conversation involves using the equation L = Lo (1+ α * ẟT) to calculate the change in length of steel and copper components at different temperatures. The initial length and temperature are known, and the task is to find the change in length at a different temperature. It is suggested to try with L = 10 cm at 15°C and L = 10 cm at 150°C to see if there is a significant difference in the answer. The equation can also be written as ##\delta L=L_0\alpha \delta T## and the task involves combining the information from the first and second diagrams.
Eerik
Homework Statement
Two engine components, made of steel and copper, are each 10 cm in length and are fixed so that they are only free to expend towards one another, so closing the gap between them as temperature rises. Calculate the clearance between them when the engine is at 15°C if there is to be a gap of 1 mm between them when the engine is at its running temperature of 150°C.

Linear expansivity of steel = 11 * 10^-6 per kelvin
Linear expansivity of copper = 17 * 10^-6 per kelvin
Relevant Equations
ẟL / Lo = α * ẟT
L = Lo (1+ α * ẟT)

ẟL = change in length
Lo = original length
L = new length
α = linear expansivity
ẟT = change in temperature
Here I'm going to show all that I've understood -
Zx6JB80.png

5n0MHBN.png

q9lv1zo.png

What I've attempted -

L = Lo (1+ α * ẟT)

ẟT = 150°C - 15°C = 135°C
(Steel) L = ẟL (1 + 11 * 10^-6 * 135)
(Copper) L = ẟL (1 + 17 * 10^-6 * 135)
This doesn't get me anywhere, obviously.

Am I supposed to understand from the task that the temperature is 15°C when the two engine components are 10cm length? Because then the task is rather simple. But I don't see it being implied in any way.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try it with L = 10 cm at 15°C, and again with L = 10 cm at 150°C. See if there is any significant difference in the answer.

Eerik said:
What I've attempted -

L = Lo (1+ α * ẟT)

This equation is correct. But it’s easier to write

##\delta L=L_0\alpha \delta T##

Last edited:
Likes Eerik
My reading of the problem is that you should combine the first and second diagrams (known initial length + known initial temperature). Generally, with simple questions like this, you have all the information for one condition and partial information for another condition.

Likes Eerik

1. What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion is the change in length of a material when it is heated or cooled. It is a result of the particles in the material moving faster or slower with changes in temperature.

2. How does steel and copper differ in terms of linear expansion?

Steel and copper have different coefficients of linear expansion, meaning they expand at different rates with changes in temperature. Steel has a higher coefficient of expansion, meaning it expands more with increasing temperature compared to copper.

3. What factors affect the linear expansion of steel and copper?

The coefficient of linear expansion for steel and copper is affected by the material's composition, structure, and temperature. The type of steel or copper alloy also plays a role in determining their coefficients of expansion.

4. How is the linear expansion of steel and copper measured?

The linear expansion of steel and copper is typically measured using a device called a dilatometer. This instrument measures the change in length of a material with changes in temperature and can provide the coefficient of linear expansion for the material.

5. Why is understanding the linear expansion of steel and copper important?

Understanding the linear expansion of materials like steel and copper is important in many industries, such as construction and engineering. It allows for accurate predictions of how a material will behave with changes in temperature, and helps in the design and construction of structures that can withstand these changes without damage.