Thermal coefficients of expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a brass rod and a copper sheet with different linear expansion coefficients. The equation for calculating thermal expansion is incorrect and should be corrected to L=L0(1+αΔT). The question is then asked about the new radius of the rod and the hole in the sheet after a temperature change. The conversation ends with a request for a verbal explanation of the concept of thermal expansion.
Brian13

Homework Statement

A brass rod (linear expansion coef 19*10-6/°C) has a radius of 8139 cm and a copper (linear expansion coef 17*10-6/°C) sheet has a hole or radius 8139+8.86cm. What temperature change (K) is required to close the gap?

Homework Equations

ΔL/Lo = αΔT?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure if the equation is right, so I'm really confused. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brian13 said:

Homework Statement

A brass rod (linear expansion coef 19*10-6/°C) has a radius of 8139 cm and a copper (linear expansion coef 17*10-6/°C) sheet has a hole or radius 8139+8.86cm. What temperature change (K) is required to close the gap?

Homework Equations

ΔL/Lo = αΔT?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure if the equation is right, so I'm really confused. Thanks for the help!
That's some rod, if it has a diameter of over 16 meters!

Are you certain these are the dimensions for this problem?

I'm positive!

The equation is not correct. It should be:
$$L=L_0(1+\alpha \Delta T)$$So, if the temperature rises ΔT, in terms of #\Delta T#, what it the new radius of the rod? What is the new radius of the hole in the sheet?

I'm not entirely sure. I don't really understand the formula, so I'm having a hard time really wrapping my mind around it. I don't know what the L represents.

Brian13 said:
I'm not entirely sure. I don't really understand the formula, so I'm having a hard time really wrapping my mind around it. I don't know what the L represents.
Please say in words your understanding of the concept of thermal expansion.

Chet

1. What is the definition of thermal coefficient of expansion?

The thermal coefficient of expansion is a measure of the change in size or volume of a material in response to a change in temperature. It is typically expressed in units of length per unit length per degree Celsius (or Kelvin).

2. How does thermal coefficient of expansion relate to temperature changes?

The thermal coefficient of expansion indicates how much a material will expand or contract as the temperature changes. A higher coefficient means that the material will expand or contract more than a material with a lower coefficient.

3. What factors affect the thermal coefficient of expansion?

The thermal coefficient of expansion is influenced by the type of material, its chemical composition, and its crystal structure. It also varies depending on the temperature range and the direction in which the material is being measured.

4. Why is the thermal coefficient of expansion important?

The thermal coefficient of expansion is important in understanding the behavior of materials in response to temperature changes. It is used in a variety of applications, such as in the design and construction of buildings and bridges, in the production of electronic devices, and in the manufacturing of everyday objects like glass bottles and metal containers.

5. How is the thermal coefficient of expansion measured?

The thermal coefficient of expansion can be measured using various techniques, such as dilatometry, interferometry, or optical pyrometry. These methods involve subjecting a sample of the material to controlled temperature changes and measuring its dimensional changes. The resulting data is then used to calculate the thermal coefficient of expansion.