Linear: Find a set of basic solutions and show as linear combination

In summary, the conversation discussed finding a set of basic solutions and expressing the general solution as a linear combination of these basic solutions. The reduced equations were solved, resulting in the free variables b and e being expressed in terms of the other variables. The general solution was then written as a linear combination of these basic solutions, with the values for b and e being chosen freely.
sumtingwong59

Homework Statement

Find a set of basic solutions and express the general solution as a linear combination of these basic solutions

a + 2b - c + 2d + e = 0
a + 2b + 2c + e = 0
2a + 4b - 2c + 3d + e = 0

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
i reduced it to:
1 2 0 0 -1 0
0 0 1 0 2/3 0
0 0 0 1 1 0

a = -2s + t
c = -2/3t
d = -t

I'm just not sure how i find solutions now. It could be literally anything could it not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your arithmetic is correct (I didn't check), you have let the free variables ##b = s## and ##e = t##. I'm going to leave them as ##b## and ##e##. Write your solution as$$
\left (\begin{array}{c}
a\\b\\c\\d\\e
\end{array}\right)
=
\left (\begin{array}{c}
-2b+e\\b\\-\frac 2 3 e\\-e\\e
\end{array}\right)
=
b\left (\begin{array}{c}
?\\?\\?\\?\\?
\end{array}\right)
+ e
\left (\begin{array}{c}
?\\?\\?\\?\\?
\end{array}\right)
$$Fill in the ?'s and you will have it.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Assuming your arithmetic is correct (I didn't check), you have let the free variables ##b = s## and ##e = t##. I'm going to leave them as ##b## and ##e##. Write your solution as$$
\left (\begin{array}{c}
a\\b\\c\\d\\e
\end{array}\right)
=
\left (\begin{array}{c}
-2b+e\\b\\-\frac 2 3 e\\-e\\e
\end{array}\right)
=
b\left (\begin{array}{c}
?\\?\\?\\?\\?
\end{array}\right)
+ c
\left (\begin{array}{c}
?\\?\\?\\?\\?
\end{array}\right)
$$Fill in the ?'s and you will have it.

Do I just pick any number to plug into b and e, and then pick different numbers and plug them into the c bracket?

Do I just want to make it so each equation equals 0?

sumtingwong59 said:
Do I just pick any number to plug into b and e, and then pick different numbers and plug them into the c bracket?

The ##c## in front of the last bracket was a typo; I have corrected it to ##e##. Fill in the ?'s and there is nothing left to do. Every solution can be gotten for some value of ##b## and ##e##. That is the general solution.

Last edited:

What is a basic solution in linear algebra?

A basic solution is a vector that satisfies a system of linear equations. It is a solution that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of other solutions in the system.

How do you find a set of basic solutions?

To find a set of basic solutions, you need to first solve the system of linear equations and then identify the free variables. The basic solutions will be the vectors with the free variables set to 0 and the other variables set to the values obtained from solving the system.

What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation in which two or more vectors are added or subtracted, and then multiplied by a scalar. The result is a new vector that is a combination of the original vectors.

Why is it important to show a set of basic solutions as a linear combination?

Showing a set of basic solutions as a linear combination allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the solutions and the system of linear equations. It also helps to identify the basis of the solution space.

Can a set of basic solutions have more than one linear combination?

Yes, a set of basic solutions can have more than one linear combination. This is because there are infinite ways to combine the basic solutions to form new solutions to the system of linear equations.