Linear law with charging a capacitor

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment with charging a capacitor using a resistor and the attempt to prove the equation of charging a capacitor using linear law. The conversation includes equations and attempts to plot a graph, but there are some mistakes made along the way. The conversation ends with one person seeking help with solving a mathematical equation.
nelsyeung
I've started an experiment lately with charging a capacitor through a resistor, I wanted to prove that the equation of charging capacitor by using linear law, but it didn't quite work and needed help.

This is what I've done:
Equation of charging a capacitor:
V = [tex]V_{max}[/tex](1-[tex]e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex])
Multiply out of bracket:

V = [tex]V_{max}[/tex] - [tex]V_{max}[/tex] [tex]e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]
Apply natural log to remove the e:

ln(V) = ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex]) - ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex] [tex]e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex])
Use laws of logs and ln(e) will cancels out:

ln(V) = ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex]) - ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex]) + [tex]\frac{-t}{RC}[/tex]
ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex]) - ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex]) = 0, therefore:

ln(V) = [tex]\frac{-t}{rc}[/tex]

So this tells me if I plot a graph with ln(V) against t, I should get a straight line, but it doesn't, the new graph looks identical to the first graph I drew only with different values, and also I found out that using that formula created by linear law, I can seem to get it back to the original equation.. :( Please help.

Thanks, Nels

Physics news on Phys.org
nelsyeung said:
V = [tex]V_{max}[/tex] - [tex]V_{max}[/tex] [tex]e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

ln(V) = ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex]) - ln([tex]V_{max}[/tex] [tex]e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex])
Incorrect here. Please check.

You have to find out Vmax from experimental data first before you plot ln(1-V/Vmax).

wywong said:
Incorrect here. Please check.

You have to find out Vmax from experimental data first before you plot ln(1-V/Vmax).

eh? Well firstly I've tried that and it didn't work, but with linear law, I have to get an equation down to Y = mX + c first. Where Y and X can only be variables, so it can't attach to any constant, but I can't seem to do that. :( Can someone tell me is the capacitor charging equation actually been proven first by linear law?

V = [tex]V_{max} - V_{max}e^\frac{-t}{RC}[/tex]

[tex]ln(V) = ln(V_{max}) - ln(V_{max} e^\frac{-t}{RC})[/tex]
Let me tell you what you did wrong.
[tex]ln(V) = ln(V_{max}-V_{max}e^\frac{-t}{RC})[/tex]
[tex]\; \neq ln(V_{max})-ln(V_{max}e^\frac{-t}{RC})[/tex]
Well firstly I've tried that and it didn't work
What have you tried? Did you try plotting [tex]ln(1-\frac{V}{V_{max}})[/tex] against t and fail to get a straight line, or did you fail to recognize it is of exactly the form y=mx+c, or did you try but fail to arrive at [tex]t/RC = -ln(1-\frac{V}{V_{max}})[/tex]?

wywong said:
Let me tell you what you did wrong.
[tex]ln(V) = ln(V_{max}-V_{max}e^\frac{-t}{RC})[/tex]
[tex]\; \neq ln(V_{max})-ln(V_{max}e^\frac{-t}{RC})[/tex]

What have you tried? Did you try plotting [tex]ln(1-\frac{V}{V_{max}})[/tex] against t and fail to get a straight line, or did you fail to recognize it is of exactly the form y=mx+c, or did you try but fail to arrive at [tex]t/RC = -ln(1-\frac{V}{V_{max}})[/tex]?

Well i made the most retarded errors ever, i did try to plot [tex]ln(1-\frac{V}{V_{max}})[/tex] against t, but i done it to discharging table I've made. -_-' but anyway since I done it right now, I can't resolve the problem when V = Vmax, the answer can't be calculated. so from my table at 60 seconds I can't plot that point on the graph. :(

Last edited:
You don't get [tex]V_{max}[/tex] from your plot; it is the voltage that stays the same for 2 or more measurements. For example, if V=5V after 1 min, V=5.1V after 2 min, V=5.1V after 3 min, then 5.1V is [tex]V_{max}[/tex]. Don't try to plot those point when [tex]V_{max}[/tex] has been reached, because you can't.

If you have stopped taking measurements before a steady voltage is reached, you may want to retake the measurements. If that is impossible, you may have to assume the last reading is [tex]V_{max}[/tex] and don't plot that point. See if the other points fit a straight line.

wywong said:
You don't get [tex]V_{max}[/tex] from your plot; it is the voltage that stays the same for 2 or more measurements. For example, if V=5V after 1 min, V=5.1V after 2 min, V=5.1V after 3 min, then 5.1V is [tex]V_{max}[/tex]. Don't try to plot those point when [tex]V_{max}[/tex] has been reached, because you can't.

If you have stopped taking measurements before a steady voltage is reached, you may want to retake the measurements. If that is impossible, you may have to assume the last reading is [tex]V_{max}[/tex] and don't plot that point. See if the other points fit a straight line.

ok thanks. its done now.

But I want help with these two equations:
I want to solve for t.
V= -o.o357t + 5.3
V= 5.3(1-e^(-t/10)

nelsyeung said:
V= -o.o357t + 5.3
V= 5.3(1-e^(-t/10)
When you subtract the first equation from the second, you get
[tex]0=0.0357t-5.3e^\frac{-t}{10}[/tex]
[tex]t=-10ln(0.00673585t)[/tex]

I am not aware of a simple solution to the above equation. You may need to plot a graph or use methods such as successive approximation (throw in an arbitrary starting value for t, say 10, and plug into the RHS to get the next, closer, value and repeat until t becomes steady). Successive approximation does not always work, but I can assure you it will work this time.

Related to Linear law with charging a capacitor

1. What is a linear law in relation to charging a capacitor?

A linear law in relation to charging a capacitor refers to the relationship between the voltage and time during the charging process. In a linear charging process, the voltage across a capacitor increases at a constant rate over time.

2. How does the linear law affect the charging time of a capacitor?

The linear law affects the charging time of a capacitor by determining how fast the voltage across the capacitor increases. In a linear charging process, the voltage increases at a constant rate, which means the charging time is directly proportional to the capacitance and inversely proportional to the charging current.

3. What is the formula for the linear law in charging a capacitor?

The formula for the linear law in charging a capacitor is V(t) = V0(1 - e-t/RC), where V(t) is the voltage across the capacitor at time t, V0 is the initial voltage, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. Can the linear law be applied to discharging a capacitor?

Yes, the linear law can also be applied to the process of discharging a capacitor. In this case, the voltage across the capacitor decreases at a constant rate over time, following the same formula as the charging process.

5. What is the significance of the linear law in practical applications?

The linear law is important in practical applications as it helps to determine the charging and discharging time of capacitors in electronic circuits. It also allows engineers to design circuits with specific charging and discharging characteristics to meet the requirements of various electronic devices.