Linear momentum acting on a bullet

In summary, the conversation discussed a test question involving a bullet with a mass of 0.016KG and a force acting on it described by the equation f=7000N-2.2*10^6N/s*t. The bullet was traveling 800 k/h when it left the gun and the question asked for the total linear impulse on the bullet and the time it took to leave the gun. The conversation then discussed using the equation L1+IMP=L2 and a quadratic equation to find the unknown variable t. There was also a question about determining which root was correct and a clarification that simply multiplying force by time would not give the total impulse due to the force not being constant.
suspenc3
I recently had a test question that gave a force acting on a bullet. The bullets mass is 0.016KG, and the force acting on the bullet is f=7000N-2.2*10^6N/s*t. The bullet is traveling 800 k/h when it leaves the gun

It asked to find the total linear impulse on the bullet, and then how much time it took to leave the gun.

[tex]L1+IMP=L2[/tex]
L1 is zero since zero initial velocity

[tex]f*t=m*vf[/tex]

this gives a quadratic only unknown is t

how do I know which root is correct?

BTW the two I get are 0.000633 s and 0.0025 s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have the total impulse, don't you want to just integrate f(t)dt and set that equal to the total impulse? You can't just take force times time. The force isn't constant.

I would first clarify the units for the given force as they seem to be in N/s*t, which is not a standard unit for force. It is important to use consistent and accurate units in any scientific calculation.

Next, I would use the equation for linear momentum, p=mv, to find the initial momentum of the bullet. In this case, the initial momentum would be 0, as the bullet starts from rest.

Then, I would use the given force and the equation for impulse, J=F*t, to find the total linear impulse on the bullet. This impulse would be equal to the change in momentum of the bullet, which can be calculated as the final momentum (mv) minus the initial momentum (0).

Once the total linear impulse is known, I would use the equation for impulse again, but this time solving for time, to find the time it took for the bullet to leave the gun. It is important to note that there may be multiple roots for this equation, but only one of them would be physically meaningful. The correct root would be the one that yields a positive time value, as the bullet cannot leave the gun in negative time.

In conclusion, to find the total linear impulse on a bullet and the time it takes to leave the gun, one would need to use the equations for linear momentum and impulse, while also paying attention to consistent units and choosing the physically meaningful root for the equation.

Related to Linear momentum acting on a bullet

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. Specifically, it is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does linear momentum apply to a bullet?

When a bullet is fired from a gun, it has a certain mass and velocity. This combination of mass and velocity gives the bullet a specific linear momentum. As the bullet travels through the air, this momentum helps to keep it moving forward and allows it to penetrate through objects.

3. What factors affect the linear momentum of a bullet?

The main factors that affect the linear momentum of a bullet are its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity of the bullet, the greater its linear momentum will be. Other factors that can affect linear momentum include air resistance, gravity, and any external forces acting on the bullet.

4. How is linear momentum conserved in a bullet's trajectory?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system (such as a bullet and gun) remains constant. This means that as the bullet is fired, it gains a certain amount of momentum, and as it travels through the air and hits a target, it transfers some of that momentum to the target. However, the total momentum of the system remains the same.

5. How is linear momentum different from kinetic energy?

While both linear momentum and kinetic energy are measures of an object's motion, they are different quantities. Linear momentum is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity that only considers an object's mass and speed. Additionally, linear momentum is conserved in a closed system, while kinetic energy is not necessarily conserved.