Linear operator exercise i can't understand

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of (3B+2A2)x, where x=(x1,x2,x3), Ax:=(x2-x3,x1,x1+x3), and Bx:=(x2,2x3,x1). The solution involves constructing matrices for A and B and using matrix multiplication, which is associative. The conversation also mentions the use of indices, but it is recommended to focus on constructing the matrices for a clearer understanding of the problem.
Deimantas

Homework Statement

Let x=(x1,x2,x3), Ax:=(x2-x3,x1,x1+x3), Bx:=(x2,2x3,x1)

Find: (3B+2A2)x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Warning: I have no idea what I'm doing!

(3B+2A2)x = 3Bx+2A2x

3Bx = (3x2,6x3,3x1)

Now to find 2A2x. Considering that an index has a higher priority than multiplication, the following is probably illegal:

2*A*Ax = 2* A(x2-x3,x1,x1+x3) = 2 * (x1-x1-x3,x2-x3,x2-x3+x1+x3) = (-2x3,2x2-2x3,2x2+2x1)

Now to sum up:

(3x2,6x3,3x1) + (-2x3,2x2-2x3,2x2+2x1)...

Suggestions? I don't even know what kind of exercise this really is, so I was unable to find anything helpful on the internet...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and construct the matrices of A and B, you might find that more helpful

You've done the right thing where you said [itex]2A^2x=2AAx[/itex]
I'm not sure what you mean by 'an index has a higher priority than multiplication', an index IS multiplication. Sounds like you've not washed that FOIL/BEMDAS/OoO stuff out of your head :biggrin:
Matrix multiplication is assosiative, you can multiply the two A's or the 2 by an A in whatever order you want.

Related to Linear operator exercise i can't understand

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to itself. It preserves the vector space structure, meaning that the output of the function is still within the same vector space as the input.

2. How do I know if an operator is linear?

An operator is linear if it follows the two properties of additivity and homogeneity. Additivity means that the operator satisfies the equation f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y). Homogeneity means that the operator satisfies the equation f(ax) = af(x) for any scalar a and vector x.

3. What is the difference between a linear operator and a linear transformation?

A linear operator is a function that maps a vector to another vector in the same vector space, while a linear transformation is a function that maps a vector from one vector space to another vector space. In other words, a linear operator operates within the same vector space, while a linear transformation can change the vector space.

4. How can I visualize a linear operator?

A linear operator can be visualized as a geometric transformation, where the input vector is transformed into the output vector. For example, a rotation or reflection of a vector can be represented as a linear operator.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear operators?

Linear operators are widely used in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, computer graphics, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in solving differential equations, modeling physical systems, and analyzing data sets.