Patch Antenna Inset Feed Past Exam Question

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand what 3.d) is referring to in terms of the antenna design. The textbook being used does not provide much information on it except for mentioning that it may introduce some capacitance and affect the resonance by up to 1%. The lecturer's answer for 3.c) may be incorrect and the correct answer is around 9mm, based on a given equation. However, the width of the inset gap for 3.d) is still unknown and may have something to do with the phase of the wave. The speaker is looking for some guidance on how to approach this part of the design.
fred3142
I'm trying to work out what 3.d) is meant to be. I'm not entirely sure which part of the antenna it is referring to; I assume it's referring to width of the gap between the feed and the patch. If this is the case, I have no idea what width one would want to make it. I would've thought as small as possible to not perturb the antenna much.

As far as I can tell, the textbook we're using (Antenna Theory: Analysis And Design by Balanis) doesn't really talk about it, except for saying that it'll introduce some capacitance and perhaps shift the resonance by up to 1%.

Question The red numbers are the lecturer's answers. I'm not really sure how he got 13.36mm for 3.c). I believe the inset should be about 9mm based on:
[tex]R_{in} (y=y_0) = R_{in}(y=0) \cos^2\left(\frac{\pi}{L} y_0\right) \\
75=150 \cos^2\left(\frac{\pi}{40.1\text{m}} y_0\right) \\
y_{0} \approx 9\,\text{mm}[/tex]

I really have no idea about part 3.d) though.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 06142014 - 08:18:59 AM.png
    Screenshot - 06142014 - 08:18:59 AM.png
    26 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I can confirm that the lecturers answer for the width is simple wrong and what I've done is correct.

As for the width the inset gap has to be, I still don't know. I think it is meant to have something to do with the phase of the wave (perhaps it should be made, say, half or quarter wavelength).

1. What is a patch antenna inset feed?

A patch antenna inset feed is a type of antenna that uses a metal patch on a substrate as the radiating element. The feed is the connection between the patch and the transmission line, which provides the electrical signal to the antenna.

2. How does the feeding structure affect the performance of a patch antenna?

The feeding structure plays a crucial role in the overall performance of a patch antenna. It affects parameters such as bandwidth, gain, and radiation pattern. A well-designed feeding structure can improve the antenna's efficiency and reduce losses.

3. What are the advantages of using an inset feed for a patch antenna?

Inset feed offers several advantages for patch antennas, including a wide bandwidth, low radiation losses, and ease of integration with other microwave circuits. It also allows for precise control of the antenna's impedance and radiation pattern.

4. How can I determine the feed location for a patch antenna?

The feed location for a patch antenna can be determined through simulations or experiments. Simulation tools such as HFSS or CST can help optimize the feed location for desired characteristics. Alternatively, you can experiment with different feed locations and measure the antenna's performance to find the optimal location.

5. What are some common challenges when designing a patch antenna with an inset feed?

Some common challenges when designing a patch antenna with an inset feed include achieving a wide bandwidth, maintaining a low profile, and minimizing losses. The feed structure's design and placement also play a significant role in the antenna's performance, and it can be challenging to find the optimal configuration.