Linear speed/how many revolutions are made?

In summary, the problem involves a quarterback throwing a pass with a perfect spiral, spinning at a rate of 7.7 rev/s. The ball has a linear speed of 19 m/s and is thrown at an angle of 55 degrees. The question asks how many revolutions the ball makes while in the air if it is caught at the same height it was thrown. To solve this, you need to solve the projectile motion problem to determine the time the ball spends in the air, and then calculate the number of spins that would occur during that time. The formula used in the attempt at a solution is incorrect, as it combines the translational motion of the ball with its spin.
sweetwilliam

Homework Statement

a quarter back throws a pass that is a perfect spiral, and the spins at 7.7 rev/s. the linear speed is 19 m/s and at an angle 55. if the ball is caught the same height it is thrown, how many rev. has the ball made while in the air?

Homework Equations

ω^2 = ωnot^2 + 2(alpha) (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

ω^2= (48rad/s)^2+ 2(19m/s)(55) = 66.56 rad/2pi= 104.56 rev
this answer is not right...i think that alpha is something else like a/r but i don't have r...thanks for help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sweetwilliam said:

Homework Statement

a quarter back throws a pass that is a perfect spiral, and the spins at 7.7 rev/s. the linear speed is 19 m/s and at an angle 55. if the ball is caught the same height it is thrown, how many rev. has the ball made while in the air?

Homework Equations

ω^2 = ωnot^2 + 2(alpha) (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

ω^2= (48rad/s)^2+ 2(19m/s)(55) = 66.56 rad/2pi= 104.56 rev
this answer is not right...i think that alpha is something else like a/r but i don't have r...thanks for help

You seem to be confusing two independent motions: the translational motion of the ball through the air, and the ball's spin. These two are separate and unrelated (i.e. they do not influence each other). So, you basically have two problems to solve:

1. Solve the projectile motion problem to figure out how long the ball stays in the air (given the initial speed and launch angle).

2. Figure out how many spins would have occurred during the time spent in the air computed in part 1.

ok ill try that thank you!

1. What is linear speed and how is it calculated?

Linear speed is the distance travelled per unit of time, and it is calculated by dividing the distance travelled by the time it takes to travel that distance. The unit of measurement for linear speed is typically meters per second (m/s).

2. How is linear speed different from angular speed?

Linear speed refers to the speed at which an object is moving in a straight line, while angular speed refers to the speed at which an object is rotating around a fixed point. Angular speed is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. How do you convert from linear speed to angular speed?

To convert from linear speed to angular speed, you can use the formula: angular speed = linear speed / radius. This formula assumes that the object is moving in a circular path with a fixed radius. The resulting unit of measurement for angular speed is radians per second (rad/s).

4. How many revolutions are made in a given amount of time?

The number of revolutions made in a given amount of time depends on the angular speed of the object. To calculate the number of revolutions, you can use the formula: number of revolutions = (angular speed * time) / 2π. This formula assumes that the object is moving at a constant angular speed.

5. How can I measure linear speed or angular speed in a real-world scenario?

To measure linear speed, you can use a stopwatch to time how long it takes for an object to travel a known distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to calculate the linear speed. To measure angular speed, you can use a tachometer, which measures the revolutions per minute (RPM) of a rotating object and can be converted to angular speed using the formula: angular speed = (2π * RPM) / 60.