Linear system - calculate output signal

In summary: You take each frequency component (harmonics"), starting with the zero'th (dc), multiply by the corrseponding |H(jw)| of your system amplitude spectrum, and form the corresponding new sum.In summary,I completed task a), I got $$u(t)=\frac{3}{2}+\sum_{n=-\infty,n\neq 0}^{n=\infty}\frac{1}{2n\pi }(\sin{\frac{3n\pi}{2}}-\sin{\frac{n\pi}{2}})e^{jn\frac{2\pi}{0.5*10^{-3}}t},
etf
Hi!

Homework Statement

postavka.jpg

a) Calculate and sketch amplitude spectrum of u(t),
b) u(t) is input signal for linear time invariant system whose transfer function H(jw) is shown. Calculate output signal uo(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I completed task a), I got $$u(t)=\frac{3}{2}+\sum_{n=-\infty,n\neq 0}^{n=\infty}\frac{1}{2n\pi }(\sin{\frac{3n\pi}{2}}-\sin{\frac{n\pi}{2}})e^{jn\frac{2\pi}{0.5*10^{-3}}t},$$ where amplitude spectrum is $$F_n=|F_n|=\frac{1}{2n\pi }(\sin{\frac{3n\pi}{2}}-\sin{\frac{n\pi}{2}}).$$ Any suggestion about task b) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why should I use Fourier transform?

etf said:
Why should I use Fourier transform?
Only way I can think of.

Frequency components with w<wc/2 gets multiplied with 1 and and the frequency components between wc/2 and wc gets multiplied 1/2. Since, output is convolution of input and impulse response of the system, in frequency domain it becomes the multiplication of frequency spectrum of both the signals.

Likes etf
Thanks for reply, but I'm still confused :( Here is "step by step" tutorial from my book:
1. Define excitation in frequency domain: Xn or X(jw)
I did it already, $$u(t)=\frac{3}{2}+\sum_{n=-\infty,n\neq 0}^{n=\infty}\frac{1}{2n\pi }(\sin{\frac{3n\pi}{2}}-\sin{\frac{n\pi}{2}})e^{jn\frac{2\pi}{0.5*10^{-3}}t},$$ where amplitude spectrum is $$F_n=|F_n|=\frac{1}{2n\pi }(\sin{\frac{3n\pi}{2}}-\sin{\frac{n\pi}{2}}).$$ (Xn from book is Fn here).
2. Multiply transfer function of system and spectrum of excitation (H(jw)Xn or H(jw)X(jw) to get response in frequency domain: Yn or Y(jw)
But my transfer function is piecewise defined, it's 1 in interval w<wc/2 and 1/2 between wc/2 and wc.
3. Apply inverse Fourier transform to find analytical expression for output signal

Looks like your input is a pulse train. I thought it was just a pulse.
In which case you can do as post # 5 suggests.
So you take each of your frequency components (harmonics"), starting with the zero'th (dc), multiply by the corrseponding |H(jw)| of your system amplitude spectrum, and form the corresponding new sum.
A Fourier inversion is not done.

Likes etf

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a mathematical model used to represent the relationship between input and output signals. It is characterized by the property of superposition, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input.

2. How do you calculate the output signal of a linear system?

The output signal of a linear system can be calculated by convolving the input signal with the system's impulse response. This can be done using various mathematical methods such as the Fourier transform or Laplace transform.

3. What is an impulse response?

An impulse response is the output of a linear system when an impulse (a short, high-intensity signal) is applied as the input. It represents the behavior of the system and is used to calculate the response to any input signal.

4. Can a linear system have multiple inputs and outputs?

Yes, a linear system can have multiple inputs and outputs. In this case, the output signal is calculated by convolving each input signal with the corresponding impulse response and summing the results.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear systems?

Linear systems are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and biology. Some examples of real-world applications include signal processing, control systems, circuit analysis, and image processing.