Amplitude spectrum of signal, power of signal etc

In summary: So, in summary, the amplitude spectrum and power spectrum were calculated and sketched for the input signal. The participation of the DC component in the total mean power of the signal was calculated and the power of the third harmonic on the output was also found. The average power of the periodic signal was calculated using Parseval's theorem and the power of the DC component was determined as well.
etf
Hi!
Here is my task:

1. Homework Statement

Periodic signal is input signal for circuit (photo).
a) Calculate and sketch amplitude spectrum of $$u(t+1ms)$$,
b) Calculate participation (in percent) of DC component of power of total mean power of signal $$u(t)$$,
c) Sketch power spectrum of signal $$u1(t)=u(t)-1V$$
d) Calculate power of third harmonic on output

postavka2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I represented $$u(t)$$ in terms of complex Fourier series as $$u(t)=\frac{E}{2}+\sum_{n=-\infty ,n\neq 0}^{n=\infty }F_ne^{jnw0t},$$ where $$F_n=\frac{E}{2n\pi }j,$$ $$T=4\pi *10^{-3}s,$$ $$w0=\frac{2\pi }{4\pi *10^{-3}},$$ $$E=1V.$$ Then I used time shift property of Fourier series to represent $$u(t+1ms)$$. I got $$u(t+1ms)=\frac{E}{2}+\sum_{n=-\infty,n\neq 0}^{n=\infty}F_ne^{-jnw0*0.001}e^{jnw0t}$$ ($$F_n$$ is same as for $$u(t)$$. Then I sketch it so task a) is completed. For task b) I calculated total mean power of signal as (if it's correct) $$P=\lim_{t->\infty}\frac{1}{T}\int_{\tau}^{\tau+T}(f(t))^{2}dt=\lim_{t->\infty}\frac{1}{T}\int_{\tau}^{\tau+T}(\frac{Et}{T})^{2}dt=...=\frac{E^{2}}{3}=\frac{1}{3}$$. What would be participation in percent of DC component? How to do other tasks?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After substitution of E, T and w0 I get:
[itex]u(t)=\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{n=-\infty,n\neq 0}^{n=\infty}\frac{1}{2n\pi}e^{j\frac{\pi}{2}}e^{jn*500t},[/itex] [itex]u(t+1ms)=\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{n=-\infty,n\neq 0}^{n=\infty}\frac{1}{2n\pi}e^{j(\frac{pi}{2}-\frac{n}{2})}e^{jn*500t}[/itex]

You have calculated the Fourier series and also know the dc component present , calculate the power due to dc component . Contribution of dc power in total power will be their ratio, to express in percentage multiply it with 100.

In order to calculate power of third harmonic on output, consider 3rd harmonic of your Fourier series as input signal and calculate output voltage considering transfer function of circuit ( reactance calculated with w=3w0). Now you have output function you can calculate power.

My third harmonic of input signals is [itex]-\frac{1}{3\pi }\sin{(1500t)}[/itex]. It's representation in complex form is [itex]\frac{1}{3\pi }e^{j*0}[/itex], but I divided it with [itex]sqrt(2)[/itex] to get rms...
I put it in input and solved circuit using complex analysis. I got current [itex]\underline{I}=\frac{1}{R-\frac{j}{wC}}\frac{1}{3\pi \sqrt{2}}=...=5.1941*10^{-5}+3.4628*10^{-5}j,[/itex][itex]\underline{Viz}=-\frac{j}{wC}\underline{I}=...=0.0231-0.0346j.[/itex]. Now I can calculate complex apparent power on output (on capacitor) as [itex]\underline{S}=\underline{Viz}\underline{I^{*}}[/itex] (I* is complex conjugate of I). Real part would be active and imaginary part reactive power?

Last edited:
I have not understood your question correctly. Do you want the power supplied to capacitor or the power of the output signal due to third harmonic.

The way you are trying to solve is calculating power supplied to capacitor . The power calculated will be volt ampere reactive power and thus 90 degree out of phase from real power across resistor.

Solve "VI*" and see that real part will cancel out only imaginary part would remain.

And if you want to calculate the power in the output voltage signal you have to work as I explained before.

lazyaditya said:
I have not understood your question correctly. Do you want the power supplied to capacitor or the power of the output signal due to third harmonic.
Output on scheme, uiz(t), is voltage on capacitor, so by "Calculate power of third harmonic on output" they mean power on capacitor (output) with third harmonic in input?

Yup that what I thought at 1st glance, since they haven't asked the power supplied to capacitor.

Ok, I did it. Here is how I try to find power:
Average power of periodic signal can be calculated using relation [itex]Ptotal=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{n=\infty}|Fn|^{2}[/itex]. Using Parseval's theorem, it is equal to [itex]\frac{1}{T}\int_{\tau}^{\tau +T}(f(t))^{2}dt[/itex]. For my signal, [itex]Ptotal=\frac{1}{T}\int_{\tau}^{\tau +T}(f(t))^{2}dt=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}(\frac{Et}{T})^{2}dt=\frac{E}{T^{3}}\frac{T^{3}}{3}=\frac{E}{3} (E=1)=\frac{1}{3}.[/itex] For DC component I have:[itex]\frac{1}{T}Pdc=\int_{0}^{T}(\frac{1}{2})^{2}dt=\frac{1}{4}.[/itex] Is it ok?

Likes lazyaditya
I made typo, It should be Pdc=(1/T)*integral... But it doesn't affect solution :)

etf said:
Ok, I did it. Here is how I try to find power:
Average power of periodic signal can be calculated using relation [itex]Ptotal=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{n=\infty}|Fn|^{2}[/itex]. Using Parseval's theorem, it is equal to [itex]\frac{1}{T}\int_{\tau}^{\tau +T}(f(t))^{2}dt[/itex]. For my signal, [itex]Ptotal=\frac{1}{T}\int_{\tau}^{\tau +T}(f(t))^{2}dt=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}(\frac{Et}{T})^{2}dt=\frac{E}{T^{3}}\frac{T^{3}}{3}=\frac{E}{3} (E=1)=\frac{1}{3}.[/itex] For DC component I have:[itex]\frac{1}{T}Pdc=\int_{0}^{T}(\frac{1}{2})^{2}dt=\frac{1}{4}.[/itex] Is it ok?
I got the same values.

1. What is the amplitude spectrum of a signal?

The amplitude spectrum of a signal refers to the representation of the signal's amplitude or strength at various frequencies. It is often displayed as a graph or plot, where the frequency is plotted on the x-axis and the amplitude on the y-axis.

2. How is the amplitude spectrum of a signal calculated?

The amplitude spectrum is calculated using Fourier analysis, which breaks down a signal into its individual frequency components. This is achieved by decomposing the signal into a sum of sinusoidal functions, each with a specific amplitude and frequency. The amplitude spectrum is then obtained by plotting the amplitude of each frequency component.

3. What does the power of a signal represent?

The power of a signal is a measure of the signal's strength or magnitude. It is proportional to the square of the signal's amplitude and is often used to compare the strength of different signals. The higher the power of a signal, the stronger the signal is considered to be.

4. How is the power of a signal calculated?

The power of a signal can be calculated by taking the square of the signal's amplitude and averaging it over a specific time period. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using Fourier analysis by summing the squares of each individual frequency component's amplitude.

5. How is the amplitude spectrum related to the power of a signal?

The amplitude spectrum and power of a signal are closely related. The amplitude spectrum represents the distribution of the signal's power across different frequencies. The total power of the signal can be obtained by integrating the amplitude spectrum over all frequencies. Additionally, the amplitude spectrum can also be used to calculate the power at specific frequencies or frequency ranges.