Linearization and energy equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the force acting on a body falling in water and finding the depth at which the body would have a specific speed. The solution involves linearizing the non-linear expression for the force and using the conservation of energy equation. The speaker has a question about finding the correct work to put into the equation and asks for recommendations for a forum that may be better suited for engineering questions.
tamtam402
Hey guys.

We were given a problem, which was to consider bv^2 as the force acting upwards on a body falling in water. We were asked to find the depth at which a body entering the water at 5 * ve (terminal speed) would end up with a speed of 1.1 * ve.

Starting from -bv^2 + mg = ma, the first step is to linearize the non-linear expression bv^2 at the equilibrium point (ma = 0).

The equation at the chosen equilibrium point becomes b(ve)^2 = mg

The linearization gives:

b(ve)^2 + 2b(ve)(Δv).Substitution into the original equation gives -b(ve)^2 - 2b(ve)(Δv) + mg = ma.

We know that at the chosen equilibrium point, b(ve)^2 = mg. Thus, mg - b(ve)^2 = 0. I can remove these 2 expressions in the above equation to get the linearized equation at the equilibrium point ve:

Linearized upward force at terminal speed = 2b(ve)(Δv) = ma

Also our teacher showed us that the 2b(ve) expression must be used to find the value of the linearized ve point. Thus, using the equilibrium equation above but substituting b(ve)^2 by the new constant coefficient 2b(ve) which multiplies ve, we get 2b(ve)*ve = mg -> ve = sqrt(mg/2b)

Given the above equation in bold, I was able to solve for height h by using the following substitution:

a = v * dv / dh

Using this substitution I could integrate on both sides of the above equation and solve for h pretty easily. I confirmed with my teacher that our answer was correct.

Here's my question:

I would like to solve this problem by using the conservation of energy equation instead of solving the F = ma equation. Before my teacher confirmed that we had the right answer, I wanted to solve the problem using this other method because I could've verified my answer by myself. However, I don't know how to solve this. I put the initial energy + the work on the left hand side, and the final energy on the right hand side.

Assuming the object falls into the water at a height h at an initial speed of 5ve,

V1 = mgh
T1 = m/2 * (5ve)^2
Work = 2b(ve)(Δv) * h

V2 = 0
T2 = m/2 * (1.1ve)^2

V1 + T1 - Work = V2 + T2

I don't know what to do with the expression in bold, for the work of the linearized force. Obviously an integral is needed, but if I integrate as I specified above, I have to divide both sides by Δv since dv is on the right side of the equation. I end up with 2b(ve)h = stuff. The left side of this equation is NOT equal to the Force times acceleration because the force has a Δv on the left side.

So, how can I find the "correct" work to put into the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand linearisation is mostly used in engineering, since real-life systems must use these approximations. I'm going to assume this is why physicists aren't really comfortable answering my question. Does anyone know a forum that could be better suited for this engineering question?

Thanks again.

What is linearization in the energy equation?

Linearization is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex nonlinear equations by approximating them with simpler linear equations. In the context of the energy equation, linearization is used to make calculations and analyses more manageable and accurate.

Why is linearization important in the study of energy?

Linearization is important because it allows scientists and engineers to study the behavior of complex energy systems in a simpler and more efficient manner. This can lead to a better understanding of how energy is transferred and transformed, and ultimately, more effective solutions for energy-related problems.

What are the limitations of linearization in the energy equation?

Linearization is only an approximation and therefore has its limitations. It assumes that the relationship between variables is linear, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, linearization can introduce errors in the calculations, especially when dealing with highly nonlinear systems.

How is the energy equation linearized?

The energy equation can be linearized by using a Taylor series expansion, which is a method for approximating a nonlinear function with a polynomial. This involves calculating the derivatives of the function at a specific point and using them to construct a linear equation that closely represents the behavior of the original equation at that point.

What are the applications of linearization in the energy industry?

Linearization has various applications in the energy industry, including modeling and optimizing power systems, analyzing energy transfer in buildings and vehicles, and predicting the behavior of energy storage systems. It is also commonly used in the development of new energy technologies and improving the efficiency of existing systems.