Torque before slipping in a refrigerator

mancity
Homework Statement
A delivery truck is carrying a 120-kg refrigerator. The refrigerator is 2.20 m tall and 85.0 cm wide. The refrigerator is facing sideways and is prevented from sliding. What is the maximum acceleration that the truck can have before the refrigerator begins to tip over? Assume that the center of gravity of the refrigerator is located at its geometrical center.
Relevant Equations
Torque=Fr
The solution lists out mg(b/2)=ma(h/2) and then proceeds to solve for a.
I am a bit stuck on how the initial equation is listed - why is the (b/2) swapped with the (h/2)? (namely, why isn't the equation mg(h/2)=ma(b/2)? My logic for this is y-direction and x-direction )
I feel that I am missing a fundamental concept here
Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 11.57.59 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the moment arm of the gravitational force relative to the tipping point is b/2 and not h/2.

It is a question about the met torque relative to the tipping point. Torque is the force multiplied by the distance between its line of action and the reference point.

Likes mancity
mancity said:
. . . why isn't the equation mg(h/2)=ma(b/2)? I feel that I am missing a fundamental concept here
You are missing a very fundamental concept. The lever arm h/2 is vertical and the force of gravity mg is also vertical. Since they are parallel, the torque is zero. The same applies to b/2 and ma except that they are parallel in the horizontal direction. The fundamental concept is that the cross product between two parallel vectors is always zero.

Likes mancity
mancity said:
I feel that I am missing a fundamental concept here
Balance of moments 1.png

Balance of moments 2.png

Likes mancity

1. What is torque before slipping in a refrigerator?

Torque before slipping in a refrigerator refers to the amount of rotational force required to overcome static friction and initiate motion in the compressor motor of the refrigerator.

2. How is torque before slipping determined in a refrigerator?

Torque before slipping in a refrigerator can be determined experimentally by gradually increasing the rotational force applied to the compressor motor until motion is initiated. The torque value at this point is the torque before slipping.

3. Why is torque before slipping important in refrigerators?

Torque before slipping is important in refrigerators as it indicates the minimum amount of force required to start the compressor motor, which is essential for maintaining the cooling function of the refrigerator.

4. What factors can affect torque before slipping in a refrigerator?

Factors that can affect torque before slipping in a refrigerator include the condition of the compressor motor, the level of lubrication in the moving parts, and the temperature of the surrounding environment.

5. How can torque before slipping be optimized in a refrigerator?

Torque before slipping in a refrigerator can be optimized by ensuring proper maintenance of the compressor motor, using high-quality lubricants, and keeping the refrigerator in a stable and moderate temperature environment.