Linearization of Lagrange equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the linearization of Lagrange equations and the expansion of the A matrix and function f in the context of studying Lagrange mechanics. The speaker also asks about the symmetry and diagonalizability of A, and the expansion of A inverse with q0 as the center. It is mentioned that A is the kinetic energy matrix and L is the natural Lagrangian. The conversation ends with a possible solution for A inverse if it is diagonalizable.
stefano77
TL;DR Summary
linearization lagrange equation
l am italian student from Milan university, so sorry for my bad english.
l am studying lagrange meccanics. We are linearizating lagrange equations. Here l don't understand how you can expand A matrix, how the function f is derivable, how the inverse matrix A is expanded? l am expanding with q0 center, x is the small displacement . G is a quadratic form.
O(|x|) is order of magnitude

1604917727355.png

Attachments

• 1604917007307.png
    1604917007307.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 132
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean, $$G(q,\dot q)=\sum_{ij}A_{ij}~q_i\dot q_j,$$ is linear in ##\dot{q}_i##? Or,
$$G=\sum A_{ij}(q)\dot{q}_i\dot{q}_j$$

Likes PhDeezNutz
Can we assume anything about ##A##? Is it symmetric?

L = T - V ## T = \sum a_{ij}(q) q'_i q'_j## $$ A= [a_{ij}] $$

## G_h(q,q')= \sum_{jl} \frac {\partial\a_{hj}} {\partial q_l} q'_l q'_j + \sum_{ij} \frac {\partial\a_{ij}} {2 \partial q_h} q'_l q'_j##
but l am interestin how to expand ## [A(q)]^{-1}## with ##q_0## as center

Likes PhDeezNutz
A is symmetri...
it is kinetic energy matrix
L is a natural lagrangian

Likes PhDeezNutz
stefano77 said:
A is symmetri...
it is kinetic energy matrix
L is a natural lagrangian

I think it's also diagonalizable. In which case

##A^{-1}_{ii} = \frac{1}{A_{ii}}##

What is linearization of Lagrange equations?

The linearization of Lagrange equations is a method used to approximate the behavior of a nonlinear system by replacing it with a linear system. This is done by taking the first-order Taylor series expansion of the nonlinear equations around an equilibrium point.

Why is linearization of Lagrange equations important in science?

Linearization of Lagrange equations is important in science because it allows us to simplify complex nonlinear systems and make them easier to analyze. This can help us understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future behavior.

What are the assumptions made in linearization of Lagrange equations?

The main assumptions made in linearization of Lagrange equations are that the system is small enough that the nonlinear terms can be ignored, and that the equilibrium point is stable. Additionally, the system must be continuous and differentiable.

How is linearization of Lagrange equations different from linearization of other equations?

Linearization of Lagrange equations is different from linearization of other equations because it takes into account the constraints and forces in a system, rather than just the variables and their relationships. This makes it a more accurate method for approximating the behavior of nonlinear systems.

What are some applications of linearization of Lagrange equations?

Linearization of Lagrange equations has many applications in science and engineering, such as in control systems, robotics, and mechanical engineering. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model and analyze complex systems.