Link between pressure and convection heat transfer ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure and convection heat transfer, specifically at what point the convection becomes less significant. The speaker is studying the global heat transfer through a 5mm wall in a cold chamber at 5°C and atmospheric pressure. Despite their efforts, they have not found satisfying results on forums. The other speaker explains that pressure itself does not affect heat transfer, but rather parameters such as density and Reynolds number. They suggest using the Rayleigh number to determine when convection becomes dominant over conduction. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of using a vacuum panel or vacuum inside the box to improve insulation, but it is determined that these ideas may not be effective. Finally, it is noted that radiation is not
adgirard
Hello everyone,

For the purpose of my study I would like to know the relation between Pressure and Convection Heat Transfer. Especially the rough pressure when the convection becomes less significant. I did not find satisfying results on the forum.

I have to study the global heat transfer through the wall (5 mm) of a cold chamber at 5 degree C, low pressure, and the environment at 22 degree C, atmospheric pressure.

Thank you very much for any help or suggestion.

Likes NguyenDV
Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem is that it isn't a pressure-dependent phenomenon. The best way to get the convective heat transfer is by using the Nusselt number and its many empirical correlations, and they all scale with Reynolds number and a handful of other parameters depending on the situation (e.g. Prandtl number, Rayleigh number). Pressure doesn't enter into the equations.

May be not pressure but specific mass does, no ?
The less you have pressure the less you have molecules so less you have specific mass ?
It is about buoyancy force after all, I cannot imagine that it is not Pressure dependent.

Likes NguyenDV
First of all, it is easier to think in terms of density instead of specific mass. Second, yes, it depends on density because it depends on Reynolds number. The point is that pressure itself has no bearing on the heat transfer. If density is an important parameter, you could change that either with pressure or with temperature. There is no magic Reynolds number where suddenly becomes less significant. There are various situations where a critical Reynolds number might signal when convection becomes insignificant, but that is going to depend on the situation and what your definition of insignificant is.

Thank you very much.

Ok, let me give you more input, and you may be able to give me more suggestion on how to solve it by myself, avoiding wrong simplification.

What I cannot change:
The inside of the box has to be kept at 5 degree C and the outside temperature is at 22 degree C. Then I have a box with dimension equal to 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 [m] in aluminium and the thickness of the panels is equal to 10 mm. There is no forced convection, neither inside or outside the box.

I though about two solutions to make a better insulation. The two solutions are apparently not good according to what I read in some posts, but it does not matter I would like to know how to break these idea.

1) Vacuum panel : low pressure available cannot be less than 500 Pa. So a simple sandwich layers : alu 1 mm, vacuum 8 mm, alu 1 mm.

2) Vacuum inside the box : low pressure available cannot be less than 500 Pa.

As far as I investigated a 500 Pa pressure will not affect at all conduction, and the convection will then depends on the characteristic length, for instance the solution "vacuum box" is then probably worth than the first one. Right ?
And basically, if I remove convection effect (e.g. with honey comb) I can keep atm pressure and thus simplify the solution.

I saw as well that radiation could be the main heat transfer sometimes, does it could be the case here ? Is there a way to neglect it without checking it properly ?

Thank you very much.

There is no way that radiation is important here. Generally, radiation doesn't become important until you reach several thousand Kelvins.

Since you are talking about natural convection, the important parameter is the Rayleigh number. In the case of thermal convection, the Rayleigh number is defined as:
[tex]Ra = \dfrac{\rho_0 g \beta \Delta T L^3}{\alpha \mu}[/tex]
where
[itex]\rho_0[/itex] is a reference density, usually the average density of the fluid
[itex]g[/itex] is the acceleration of gravity
[itex]\beta[/itex] is coefficient of thermal expansion of the fluid
[itex]\Delta T[/itex] is the temperature difference between the surface and the reservoir
[itex]L[/itex] is the characteristic length scale, like the side length in your case, or the spacing between walls if you are using a vacuum plenum
[itex]\alpha[/itex] is the thermal diffusivity
[itex]\mu[/itex] is the dynamic viscosity

Once the Rayleigh number reaches a critical value, convection becomes the dominant heat transfer mechanism over conduction for a given system. What that critical number is exactly depends on the specifics of your system. Go check out a good heat transfer textbook to get an idea of how to determine that critical Rayleigh number.

Likes NguyenDV

Related to Link between pressure and convection heat transfer ?

1. What is convection heat transfer and how does it relate to pressure?

Convection heat transfer is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water. The relationship between pressure and convection heat transfer is that as pressure increases, the density of the fluid also increases, leading to a higher rate of heat transfer.

2. Does pressure affect the speed of convection heat transfer?

Yes, pressure does affect the speed of convection heat transfer. As pressure increases, the speed of the fluid also increases, leading to a faster rate of heat transfer.

3. How does pressure impact the direction of convection heat transfer?

The direction of convection heat transfer is influenced by the pressure gradient. A higher pressure gradient will result in a stronger flow of fluid, leading to heat transfer in a specific direction.

4. What happens to convection heat transfer at extremely high or low pressures?

At extremely high pressures, convection heat transfer becomes more efficient and can even lead to a transition to turbulent flow. At extremely low pressures, such as in a vacuum, convection heat transfer is greatly reduced as there is no fluid to transfer the heat.

5. How can pressure be controlled to optimize convection heat transfer?

There are several ways to control pressure for optimal convection heat transfer. For example, in a cooling system, the size and shape of the cooling fins can be adjusted to create the desired pressure gradient for efficient heat transfer. In industrial settings, pressure can be controlled through the use of pumps or compressors to increase or decrease the flow of fluid for more effective heat transfer.