Linkage Analysis and force study

In summary, the linkage mechanism consists of 3 pivot points, with two connected to the ground. The "Inside Leg 1" is telescopic to "Leg 2" and has a 120 LB compression gas spring connected at mount points. Leg 3 is placed to have the correct opening angle of 40 degrees. At the open position, the gas spring is fully extended and the system stands stable. A force analysis is needed to determine the amount of force required to pull Leg 2 down to the closed position. The total length of the leg is 83 inches, with a smaller telescopic tube inside that pivots at point 1. The fixed end of the gas spring is connected to the smaller tube, while the moving end
jai_helsing
Hi All,

I am working on this linkage mechanism. Please see the attachment for images. There are 3 pivot points. Two of which are connected to the ground. The" Inside Leg 1" is telescopic to "Leg 2" and has a 120 LB compression gas spring connected at mount points as shown in the image. The leg 3 is geometrically placed to have the correct opening angle(of Leg 2 which is 40 Degrees). At the open position as shown in the image the gas spring is fully extended and the system stands stable. I was looking to do a force analysis of this linkage system and study the amount of force needed to pull the leg 2 down( i.e closed position for the mechanism). Please see the attached the document for details.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Force Calc Linkage.docx
    101.1 KB · Views: 322
Engineering news on Phys.org
jai_helsing said:
the gas spring is fully extended and the system stands stable. I was looking to do a force analysis of this linkage system and study the amount of force needed to pull the leg 2 down
Well, that depends on how much it takes to break things ! The 51 inch one is the side that wants to extend further if leg 2 is to go down ...

Hi BvU. Thank you for the reply. The total length of that link(leg) is 83in (51+32). There is a smaller telescopic tube (23 inches long,sorry for not providing that length before) inside the 83 inch long leg which pivots at point 1. The fixed end of the gas spring is connected to the smaller telescopic tube at the opposite end to the pivot point1. The moving end of the gas spring is connected to the longer leg(83in), which slides in a slot build in the telescopic tube(23in). I am trying to determine the vertical force needed to applied at the end of the longer tube to start moving the link down. Hope this makes my question more clear. Please let me know if any information is missing. Please see the attached photo.

Attachments

• Force Calc Linkage Images.docx
    502.6 KB · Views: 247
Still can 't make sense of the thing. Can you make a diagram like the one at the bottom of Force Calc Linkage.docx with only the essentials -- i.e all things freely sliding inside others removed and clearly shown what the spring mount points are attached to. Avoid using different names for the same thing (front mount point = fixed end -- Rear mount point = sliding end ? or is it the other way around ? Why not use A and B instead of causing confusion).

I gathered Pivot 3 is not sliding. But I have a hard time understanding what the spring is doing against what.
Something like
1593019255604.png
?

Only external forces are at A, B and D, so they must add up to zero. And A and B horizontal components cancel.
Can't think of a useful force and torque balance yet.

Attachments

• 1593018385166.png
    1593018385166.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 205
If the image by @BvU matches you problem, here is my take on it.
  1. Seems to come down to how the length of AC changes as the angle A changes
  2. multiply AC change in length by the spring constant
  3. then account for mechanical advantage you have at AD versus AC

Cheers,
Tom

Hello @BvU and @Tom.G . Thank you for your inputs and support to help me solve my problem. Please see attached the document with detailed information on the system and its working. Can you please take a look and let me know. Thank you again.

Attachments

• Line Diagram.docx
    329.3 KB · Views: 225
Here is a more readable image from the above post by @jai_helsing :

Line Diagram_html_3268355f.png

Hi @Tom.G and @BvU . Based on the Above details can you please formulate the equations and diagrams to help me solve the problem. Thank you.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
jai_helsing said:
study the amount of force needed to pull the leg 2 down
Are you familiar with free body diagrams (FBD)? If not, spend some time studying them. The force at D needed to pull the linkage down will be different between the open and closed positions, so you need to solve those two cases separately. There will be two separate FBD's.

jai_helsing said:
Based on the Above details can you please formulate the equations and diagrams to help me solve the problem. Thank you.

We will help you, but you need to do some work yourself. As a master's student, this should be well within your capabilities. I'll give you some suggestions to get started.

Start by showing the force at pivot A. Keep in mind that forces are represented as vectors, that vectors can be decomposed into components, and those components can be in any direction. With that in mind, the total force at A has a component parallel to the link ACD. That component is the force to compress the gas spring. Show that component on the FBD.

Show the unknown force at point D as F. You do not yet know the magnitude of F, but you do need to specify the direction on both FBD's. Is it vertical, horizontal, perpendicular to link ACD, or some other direction? Since you know the direction of force F, you can calculate the components parallel and perpendicular to link ACD, or you can calculate the vertical and horizontal components. You may need to do either or both.

Now start calculating other forces or force components. If you do not know what to calculate next, try calculating the sum of moments about points A, B, C, and D. At least one of them will allow you to move forward.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is linkage analysis?

Linkage analysis is a statistical method used to study the inheritance of genetic traits in families. It involves analyzing the patterns of inheritance of genetic markers, such as DNA sequences, to determine the likelihood of genetic linkage between a particular trait and a specific location on a chromosome.

2. How is linkage analysis used in genetics research?

Linkage analysis is commonly used in genetics research to identify genetic loci associated with specific traits or diseases. By studying families with a history of a particular condition, researchers can use linkage analysis to pinpoint the location of genes that may be responsible for the trait.

3. What is the difference between parametric and non-parametric linkage analysis?

Parametric linkage analysis assumes a specific mode of inheritance, such as autosomal dominant or recessive, and uses this information to calculate the likelihood of genetic linkage between a trait and a genetic marker. Non-parametric linkage analysis, on the other hand, does not make any assumptions about the mode of inheritance and instead uses statistical methods to determine the likelihood of linkage.

4. How is force study related to linkage analysis?

Force study, also known as force spectroscopy, is a technique used to study the physical properties of biological molecules, such as DNA. It can be used in conjunction with linkage analysis to understand the mechanical forces involved in DNA replication and gene expression, which can provide valuable insights into the underlying genetic mechanisms.

5. What are the limitations of linkage analysis?

One limitation of linkage analysis is that it requires large families with multiple affected individuals to be able to accurately identify genetic loci. It is also limited by the assumption of genetic linkage between a trait and a specific genetic marker, which may not always hold true. Additionally, linkage analysis cannot identify the specific gene responsible for a trait, only the general location on a chromosome.