Lipschitz function in Real Analysis

In summary, In summary,The homework statement is that there are homework equations. The first equation is that the function is uniformly continuous. The second equation states that there is a function that is equal to the original function but has a negative sign. The third equation states that there exists a number that when multiplied with the original function equals zero. The fourth equation is that if two points are given, then the distance between them is found. The fifth equation is that if a sequence is given, then the limit of the sequence at a certain point is found. Finally, the sixth equation is that if a function is continuous and there exists a number s such that the function at that point equals zero, then the function is bounded at that point.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let f be a real function defined on the interval [a,b]/0<a<b:[tex]\forall x,y\in[a,b],x\neq y/|f(x)-f(y)|<k|x^{3}-y^{3}|[/tex] where k is a positive real constant.

Homework Equations

1- Prove that f is uniformly continuous on [a,b]

2- We define a function g on [a,b] such that [tex]g(x)=f(x)-kx^{3}[/tex].
Prove that g is strictly monotone on [a,b] .

3- We suppose that for every x in [a,b] [tex]ka^{3}\leq f(x)\leq kb^{3}[/tex] . Deduct that there exists a unique number s such that g(s)=0.

4- Let (Xn) be a sequence defined by X0=α given in ]a,b[ . and [tex]X_{n}=(\frac{1}{k}f(X_{n-1}))^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex].

- Prove that the function [tex]U_{n}=|x_{n}^{3}-s^{3}|,x>0[/tex] converges to a real number d≥0.

5- Deduct that there exists a sub-sequence (Xn) that converges to the real number [tex]c=\sqrt[3]{s^{3}+\epsilon d}[/tex] where (ε=1 or ε=-1)

6- Prove that f(c) takes either of the values [tex]k(x^{3}+d)[/tex] or [tex]k(x^{3}-d)[/tex]

7- Deduct that d=0. What conclusion can we make about the sequence (Xn)?

The Attempt at a Solution

1- I let ε>0 and made η=(ε/k) so by definition of uniform continuity:

[tex]|x^{3}-y^{3}|<\eta\Longrightarrow|f(x)-f(y)|<k|x^{3}-y^{3}|<k\eta=\epsilon[/tex] So therefore f is uniformly continuous.

2- I derived g and I got that g'(x)=f'(x)-3kx^2. And since k>0 therefore for all x in [a,b] -3kx^2<0 but I don't know what to say about f'(x).

3- We have g(x)=f(x)-kx^3 and the fact that ka^3≤f(x)≤kb^3 so :[tex]\begin{cases}
g(a)=f(a)-ka^{3}\geq0 & ,g(b)=f(b)-kb^{3}\leq0\end{cases}[/tex] .

which implies that g(a)*g(b)≤0 So by the intermediate value theorem there exists an s in [a,b] such that: g(s)=0.

4- I know that I have to use the lipschitz function, but I don't know how to start.

5-6-7 Nothing so far.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Starting with #1, the definition of uniform continuity is that if ##\epsilon## is chosen there is a ##\delta## independent of x such that |##x_1 - x_2| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x_1) - f(x_2)| < \epsilon##.

The definition doesn't say anything about |##x_1^3 - x_2^3| < \delta## . You have to show there is a ##\delta## that works for the first powers. So you have to show the difference of the cubes being < ##\delta## implies that the linear difference gives you the right result.

And for number 4 do I have the right thought?

Re # 4 you really need to work through 2 and 3 first, because they are giving you material for solving #4. Have you found a way to do #1 yet?

brmath said:
Re # 4 you really need to work through 2 and 3 first, because they are giving you material for solving #4. Have you found a way to do #1 yet?

#3 is correct I believe and #2 I derived the function but I couldn't conclude anything. While for number one I couldn't really come up with anything besides of thinking of the fact that :

[itex]|x^{3}-y^{3}|=|(x-y)(x^{2}+y^{2})|[/itex]

mtayab1994 said:
#3 is correct I believe and #2 I derived the function but I couldn't conclude anything. While for number one I couldn't really come up with anything besides of thinking of the fact that :

[itex]|x^{3}-y^{3}|=|(x-y)(x^{2}+y^{2})|[/itex]

The correct expansion is [itex]x^3 - y^3 = (x-y)(x^2 + xy + y^2)[/itex]

If [itex]x \in [a,b][/itex] and [itex]y \in [a,b][/itex], what is an obvious upper bound for [itex]x^2 + xy + y^2[/itex]?

pasmith said:
The correct expansion is [itex]x^3 - y^3 = (x-y)(x^2 + xy + y^2)[/itex]

If [itex]x \in [a,b][/itex] and [itex]y \in [a,b][/itex], what is an obvious upper bound for [itex]x^2 + xy + y^2[/itex]?

Yes I did that part i got k|x^2+xy+y^2||x-y|<k4a^2|x-y| then i chose η=ε/(4ka^2) and the proof is done. Can i get a hint on how to start number 4?

No it should be 4b^2.

dirk_mec1 said:
No it should be 4b^2.

I don't think so because (x^2+xy+y^2)k=3ka^2<4ka^2 that is when plugging in a for x and y.

Hi,

Sorry I could not get back to you before -- I have been out sick. I can see you and pasmith are discussing how to get #1 correct, and really you should settle that down before proceeding.

To do #2, you do not want to take derivatives. While that is one way to show something is monotonic, it is not the only way. In this case we do not even know at this point that f has a derivative. The definition of f would allow us to conclude that f is differentiable almost everywhere, but a) you have not proved that and b) that doesn't help you here anyway.

To do #2, you should try a more primitive approach: if ##x_1## < ##x_2## is it true that ##g(x_1) \le g(x_2)##? I say it is, and that you can show this by using the definition of g. Similarly, if ##x_1## > ##x_2##.

Re part #3 you state correctly that g(a) > 0 and g(b) < 0. I don't understand why you referenced the product g(a)*g(b). You need to state that g is continuous, which is not something you have proved yet. If g is continuous then it must pass through zero on the way from f(a) to f(b) and the intermediate value theorem is indeed the reason.

To get started on part 4 note that s satisfies the equation g(s) = 0 or f(s) - k##s^3## = 0. The definition of ##u_n## tells us that ##x_n^3 = x_{n_1}/k##. You need to put together this information to get your result. Of course we know that g(s) = 0 is dependent on the assumptions in part 3.

mtayab1994 said:
I don't think so because (x^2+xy+y^2)k=3ka^2<4ka^2 that is when plugging in a for x and y.

But if [itex]b > \frac{2a}{\sqrt{3}} > a[/itex] then [itex]4ka^2 < 3kb^2[/itex], which is what you get by setting [itex]x = y = b[/itex].

brmath said:
The definition of ##u_n## tells us that ##x_n^3 = x_{n_1}/k##.

I don't know how you got that; by definition
[tex]x_n^3 = \frac{f(x_{n-1})}{k}[/tex]

pasmith said:
I don't know how you got that; by definition
[tex]x_n^3 = \frac{f(x_{n-1})}{k}[/tex]

I got that by mistyping -- a common problem with me -- sorry.

brmath said:
Hi,

Sorry I could not get back to you before -- I have been out sick. I can see you and pasmith are discussing how to get #1 correct, and really you should settle that down before proceeding.

To do #2, you do not want to take derivatives. While that is one way to show something is monotonic, it is not the only way. In this case we do not even know at this point that f has a derivative. The definition of f would allow us to conclude that f is differentiable almost everywhere, but a) you have not proved that and b) that doesn't help you here anyway.

To do #2, you should try a more primitive approach: if ##x_1## < ##x_2## is it true that ##g(x_1) \le g(x_2)##? I say it is, and that you can show this by using the definition of g. Similarly, if ##x_1## > ##x_2##.

Re part #3 you state correctly that g(a) > 0 and g(b) < 0. I don't understand why you referenced the product g(a)*g(b). You need to state that g is continuous, which is not something you have proved yet. If g is continuous then it must pass through zero on the way from f(a) to f(b) and the intermediate value theorem is indeed the reason.

To get started on part 4 note that s satisfies the equation g(s) = 0 or f(s) - k##s^3## = 0. The definition of ##u_n## tells us that ##x_n^3 = x_{n_1}/k##. You need to put together this information to get your result. Of course we know that g(s) = 0 is dependent on the assumptions in part 3.

For number 4 i was able to transform Un to the following:

[itex]U_{n}=|X_{n}^{3}-s^{3}|=\frac{1}{k}|f(X_{n-1})-f(s)|[/itex] . Now do I have to use the Lipschitz function that I had proved is continuous?

Your conversion is correct : ##U_n = (1/k)|f(x_{n-1}) -f(s)|## The question was to show that ##U_n## converges to a real number d ##\ge## 0. Given the abs value signs, if it converges, it certainly will be to a non-negative number.

f(s) is a fixed number, so if ##U_n## is going to converge, it better be true that ##x_n## converges . Using whatever Lipsichitz conditions you have doesn't seem to me to bear directly on this problem. You know at least two things here that you have not considered using, and I believe you will need them to conclude that ##U_n## converges.

One is that g(x) is monotonic. The other is that ##x_0## = a.

I think you are hoping there is some fast way to do this one, but I don't see any cheap shots here. You are going to have to put together all the pieces from parts 1, 2, and 3. What this problem is doing is breaking a long and non-obvious proof down into smaller steps, so you can understand how to start with the hypotheses and arrive at the final conclusion.

brmath said:
Your conversion is correct : ##U_n = (1/k)|f(x_{n-1}) -f(s)|## The question was to show that ##U_n## converges to a real number d ##\ge## 0. Given the abs value signs, if it converges, it certainly will be to a non-negative number.

f(s) is a fixed number, so if ##U_n## is going to converge, it better be true that ##x_n## converges . Using whatever Lipsichitz conditions you have doesn't seem to me to bear directly on this problem. You know at least two things here that you have not considered using, and I believe you will need them to conclude that ##U_n## converges.

I think you are hoping there is some fast way to do this one, but I don't see any cheap shots here. You are going to have to put together all the pieces from parts 1, 2, and 3. What this problem is doing is breaking a long and non-obvious proof down into smaller steps, so you can understand how to start with the hypotheses and arrive at the final conclusion.

This is what I've come up with: if [itex]g(x)[/itex] is strictly monotone increasing and ##x_0##=a. Then Xn will converge because it's bounded above by b.

brmath said:

From the OP:

Let (Xn) be a sequence defined by X0=α given in ]a,b[

Thus [itex]a[/itex] is one value which [itex]x_0[/itex] cannot take.

mtayab1994 said:
This is what I've come up with: if [itex]g(x)[/itex] is strictly monotone increasing and ##x_0##=a. Then Xn will converge because it's bounded above by b.

Boundedness is not sufficient for convergence; you also need monotonicity of [itex](x_n)[/itex], and the direction of the monotonicity depends on whether [itex]x_0 < s[/itex] or [itex]x_0 > s[/itex].

Also, the assumption made in part 3 - that [itex]ka^3 \leq f(x) \leq kb^3[/itex] - requires that [itex]g[/itex] is monotonic decreasing, since [itex]g(a) = f(a) - ka^3 \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]g(b) = f(b) - kb^3 \leq 0[/itex] (as you would have seen from using the IVT to deduce the existence of [itex]s[/itex]).

pasmith said:
From the OP:

Boundedness is not sufficient for convergence; you also need monotonicity of [itex](x_n)[/itex], and the direction of the monotonicity depends on whether [itex]x_0 < s[/itex] or [itex]x_0 > s[/itex].

Also, the assumption made in part 3 - that [itex]ka^3 \leq f(x) \leq kb^3[/itex] - requires that [itex]g[/itex] is monotonic decreasing, since [itex]g(a) = f(a) - ka^3 \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]g(b) = f(b) - kb^3 \leq 0[/itex] (as you would have seen from using the IVT to deduce the existence of [itex]s[/itex]).

So g is monotonic decreasing and ##x_0>s## so that means that it's decreasing and bounded below by s which means it's convergent?

mtayab1994 said:
So g is monotonic decreasing and ##x_0>s## so that means that it's decreasing and bounded below by s which means it's convergent?

Why does [itex]g[/itex] being monotonic decreasing imply that if [itex]x_0 > s[/itex] then [itex](x_n)[/itex] is decreasing and bounded below by [itex]s[/itex]? That's the bit you need to explain.

Also you need to explain why [itex]g[/itex] being monotonic decreasing implies that if [itex]x_0 < s[/itex] then [itex](x_n)[/itex] is increasing and bounded above by [itex]s[/itex].

pasmith said:
Why does [itex]g[/itex] being monotonic decreasing imply that if [itex]x_0 > s[/itex] then [itex](x_n)[/itex] is decreasing and bounded below by [itex]s[/itex]? That's the bit you need to explain.

Also you need to explain why [itex]g[/itex] being monotonic decreasing implies that if [itex]x_0 < s[/itex] then [itex](x_n)[/itex] is increasing and bounded above by [itex]s[/itex].

Well X0 is the first value Xn takes and if g is monotonic increasing then that means:

##g(x_{n})=f(x_{n})-kx_{n}^{3}## is monotonic decreasing and since g is continuous that means:##g(x_{n})=0## at a unique point which is s. So that means that ##(x_{n})## is bounded below by s hence it's convergent?

Actually, on closer inspection, it appears that [itex](x_n)[/itex] need not be monotonic. (If [itex](x_n)[/itex] were necessarily monotonic then parts 5 to 6 would be unnecessary, because as soon as it is monotonic it must converge, and the only point to which it can converge is [itex]s[/itex]).

However, you can show directly that [itex]g[/itex] is strictly decreasing implies that [itex]U_n[/itex] is monotonic decreasing.

pasmith said:
From the OP:

Hi Pasmith,

##x_0## was defined to be a. So how is a the one value it cannot take?

pasmith said:
Actually, on closer inspection, it appears that [itex](x_n)[/itex] need not be monotonic. (If [itex](x_n)[/itex] were necessarily monotonic then parts 5 to 6 would be unnecessary, because as soon as it is monotonic it must converge, and the only point to which it can converge is [itex]s[/itex]).

However, you can show directly that [itex]g[/itex] is strictly decreasing implies that [itex]U_n[/itex] is monotonic decreasing.

From part three we can see that ##g## is strictly decreasing so that means ##(U_{n})## is monotonic decreasing and bounded below by a>0 so therefore it converges to a number greater than 0.

mtayab1994 said:
From part three we can see that ##g## is strictly decreasing so that means ##(U_{n})## is monotonic decreasing and bounded below by a>0 so therefore it converges to a number greater than 0.

Do we know that ##U_n## > a for any n? I think you have to show it is, because otherwise your argument does not hold. And it was defined that ##x_0## = a.

I think it would be best to try to write out your entire argument for part 4, stating each step and the justification for it.

brmath said:
Do we know that ##U_n## > a for any n? I think you have to show it is, because otherwise your argument does not hold. And it was defined that ##x_0## = a.

I think it would be best to try to write out your entire argument for part 4, stating each step and the justification for it.

X0 isn't a it's alpha α

mtayab1994 said:
X0 isn't a it's alpha α

That explains something. Imagine my misreading it.

Okay, why is ##U_n## bounded below by a? By zero yes.

mtayab1994 said:

No. In the case that [itex]x_0 = \alpha = s[/itex] you have [itex]U_n = 0[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex].

It is enough that [itex]U_n[/itex] is bounded below by zero, and you need to show your working in support of the conclusion that [itex]U_n[/itex] is monotonic decreasing.

To show that ##(U_n)## is monotonic decreasing I thought of the following: ##U_{n+1}-U_{n}=\frac{1}{k}(|f(x_{n})-f(s)|-|f(x_{n-1})-f(s)|)##, but I don't think I can remove the absolute value signs because we don't know if the difference is positive or not.

You want to use what you learned about g being monotonic in working through why U is.

What is a Lipschitz function?

A Lipschitz function is a real-valued function that satisfies a Lipschitz condition, meaning that the function’s slope is bounded by a constant factor. In other words, for any two points on the graph of the function, the absolute value of the difference in their outputs is no greater than a constant times the absolute value of the difference in their inputs.

What is the significance of Lipschitz functions in real analysis?

Lipschitz functions are important in real analysis because they are a special class of functions that are guaranteed to have certain properties, such as being continuous and differentiable almost everywhere. They also play a crucial role in the study of differential equations and optimization problems.

How do you determine if a function is Lipschitz?

To determine if a function is Lipschitz, you need to find a constant K such that the absolute value of the difference in the function's outputs at any two points is no greater than K times the absolute value of the difference in the function's inputs at those points. If you can find such a constant, then the function is Lipschitz. If not, then the function is not Lipschitz.

What is the Lipschitz constant?

The Lipschitz constant, denoted by K, is the smallest possible value for the constant in the Lipschitz condition. In other words, it is the smallest value that satisfies the Lipschitz condition for a given function. The Lipschitz constant is useful in determining if a function is Lipschitz, as well as in analyzing the behavior and properties of Lipschitz functions.

Can a function be Lipschitz on a closed interval but not on the entire domain?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be Lipschitz on a closed interval but not on its entire domain. This is because the Lipschitz condition only needs to hold for points that are within a certain distance of each other, rather than for all points in the domain. So, a function can satisfy the Lipschitz condition on a closed interval, but not on points that are farther apart on its domain.