Liquid-gas phase transition: metastable mixed states?

In summary, the conversation discusses the liquid-gas phase transition for the Van Der Waals model. The model allows for the plotting of the P(V) curve and calculation of the free energy F. However, it is found that the free energy does not have the correct convexity property between points a and b, indicating instability. The maxwell construction is used to correct this issue. It is noted that the system is in an unstable state between a and b, and it is usually studied in the (N,P,T) ensembles for gas-liquid transition. The question arises as to whether the volume will ever reach a value between V_1 and V_2, or if it can only be V_1 or V_2.
freemp
Hello everybody.

I am trying to understand better what happens at a liquid-gas phase transition for the Van Der Waals model.

From what I have understood, from the Van Der Waals model we are able to plot the curve P(V) and to calculate the free energy F. Here are such curves :

Capture.PNG

Then, we remark that the free energy doesn't have the good convexity property between a and b. For a system to be stable the Free energy must be concav.

In fact this "mistake" on the free energy is from what I have understood an inaccuracy of the van der waals model (this one assume that the density is uniform and it is no longer the case when we have a phase transition).

The maxwell construction thus "correct" the model.

My question are :

Between a and b, I am in an unstable states, what does that mean ? Usually we work in the (N,P,T) ensembles for gas-liquid transition. I take the temperature and pressure associated to the curve plotted in the P(V) graph above.

• Does that mean that if I wait long enough, my volume will never reach a value between V_1 and V_2 ? It can only be V_1 or V_2 (where we are stable).

Between the points 1 and a, I have read that the liquid-gas mixture is metastable. But I don't understand why as the derivative of the Gibbs Energy is not 0 in this zone (The Gibbs function is not plotted above but it is clearly not 0 in this whole zone). Thus we are not in an minimum of G.

• Can this metastability be understood from the thermodynamic variable we compute ? Or it can't because as we said, the van der waals model is innacurate when having the phase transition. And then I can't focus on the derivative of G to know if I am stable, unstable, metastable...
  • What does that physically mean to have a metastable equilibrium between two phases ? A stable equilibrium I totally get it (if I let the system like this it will last forever in this state). But for a metastable thermodynamic equilibrium ? What would change if the equilibrium would be stable for example ?
Thank you a lot for your help.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 892
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a liquid-gas phase transition?

A liquid-gas phase transition is a physical process in which a substance changes from a liquid state to a gas state. This occurs when the substance is heated above its boiling point, causing the intermolecular forces to weaken and allowing the molecules to escape into the gas phase.

2. What is a metastable mixed state?

A metastable mixed state is a state in which a substance exists in a combination of liquid and gas phases, even though it is at a temperature and pressure where it should only exist in one phase. This state is not stable and the substance will eventually transition to one phase or the other.

3. How does pressure affect the liquid-gas phase transition?

Pressure plays a crucial role in the liquid-gas phase transition. At higher pressures, the boiling point of a substance increases, making it more difficult for the substance to transition to the gas phase. This is why pressure cookers are able to cook food at higher temperatures - the higher pressure increases the boiling point of water, allowing it to reach higher temperatures without boiling.

4. What factors can influence the formation of metastable mixed states?

Metastable mixed states can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the composition of the substance. In addition, the rate at which heat is applied and removed from the substance can also affect its ability to form a metastable state.

5. What are some real-life examples of liquid-gas phase transitions and metastable mixed states?

Examples of liquid-gas phase transitions and metastable mixed states can be found in everyday life. Boiling water is a common example of a liquid-gas phase transition, as the water transitions from a liquid to a gas at its boiling point. Another example is carbon dioxide, which can exist in a metastable mixed state known as dry ice. In this state, it is a solid and a gas at the same time.