Question about Van der Waals EoS and Spinodal Line

In summary, the Van der Waals equation of state is a cubic equation of state that can represent the transition between gas and liquid phases. The metastable equilibria, such as superheated liquid and supersaturated vapor, can be explained by the nucleation process. Crossing the spinodal line leads to phase separation due to the change in curvature of the Helmholtz free energy. The region enclosed by the spinodal and binodal lines is a metastable equilibrium because the Helmholtz free energy is a convex function and has a minimum at the binodal line. However, these states are not equilibrium states and will eventually decay into the binodal equilibrium state due to an energy barrier.
dRic2
Gold Member
Van der Waals EoS is a cubic EoS that can represent the transition between gas and liquid phase. If you plot a P-V graph you end up with something like this
Schermata 2020-04-06 alle 12.42.11.png

The part I underlined in red are said to be metastable equilibria (i.e. superheated liquid and supersaturated vapor). I don't understand why. Why should I have a superheated liquid for example ? Why doesn't it boil?

So the first explanation regards nucleation. If you don't have bubbles, the liquid can't boil. That's fine. Then why if I cross the spinodal line I always have separation of phases ?

To answer this question one might notice that the spinodal line is the point where ##\frac {\partial P} {\partial V} = 0##, but since ##P = -\frac {\partial F}{\partial V}## (##F## is the Helmholtz's free energy), then ## \frac {\partial^2 F}{\partial V^2} = 0## so, the spinodal point is a point where Helmholtz's free energy reverses its curvature. Yet I'm missing the final step here. I can see that when ##F## becomes a concave function then I must have phase separation, but it still don't answer my question: "why is the region enclosed bu the spinodal and the binodal line a metastable equilibrium?"

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this question is related to the fact that the Helmholtz free energy is a convex function inside the metastable region and has a minimum at the binodal line. This means that, if you have a superheated liquid or a supersaturated vapor, then the system will try to reach the binodal line, where the Helmholtz free energy is lower. However, in order to do that, it needs to overcome an energy barrier, which is the difference between the Helmholtz free energy at the binodal and at the metastable point. This means that these metastable states are stable, but not equilibrium states: they can be maintained for some time, but they will eventually decay into the binodal equilibrium state.

What is the Van der Waals equation of state (EoS)?

The Van der Waals equation of state is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of gases, taking into account intermolecular forces and the volume occupied by the gas particles. It is an improvement on the ideal gas law and is commonly used to predict the behavior of real gases.

What is the significance of the Van der Waals EoS?

The Van der Waals EoS is significant because it provides a more accurate description of real gases compared to the ideal gas law. It takes into account the attractive forces between gas particles and the finite volume of the gas particles, making it a more comprehensive model for predicting gas behavior.

What is the Spinodal Line in relation to the Van der Waals EoS?

The Spinodal Line is a curve on a phase diagram that separates the region where a gas is stable from the region where it is unstable. In the context of the Van der Waals EoS, the Spinodal Line represents the boundary between the region where the gas is in a single-phase (either liquid or gas) and the region where it is in a two-phase (liquid and gas) state.

How is the Spinodal Line calculated using the Van der Waals EoS?

The Spinodal Line can be calculated using the critical point and reduced temperature and pressure of a gas. These values are plugged into the Van der Waals EoS, which is then solved for the volume. The resulting volume is plotted on a phase diagram to determine the location of the Spinodal Line.

What is the practical application of the Van der Waals EoS and Spinodal Line?

The Van der Waals EoS and Spinodal Line have practical applications in various industries, such as in the design and operation of chemical processes involving gases. They can also be used to study phase transitions and the behavior of gases under different conditions, providing valuable insights for research and development in fields such as materials science and thermodynamics.