How Do You Calculate Phase Transition Thermodynamics?

In summary, the liquid coexists with the solid, and the free energy functions have a common tangent. Clapeyron's relation connects pressure, temperature, and volume through the enthalpy. To use these equations, you need to determine the values for each of the parameters.
Daria
Homework Statement
The free energy per unit volume of a liquid is measured to be
FL/V=a(T)ρ2/2
Where ρ is a number density, a(T)=α/T with α a constant.
The free energy of the solid phase is
Fs/V=b(T)ρ3/3 with b(T)= β/T with β a constant.

At a given temperature, the pressure of the liquid can be increased to reach a value Ps at which the liquid solidifies. The density of the liquid is ρL at the transition, the density of the coexisting solid is ρS

1) Determine ρL, ρS and Ps as a function of temperature.
2) What is the change in the molar entropy across the transition?
3) Use Clapeyron’s relation to obtain the slope of the solidification curve. Is this consistent with the result obtained in 1) for P?
Relevant Equations
dP/dT = ΔS/ ΔV = ΔH/(TΔV)
F=U-TS
dF=-PdV-SdT
Hello! I'm struggling with this exercise for three days already. Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. This is my thoughts...

So a number density ρ=N/V. As I understand N doesn’t change through transition, but V changes

The free energy F=U-TS or dF=-PdV-SdT

As the liquid coexists with the solid, the liquid and solid free energy functions have the common tangent. I found derivatives for FL and Fs (I thought it is connected with a common tangent, but it didn’t help me with anything)

Clapeyron’s relation: dP/dT = ΔS/ ΔV = ΔH/(TΔV)

This is everything I came up with during the brainstorm and I don’t know if any of this is right, I don’t understand what to do next and what direction to go :’(

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to define your system and the parameters of interest. What are you trying to solve for? Are you looking for a numerical value or an equation? Are you looking to understand the thermodynamics of a phase transition, such as melting or boiling? Once you have clearly defined your problem, you can then begin to think about the equations and tools you will need to solve it. You have identified some of the key concepts and equations that might be useful in understanding the thermodynamics of a phase transition. The number density ρ=N/V is related to the number of particles N and the volume V, and the free energy F=U-TS contains the internal energy U, temperature T, and entropy S. Clapeyron's relation connects pressure, temperature, and volume through the enthalpy ΔH. To use these equations, you need to determine the values for each of the parameters. For example, you need to know the initial temperature and pressure in order to calculate the enthalpy difference across the phase transition. You also need to know the change in volume and entropy across the transition in order to calculate the free energy. Once you have determined the values of these parameters, you can then use the equations to calculate the free energy of the system. This will allow you to understand the thermodynamics of the phase transition and the driving forces behind it.

What is a liquid-solid transition?

A liquid-solid transition is a physical process in which a substance changes from a liquid state to a solid state, or vice versa. This transition can occur due to changes in temperature, pressure, or other external factors.

What is the difference between a liquid and a solid?

A liquid is a state of matter in which the particles are able to move freely and flow past one another. A solid, on the other hand, has particles that are tightly packed together and are unable to move past one another. Solids also have a fixed shape and volume, while liquids take on the shape of their container.

What factors can influence a liquid-solid transition?

As mentioned earlier, changes in temperature and pressure can affect a liquid-solid transition. Other factors include the properties of the substance itself, such as its molecular structure and intermolecular forces, as well as the presence of impurities or additives.

Can a substance have multiple liquid-solid transitions?

Yes, a substance can have multiple liquid-solid transitions. For example, water can transition from a liquid to a solid when it freezes, and then back to a liquid when it melts. It can also undergo a liquid-solid transition when it becomes a gas through the process of evaporation.

What are some real-life examples of liquid-solid transitions?

Some common examples of liquid-solid transitions include the freezing of water to form ice, the solidification of molten metal to create solid objects, and the hardening of wax or chocolate as they cool down. Other examples include the formation of snowflakes, the solidification of lava as it cools, and the process of condensation in which water vapor turns into liquid water.