List of Predatory Journals

In summary, this website lists 8000 "predatory" journals that are actively seeking to exploit researchers for financial gain.
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:

It's worth pointing out that of the list of so-called "Canadian" publications, most are not actually Canadian at all, in terms of content, authors, editorial board, or even the location of their offices.

For example, according to the Ottawa Citizen article, with quotes below:

"
But how Canadian are these sites, underneath their red maple leaves and photos of Justin Trudeau?

Behind the Canadian names, there’s not much Canadian content and headquarters are often in India. The Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences is typical, with authors from India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Brazil, Morocco and Saudi Arabia, but not Canada. Its current issue is an assortment of topics from turtles to acoustics to malaria to fungus in the walls of a museum — generally useless to busy scientists who want focused journals in the fields where they work."

StatGuy2000 said:
It's worth pointing out that of the list of so-called "Canadian" publications, most are not actually Canadian at all
One was actually from Toronto "sharing an address with Goodlife Fitness".

StatGuy2000 said:
Well, I did say "most", not "all".
My comment wasn't meant as a criticism, rather a reminder that even an IP address isn't a reliable marker these days.

Likes StatGuy2000
jtbell said:
likely connected with legal challenges against him and the University of Colorado.
Hi jtbell:

Thanks for your link to the Wikipedia article.

I do not disagree with your conclusion that the legal challenges might well have played some role in the removal of Beall's list from the university site, but I think saying that it was the "likely" reason is not quite justified from what I read in the Wikipedia article. I tend to believe the statement summarizing Beall's reason:
Beall later wrote that he had taken down his blog because of pressure from the University of Colorado, which threatened his job security.​
Wikipedia cites the following for this summary.
Beall, Jeffrey (September 2009). "Bentham Open". The Charleston Advisor. 11 (1): 29–32.​
I tried to get access to read the above, but apparently The Charleston Advisor requires a subscription to access a reprint.

If what you intended to convey was that the University of Colorado yielded to the threat of lawsuits, and then they pressured Beall, I think you might have phrased your statement more clearly.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
If what you intended to convey was that the University of Colorado yielded to the threat of lawsuits, and then they pressured Beall, I think you might have phrased your statement more clearly.
Yes, that would be a more accurate description, and I apologize for my sloppy language.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. What is a predatory journal?

A predatory journal is a publication that claims to be a legitimate scientific or academic journal, but operates under unethical practices. These journals often have little to no peer-review process, charge exorbitant fees for publication, and publish low-quality or even fake research.

2. How can I identify a predatory journal?

There are several red flags to look out for when identifying a predatory journal. These include: lack of peer-review process, promises of quick publication, unsolicited or spam emails soliciting submissions, and low-quality or non-existent editorial boards. It is important to thoroughly research a journal before submitting your work.

3. Why are predatory journals a problem?

Predatory journals undermine the integrity of the scientific community by publishing unreliable and often fraudulent research. This can harm the reputation of legitimate researchers and institutions. Additionally, researchers may waste time and resources submitting to these journals, and their work may not receive proper recognition or citations.

4. How can I avoid publishing in a predatory journal?

To avoid publishing in a predatory journal, it is important to carefully research the journal's reputation and practices. Look for journals that are indexed in reputable databases, have a strong peer-review process, and have a clear and transparent editorial board. You can also seek recommendations from colleagues or consult resources such as the Directory of Open Access Journals.

5. What should I do if I have unknowingly published in a predatory journal?

If you have published in a predatory journal, it is important to take steps to retract your work and inform others about the journal's unethical practices. This can include contacting the journal and requesting a retraction, reporting the journal to appropriate organizations or databases, and informing colleagues and institutions about your experience. It is also important to be vigilant in the future to avoid publishing in predatory journals.