List of recognized journals in Relativity and Gravitation

In summary: I am familiar with AJP and EJP, but I am specifically looking for journals that publish articles on SR/GR. In summary, the respected peer-reviewed journals for articles on SR/GR, as suggested by experts in the field, include Nature/Nature Physics, Physical Review D, Physical Review Letters, Classical and Quantum Gravity, General Relativity and Gravitation, Annalen der Physik, Science, International Journal of Modern Physics A, International Journal of Modern Physics D, European Physical Journal C, Annals of Physics, Journal of Mathematical Physics, International Journal of Theoretical Physics, Foundations of Physics, New Journal of Physics, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Indian Journal of Physics, Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, Communications in
adrian_m
I am very interested to know which peer-reviewed journals are considered seriously by mainstream scientists for articles on SR/GR (even if they are not restricted to SR/GR only).

There are a lot of 'peer-reviewed' journals out there which publish on SR/GR, but which are the well regarded ones that one should read?

I have compiled a list that I think satisfy the criteria, but would like to know if this list is (a) correct, and (b) complete (i.e. not missing important journals in SR/GR).

This is my list (not in order of importance)
  • International:
  1. Nature/Nature Physics
  2. Physical Review D
  3. Physical Review Letters
  4. Classical and Quantum Gravity
  5. General Relativity and Gravitation
  6. Annalen der Physik
  7. Science (does not seem to publish theory, only experimental results - is that correct?)
  8. International Journal of Modern Physics A
  9. International Journal of Modern Physics D
  10. European Physical Journal C
  11. Annals of Physics
  12. Journal of Mathematical Physics (only mathematical treatments, not pure theory?)
  13. International Journal of Theoretical Physics
  14. Foundations of Physics
  15. New Journal of Physics
  16. Proceedings of the Royal Society A

• Country/region specific ones:
  1. Indian Journal of Physics
  2. Journal of the Physical Society of Japan
  3. Communications in Theoretical Physics (China)
  4. Brazilian Journal of Physics

• Not sure of status:

1. Physical Review X (APS Publication)
  2. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical (IOP Publication)
  3. Physics Essays
  4. Physicist
  5. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Physics (Springer Publication)
  6. International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Physics (Ascent Publication)
  7. International Journal of Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
  8. International Journal of Modern Theoretical Physics

• Not exactly a journal, but respected website:
  1. Living Reviews in Relativity

(P.S. I have gone through the list of 'journals acceptable for quotations' in the Physics Forum list, and there are thousands of them, but it does not specify which ones are really relevant for SR/GR, hence I am looking for inputs from the knowledgeable people in this forum).

I am talking about periodically published journals only, not books.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

(Optionally, I would also be VERY INTERESTED to know how the experts in this forum rank the above journals (and any important ones I have missed) in order of importance from SR/GR perspective, which may be different from their overall Impact Factors I think. Looking for just opinions here...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost all of the GR papers I have ever read came from AIP (Journal of Mathematical Physics); that may most likely be because Wald very frequently references AIP GR papers in his text and Wald's text is the GR text that I use the most fervently. Regardless, AIP is a brilliant resource for GR papers.

WannabeNewton said:
Almost all of the GR papers I have ever read came from AIP (Journal of Mathematical Physics); that may most likely be because Wald very frequently references AIP GR papers in his text and Wald's text is the GR text that I use the most fervently. Regardless, AIP is a brilliant resource for GR papers.

Thanks for the response, WBN. JMP is in my list above. Looking for important journals that I may have missed, or 'unimportant ones' I may have included.

You might also want to look into:

Communications in Mathematical Physics

Advances in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics

For Pedagogy:
American Journal of Physics
European Journal of Physics

Last edited:
Thanks robphy.

What is the "List of recognized journals in Relativity and Gravitation"?

The "List of recognized journals in Relativity and Gravitation" is a curated list of academic journals that focus on the fields of relativity and gravitation. These journals are considered reputable and publish high-quality research in these areas.

How is the list of recognized journals in Relativity and Gravitation created?

The list is created through a rigorous process of evaluation and review by experts in the fields of relativity and gravitation. These experts consider factors such as the journal's impact factor, citation rate, and overall quality of published research.

Why is it important to have a list of recognized journals in Relativity and Gravitation?

Having a list of recognized journals in Relativity and Gravitation helps researchers and scientists identify reputable sources for their research and ensures that their work is published in highly regarded journals. This can also help with career advancement and funding opportunities.

Are all journals on the list considered equally reputable?

No, while all journals on the list are considered reputable, they may have different levels of impact and prestige within the field of relativity and gravitation. It is important for researchers to carefully consider the specific journal they choose to submit their work to.

Is the list of recognized journals in Relativity and Gravitation updated regularly?

Yes, the list is regularly updated to reflect changes in the field and the addition of new reputable journals. It is important for researchers to check the list periodically to ensure they are aware of any updates or changes.