List of Quantum phenomenon effects

In summary: Bose-Einstein condensation, Anderson localization, topological insulators, renormalization group flow.In summary, quantum phase transitions are a key part of quantum mechanics. They occur at a critical point in a system, and can drastically change the behavior of the system.
HawkI
Hello everyone, sorry to bother you. I was just looking around for a list of all the Quantum phenomenon effects and couldn't find one quickly.

I know two of them such as tunnelling and locking but the rest of the ones I've heard of I can't remember. Also there may be ones I don't know about.

So do you reckon here on this forum we could make a list?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by complete list? It's hard to find anything in everyday life that's not a quantum effect, starting from the stability of the matter surrounding us (and including ourselves ;-)).

Likes bhobba
By a complete list I guess I mean known things such as Quantum Verb. So for example I just remembered one, Quantum Entanglement. You know things that are general phenomenon related to Quantum Mechanics.

Thank you for getting the ball rolling :-)

Quantum super position that's another one. Ok I think this thread is done now, it didn't really work. You may lock or delete it. :wink:

My my, why so impatient? It's been posted for a total of 5 hours so far on a Saturday...:smile:

What is the context of the question? Why do you want to put together such a list?

HawkI said:
By a complete list I guess I mean known things such as Quantum Verb. So for example I just remembered one, Quantum Entanglement. You know things that are general phenomenon related to Quantum Mechanics.

Thank you for getting the ball rolling :-)

Here's a few quantum nouns and verbs off the top of my head (including those already mentioned):

Quantum bounce
Quantum chaos
Quantum computation
Quantum data compression
Quantum data locking (quantum enigma machine)
Quantum decoherence
Quantum dense coding
Quantum entanglement
Quantum illumination (in quantum cryptography)
Quantum interference (quantum diffraction)
Quantum jumps (collapse)
Quantum Key Distribution (in quantum cryptography)
Quantum noise (see quantum uncertainty)
Quantum non-demolition measurement
Quantum nonlocality
Quantum one-time pad
Quantum state tomography
Quantum steering
Quantum superposition
Quantum teleportation
Quantum tunneling
Quantum uncertainty (of the irreducible variety)
Quantum wave-particle duality (quantum interference)
Quantum zero-point energy

Hope this helps:)

Last edited:
Likes HawkI
berkeman said:
My my, why so impatient? It's been posted for a total of 5 hours so far on a Saturday...:smile:

What is the context of the question? Why do you want to put together such a list?
I think the OP has a trauma after two of his older posts got closed.

HawkI said:
You know things that are general phenomenon related to Quantum Mechanics.

Here you go... some, anyway...

Also, here ... :oldwink:

Last edited:
Hey guys, don't worry, thanks for the contribution, I bought a physics dictionary.

I would like to add quantum phase transitions. Quantum phase transitions are caused by quantum fluctuations at T=0 which occur at a critica value of a some parameter.

For example, the transverse Ising model in 1+1d is a 1d Ising chain which is coupled to a transverse field. The quantum fluctuations are caused by the fact that Sx and Sz don't commute. When the field is zero, the system is in the ordered state but at a critical value of the field, it becomes a quantum paramagnet. In this case, there is only an ordered phase at T=0. However, the effects of the quantum critical point strongly influence the behavior of the system at finite T. The transverse Ising model in d dimensions maps onto the classical Ising model in d+1 dimensions. The quantum gap maps to the inverse classical correlation length.

Some more specific examples: superfluidity/superconductivity, IQHE/FQHE, Hawking radiation, emergent emergent gauge fields,

1. What are some examples of quantum phenomenon effects?

Some examples of quantum phenomenon effects include superposition, entanglement, tunneling, and quantum interference.

2. How do these effects differ from classical physics?

Quantum phenomenon effects differ from classical physics in that they involve behavior and interactions at a microscopic level, where the laws of classical physics break down.

3. What is superposition and how does it work?

Superposition is the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that a particle can be in two or more places at the same time, or have multiple properties at once.

4. Can entanglement be used for practical applications?

Yes, entanglement has been used in practical applications such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as MRI machines and atomic clocks.

5. How do these effects impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum phenomenon effects have greatly expanded our understanding of the universe and have challenged our traditional views of reality. They have also led to the development of new technologies and have the potential to revolutionize fields such as computing, communication, and energy production.