I formulating a research question for my Extended Essay

In summary, a student in the IB Diploma course is seeking help in formulating a research question for their Extended Essay on quantum locking and superconductors. They have access to materials from quantumlevitation.com and are interested in investigating the physics behind the Meissner Effect and its potential applications. They propose the question "What is the relationship between the Meissner Effect and the Conservation of Mechanical Energy?" and are seeking guidance on the appropriate format for an IB Physics Extended Essay.
kipling_01
TL;DR Summary
Help in formulating a research question about Quantum Levitation, superconductors, and the Meissner effect for my Extended Essay.
Hello,

I am a student in the IB Diploma course. I've decided to focus my essay on quantum locking: including superconductors (YBCO), the Meissner Effect. I have access to the materials needed to experiment with this topic (materials from quantumlevitation.com). Could anyone help me formulate an appropriate research question for my Extended Essay in this field of science?

I would much appreciate it, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kipling_01 said:
Could anyone help me formulate an appropriate research question for my Extended Essay in this field of science?
You're likely to find folks here willing to help, but not willing to do it for you. Do you have no ideas of your own? It would be good it you would draft something and ask for help refining it.

Likes vanhees71
My bad, some ideas I had in mind was to discuss the Meissner Effect in Superconductors when cooled down to a critical temperature with liquid nitrogen. I was inspired to this topic when watching a talk on TED.com about quantum locking and quantum levitation (video here: ).
I already have access to the materials above. I want to investigate the physics behind it and discuss how it can be used for future applications, as a new way to transmit energy frictionless, not allowing the material to waste any of its energy into heat.

Would this research question be appropriate for my Extended Essay:

1) What is the relationship between the Meissner Effect and the Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

I am still confused as to what is the appropriate format for an IB Physics Extended Essay. Please respond if you can contribute any help. Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of formulating a research question for my Extended Essay?

The research question is the foundation of your Extended Essay and serves as a guide for your entire research process. It helps you narrow down your topic, focus your research, and ensure that your essay has a clear and specific direction.

2. How do I come up with a good research question?

A good research question should be specific, relevant, and manageable. It should also be open-ended and allow for different interpretations and perspectives. To come up with a good research question, start by brainstorming potential topics and then refine them by considering their feasibility and significance.

3. Can my research question change as I conduct my research?

Yes, it is common for research questions to evolve and change as you gather more information and insights. However, it is important to regularly review and refine your research question to ensure that it remains focused and relevant to your topic.

4. How does my research question relate to my chosen subject and research area?

Your research question should align with the subject and research area you have chosen for your Extended Essay. It should also be related to a specific aspect or issue within that subject or research area. This will help you stay within the scope of your essay and avoid straying too far from your chosen topic.

5. How can I ensure that my research question is not too broad or too narrow?

A good research question should be neither too broad nor too narrow. To avoid this, make sure your question is specific and focused on a particular aspect or issue within your chosen topic. You can also consult with your supervisor or peers to get feedback on the scope of your research question.