Lithium is the 3rd most common element in the universe

In summary, Elon Musk said that there is enough lithium on Earth to fulfil Tesla's battery requirements. However, this statement is disputed and may not be correct.
physicsnoobie79
I was watching a video on Elon Musk. I believe he is a smart guy and he certainly knows is stuff. However, he said something in this video which I was surprised about and I can't seem to corroborate with various Google searching. Someone asked him whether there was enough Lithium on Earth to fulfil all the battery requirements for the Tesla cars he intends to ramp up to. He then said that Lithium was the 3rd most common element in the universe:

It doesn't appear in the 10 ten here: http://education.jlab.org/glossary/abund_uni.html
Not in the top 5 here: http://random-facts.top5.com/the-top-5-most-abundant-elements-in-the-(known)-universe

So I just wanted to understand, is he incorrect or is there no clear cut answer?

TIA

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't want to search the whole video for that statement, but this looks wrong. Oxygen is the third most abundant element, carbon is fourth - at least within our galaxy, and other galaxies shouldn't be too different.

Lithium was #3 shortly after the big bang, before stars produced the heavier elements.

Likes dextercioby
mfb said:
I don't want to search the whole video for that statement, but this looks wrong. Oxygen is the third most abundant element, carbon is fourth - at least within our galaxy, and other galaxies shouldn't be too different.

Lithium was #3 shortly after the big bang, before stars produced the heavier elements.
Sorry, I added a YouTube link which was set to the specific time but it got converted to an embedded YouTube link which started from the beginning. Anyway, the reference is at 2 hours 59 minute mark.

Well, the #3 comment looks wrong. The other things are true: there is a huge amount of lithium around.

Likes physicsnoobie79
The abundance in the crust, the abundance on Earth overall, the abundance in the solar system and the overall abundance are different things. The Earth overall tends to accumulate heavy elements, the crust tends to accumulate intermediate elements.

mfb said:
The abundance in the crust, the abundance on Earth overall, the abundance in the solar system and the overall abundance are different things. The Earth overall tends to accumulate heavy elements, the crust tends to accumulate intermediate elements.

In all those different places (or some you may not have mentioned), does Lithium appear #3 in any of them? E.g. did Elon say universe mistakenly when he meant crust?

I don't see where it would be number 3. Certainly not in the places I mentioned.

Lithium was the third most abundant element from a few minutes after the big bang to something like hundreds of millions of years after the big bang, not sure where exactly the end was.

What is lithium?

Lithium is a chemical element with the symbol Li and atomic number 3. It is a soft, silvery-white metal that is highly reactive and can easily react with water and air.

Why is lithium the 3rd most common element in the universe?

Lithium is the 3rd most common element in the universe because it was one of the three elements (along with hydrogen and helium) created during the Big Bang, the event that formed the universe. It can also be formed in stars through nuclear fusion reactions.

Where is lithium found?

Lithium is found in the Earth's crust, primarily in the form of minerals such as spodumene, lepidolite, and petalite. It can also be found in seawater, mineral springs, and some types of igneous rocks.

What are the uses of lithium?

Lithium has a variety of uses, including in rechargeable batteries for electronic devices and electric vehicles, in ceramics and glass production, and in the treatment of certain mental disorders such as bipolar disorder. It is also used in lubricants and as a coolant in nuclear reactors.

Is there a shortage of lithium?

Currently, there is no shortage of lithium. However, as demand for lithium for use in batteries and other products increases, there may be concerns about potential shortages in the future. Efforts are being made to increase lithium production and find alternative sources of the element.