Little help interpreting spectral data from an article

In summary, the article provides a great resource for finding absorption and reflection spectra in visible light for pigments, but it's not clear how reflectance values > 100% are achieved. There are a few explanations for the high reflectance values that are not explicitly explained in the article.
Guilherme Franco
I'm trying to find a good database of absorption or reflection spectra in visible light for pigments.

I've found a wonderful database in this article: http://e-conservation.org/issue-2/36-FORS-spectral-database#CSV

It's almost exactly what I needed

Except I don't understand the data

The graphs in the article show a lot of reflectance values over 100% (and doesn't explain them) and the data in the CSV files have both numbers greater than 100 and lower than 0 (negative numbers), not to mention I don't know if those values are percentages (the same on the graphs of the article) or some signal intensity value.

I can't seem to find explanation for these things on the article.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the numbers in the csv files are the same as the percentages in the graphs. The article explains that reflectance values are not absolute but are with reference to a white reflectance standard. If the sample reflects more strongly than the reference, the reflectance value is > 100%. The few negative numbers look like just the result of noise at low wavelengths.

Likes DrClaude, davenn and sophiecentaur
Seems crazy, on the face of it. There must be something in the 'small print' that allows for >100% reflectance. I have been skipping around a number of Google hits and the reference seems to be a 99% Spectralon diffuse reflectance standard, whatever that is. That makes it even more weird.
On the face of it, you'd need some frequency shifting mechanism to get more out at a given frequency than is put in. Fluorescence happens in some materials but I thought it needed UV energies.

this isn't my field of expertise
Am some others will chime in

@Dale @Andy Resnick
Guilherme Franco said:
I don't know if those values are percentages (the same on the graphs of the article) or some signal intensity value.

this comment in the introduction explains that part of the query

A FORS spectrum shows for each wavelength, the ratio between the intensity of the reflected light and the incident light, measured with respect to a standard white reference. This ratio is called reflectance and is given in percentage (%).
I am just also not sure how more than 100% is achieved ?

mjc123 said:
I assume the numbers in the csv files are the same as the percentages in the graphs. The article explains that reflectance values are not absolute but are with reference to a white reflectance standard. If the sample reflects more strongly than the reference, the reflectance value is > 100%. The few negative numbers look like just the result of noise at low wavelengths.
yes, exactly

davenn said:
I am just also not sure how more than 100% is achieved ?
I guess this is so familiar to the 'experts' that they don't even feel the need to explain it away. Or perhaps it takes a Physicist to even notice something like this? We have a 'learned intuition'.

Guilherme Franco said:
I'm trying to find a good database of absorption or reflection spectra in visible light for pigments.

The graphs in the article show a lot of reflectance values over 100% (and doesn't explain them) and the data in the CSV files have both numbers greater than 100 and lower than 0 (negative numbers), not to mention I don't know if those values are percentages (the same on the graphs of the article) or some signal intensity value.

mjc123 said:

davenn said:
this isn't my field of expertise
Am some others will chime in

@Dale @Andy Resnick

I've done a lot of these kinds of measurements, there could be a number of reasons why reflectance measurements > 100%, and unfortunately, I couldn't get a clear understanding of the measurement method from the article. For example: it's not clear if the reflectance measurement is 'normal' reflection or retroreflection (back reflection). It could be 'normal' (http://oceanoptics.com//wp-content/uploads/example-setup-reflectance-1.jpg), but it's not explicit. For normal incidence this doesn't matter, but it does for 45-degree angle incidence. Also, I didn't see in the article where they discuss a 'reflection standard': not only could certain materials reflect more than a standard material (like spectralon), if the material is more specular than the diffuse standard, the reflectance measurement could >100%.

A more complete reflectance specification is the 'bi-directional reflectance distribution function':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidirectional_reflectance_distribution_function

One other (probably minor) effect: the authors mention some of the pigments fluoresce; if they illuminate the sample with white light some of the short-wavelength energy will convert to longer wavelengths increasing the apparent reflectance.

Likes davenn

What is spectral data?

Spectral data is a measurement of the intensity of light as a function of its wavelength or frequency. It can be used to identify and analyze the chemical composition of a substance.

What is the purpose of interpreting spectral data?

The purpose of interpreting spectral data is to gain information about the chemical structure and properties of a substance. This can help in identifying unknown substances, studying chemical reactions, and determining the purity of a sample.

How is spectral data collected?

Spectral data is collected using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed or transmitted by a substance at different wavelengths. The data is then displayed as a spectrum, which can be analyzed and interpreted.

What are the different types of spectral data?

There are several types of spectral data, including absorption, emission, and fluorescence spectra. Each type measures different aspects of light interaction with a substance and can provide unique information about its chemical properties.

How do I interpret spectral data from an article?

To interpret spectral data from an article, it is important to understand the experimental setup and methods used to collect the data. You should also be familiar with the properties and characteristics of the specific type of spectrum being analyzed. Additionally, comparing the data to known reference spectra can aid in interpretation.