Solving Spectral Plotting Confusion with Hitran Database Data - Help Needed!

• Thread starter nordmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectra
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of plotting a "synthetic" emission spectra using data from the Hitran database. The question is raised about the unit of intensity used in the database and how it differs from the usual units of intensity. It is clarified that intensity in this case refers to the absorbance being measured, not the intensity of a spectrometer. The issue of plotting the emission spectra is also addressed, with the suggestion of using Kirchhoffs law or the Beer-Lambert law. The speaker expresses confusion and asks for help, but is reminded to post in the appropriate forum section if it is related to homework.
nordmoon
I was not sure if I should post this here or in the Atomic forum (hope its in its right place).

My task is to plot the "synthetic" emission spectra with help from data provided by the hitemp database (hitran database: http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/hitran/). So, I have several question that have arised.

In the Hitran database (and other database) they uses an unit on intensity that is [cm-1/( molecule × cm-2 )] How does this work? Isn't intensity usually given in the unit [Wm-2] or [Wm-2sr-1]?

What is intensity of a spectral line? I guessing it is the absorbance you are measuring and not the intensity with a spectrometer?

As I said I would like to plot the emission spectra. I have been told it is not the inverse of the absorption spectra (due to photons lost by quenching, collisions, ionizations etc.)? So how do I do this?

I am provided with following parameters..

M = Molecule number
I = Isotopologue number
v = Vacuum wavenumber
S = Intensity [ cm^1/(molecule cm^2) at standard 296K
R = Weighted square of the transition moment
A = Einstein A-coefficient
gair = Air-broadened half-width
gself = Self-broadened half-width
E00 = Lower-state energy
nair = Temperature-dependence exponent for gair
dair = Air pressure-induced line shift
V0 = Upper-state ‘‘global’’ quanta
V00 = Lower-state ‘‘global’’ quanta
Q0 = Upper-state ‘‘local’’ quanta
Q00 = Lower-state ‘‘local’’ quanta
g0 = Statistical weight of the upper state
g00 = Statistical weight of the lower state

I am able to plot the spectra from the data that is provided by the hitran database in MATLAB (but then I plot the value S as the maximum value of line.. and sum the "intensities" if there are spectral lines that are "on top" of each other). I would like to plot the the emission spectra, but according to definition in the "HITRAN paper describing 1996 edition" the intensity S is the integrated area of the spectral line. (shapded area of the line). I am guessing this is neither absorption or emission?? Or??

The lines you see in a spectra is that the absorbance or the emission that you register and not the intensity? Do you see my confusion? I guess one have to try to determine the absorbance from the hitran or?

I am thinking that maybe one could use the "Kirchhoffs law" (e=1-r) to plot the emission line or maybe the Beer -Lambert Law?? Does anyone have a clue?

gosh, I am so confused.

Any help would be very much appriciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If this is homework you should post this in the homework section of the forums.

1. What is spectral plotting and why is it important?

Spectral plotting is a method used to visually represent the absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation by matter. It is important because it allows scientists to analyze and interpret the spectral data, which can provide valuable information about the composition and properties of substances.

2. What is the Hitran database and how is it used to solve spectral plotting confusion?

The Hitran database is a comprehensive collection of spectroscopic information for molecules relevant to Earth's atmosphere and other planetary atmospheres. It contains parameters such as molecular energy levels, transition frequencies, and absorption cross-sections. By using this database, scientists can accurately model and predict spectral data, helping to solve any confusion or discrepancies in the plotted spectra.

3. Can the Hitran database data be used for all types of spectral plotting?

No, the Hitran database data is specifically designed for spectroscopic analysis of gases and vapors. It may not be suitable for other types of spectral plotting, such as for solids or liquids.

4. How can the Hitran database data be accessed and utilized?

The Hitran database can be accessed through the official website or through software programs that utilize the database. Users can input specific parameters and molecules to retrieve relevant data for their spectral analysis.

5. Are there any limitations or potential errors when using the Hitran database for spectral plotting?

Like any scientific database, the Hitran database is constantly being updated and improved. However, there may still be limitations and potential errors in the data, particularly for rare or complex molecules. It is important for scientists to carefully validate and cross-check their results when using the Hitran database for spectral plotting.