LLT, GCT and gauge transformations

In summary: This makes perfect sense. The vielbein equation says that the gauge transformations and the fiber transformations are different beasts, which is why they have different indices. This fact is crucial in gauging the (super) Poincare algebra: it allows one to remove the local translations via a conventional constraint.
Ravi Mohan
It has been sometime since I have been thinking about this question and I have been quite successful in confusing myself.
In Einstein's General Relativity, we say that the general coordinate transformations (or diffeomorphisms) on a manifold are the gauge transformations of the theory. The local Lorentz transformations are the orthogonal rotations in the tensor bundle of the manifold. Thus the structure group of the fibre bundle is essentially the Lorentz group (for manifold with a Lorentzian metric).

Now the structure group is a set of transformations which essentially performs rotations in the bundle which, means it changes the basis in a specific way. And in cases where we use natural basis (coordinate basis), it should mean just changing the coordinates. But that is essentially a diffeomorphism (which is gauge transformation). But Lorentz symmetry cannot be a gauge symmetry. So I was wondering where I am going wrong.

On another note, I wonder if GR is a gauge theory in typical sense. Generally, the structure group in the fibre bundle of a manifold, in a gauge theory, forms a gauge group. But for GR, the structure group of the fibre bundle is giving the actuall symmetries of the theory (Lorentz transformations).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ravi,

I´m not that familiar with bundle-jargon (I've never seen what it contributes to my understanding), but I consider in GR both the gct's and the LLT's (!) as gauge transformations. One way to see this is to consider the gauging of the Poincaré algebra. This procedure is reviewed in e.g. http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.1145. One gauges the algebra and imposes a co-called conventional constraint; this effectively removes the local translations from your theory, and as such the remaining gauge transformations are gct's and LLT's.

Likes Ravi Mohan
How does the Lanczos tensor fit into all of this ? That's something I have always wondered about.

haushofer said:
Hi Ravi,

I´m not that familiar with bundle-jargon (I've never seen what it contributes to my understanding), but I consider in GR both the gct's and the LLT's (!) as gauge transformations. One way to see this is to consider the gauging of the Poincaré algebra. This procedure is reviewed in e.g. http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.1145. One gauges the algebra and imposes a co-called conventional constraint; this effectively removes the local translations from your theory, and as such the remaining gauge transformations are gct's and LLT's.

Interesting! I will study the reference. But if I can find a conserved Noether charge corresponding to LLTs, that certainly means that they are not the gauge transformations.

Last edited:
haushofer said:
Hi Ravi,

I had a discussion with Prof. Distler and he also confirmed that LLTs are actually the gauge transformations. In fact, when we introduce the vielbeins
[tex]
\hat{e}_{(\mu)}=e_{\mu}^{a}\hat{e}_{(a)}
[/tex]
we basically introduce ##d^2## variables out of which ##\frac{d(d-1)}{2}## are redundant. It can be seen from the equation
[tex]
g_{\mu\nu}=e^a_{\mu}e^b_{\nu}\eta_{ab}.
[/tex]

Next, it is clear from the first equation (or its inverse), the coordinate transformations and fibre basis transformations are separate beasts. Hence LLTs and GCTs are not related to each other in any sense but both of them are essentially the gauge symmetries of the theory.

Yes, they are different beasts, hence the different indices (flat,a and curved,mu). They can be relatedthough by taking field-dependent parameters, i.e. in soft algebras. This fact is crucial in gauging the (super) Poincare algebra: it allows one to remove the local translations via a conventional constraint.

1. What do LLT, GCT, and gauge transformations refer to?

LLT stands for Local Lorentz Transformations, GCT stands for General Coordinate Transformations, and gauge transformations are a mathematical tool used in field theories to describe symmetries. They are all concepts used in physics to understand how coordinates and measurements change in different reference frames.

2. What is the difference between LLT and GCT?

LLT is a special case of GCT, where the transformation is restricted to being a coordinate transformation in a local region. GCT, on the other hand, is a more general concept that includes transformations that can change the distance and angle between points in a given reference frame.

3. Why are gauge transformations important in physics?

Gauge transformations are important because they help us understand the symmetries in physical systems. In many cases, these symmetries can lead to conservation laws, which are fundamental in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. How are gauge transformations applied in field theories?

In field theories, gauge transformations are used to describe how a field changes under transformations of its coordinates. This is important because these transformations can help us understand how a field behaves and how it interacts with other fields in a given system.

5. Can gauge transformations be used to solve problems in physics?

Yes, gauge transformations can be used to solve problems in physics. They are a powerful mathematical tool that helps us understand the symmetries in physical systems, which can lead to solutions to complex problems and provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of physics.