Load model in TensorFlow gives a different result than the original one

• Thread starter Gaussian97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Model
In summary, the code is using TensorFlow version 2.3.0 and the code is trying to load a model that was saved using ModelCheckpoint. The problem is that the models are not supposed to be identical and the first evaluation returns an accuracy of 0.477, while the other returns an accuracy of 0.128, which is essentially a random choice.
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
I'm using the TensorFlow library in Python. After creating a model and saving it, if I load the entire model, I get inconsistent results.
First of all, I'm using TensorFlow version 2.3.0
The code I'm using is the following:
Python:
from tensorflow.keras.models import Sequential
from tensorflow.keras.layers import Dense, Flatten, Conv2D, MaxPooling2D
from tensorflow.keras.callbacks import ModelCheckpoint

def get_new_model():
    model = Sequential([
        Conv2D(filters=16, input_shape=(32, 32, 3), kernel_size=(3, 3), activation='relu', name='conv_1'),
        Conv2D(filters=8, kernel_size=(3, 3), activation='relu', name='conv_2'),
        MaxPooling2D(pool_size=(4, 4), name='pool_1'),
        Flatten(name='flatten'),
        Dense(units=32, activation='relu', name='dense_1'),
        Dense(units=10, activation='softmax', name='dense_2')
    ])
    model.compile(optimizer='adam', loss='sparse_categorical_crossentropy', metrics=['accuracy'])
    return model

checkpoint_path = 'model_checkpoints'
checkpoint = ModelCheckpoint(filepath=checkpoint_path, save_weights_only=False, frequency='epoch', verbose=1)

model = get_new_model()
model.fit(x_train, y_train, epochs=3, callbacks=[checkpoint])
Until here no problem, I create the model, compile it and train it with some data. I also use ModelCheckpoint to save the model.
The problem comes when I try the following
Python:
from tensorflow.keras.models import load_model

model2 = load_model(checkpoint_path)

model.evaluate(x_test, y_test)
model2.evaluate(x_test, y_test)
Then, the first evaluation returns an accuracy of 0.477, while the other returns an accuracy of 0.128, which is essentially a random choice.
Where's the error? The two models are supposed to be identical, and actually, they give the same value for the loss function up to 16 decimal places.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't have any experience with checkpoints in TF, but maybe you could try to save a complete model using this guide:
https://www.tensorflow.org/guide/saved_model

In the checkpoint guide, they state:
The phrase "Saving a TensorFlow model" typically means one of two things:
Checkpoints, OR
SavedModel.

Checkpoints capture the exact value of all parameters (tf.Variable objects) used by a model. Checkpoints do not contain any description of the computation defined by the model and thus are typically only useful when source code that will use the saved parameter values is available.

The SavedModel format on the other hand includes a serialized description of the computation defined by the model in addition to the parameter values (checkpoint). Models in this format are independent of the source code that created the model. They are thus suitable for deployment via TensorFlow Serving, TensorFlow Lite, TensorFlow.js, or programs in other programming languages (the C, C++, Java, Go, Rust, C# etc. TensorFlow APIs).

Yes, my problem is that this code should work theoretically. So either I'm doing something wrong, which is mainly what I'm interested to know. Or maybe there's some bug in TensorFlow? Because I checked and the weights of the two models are the same, I don't know what else affects the evaluate function but as far as I know, if I have two models with the same architecture and same weights, they should perform equally on the same data.

Have you tried creating the checkpoint file after you have trained the model?

I have tried to define the checkpoint after creating the model, doesn't help. I can't define it after the fit method (which is the one that trains the model) because the checkpoint is an argument to that method.
But that is not the problem, even if I ignore the callback and save the model manually using the 'save' method after the training, I still have the same problem.

What does it mean when a load model in TensorFlow gives a different result than the original one?

When a load model in TensorFlow gives a different result, it means that there is a discrepancy between the output of the model when it was originally trained and the output when it is being loaded and used. This could be due to various factors such as changes in the input data or parameters, different versions of TensorFlow, or errors in the loading process.

How can I troubleshoot when a load model in TensorFlow gives a different result?

To troubleshoot this issue, you can start by checking if the input data and parameters are the same as when the model was originally trained. You can also try using the same version of TensorFlow that was used for training, or updating to the latest version if relevant. Additionally, you can check for any errors in the loading process or try reloading the model to see if the issue persists.

Why do I need to be concerned about getting different results when loading a model in TensorFlow?

Getting different results when loading a model in TensorFlow can be concerning because it indicates that the model is not performing consistently. This can affect the accuracy and reliability of the model, and could potentially lead to incorrect predictions or decisions being made based on the model's output.

Can I prevent getting different results when loading a model in TensorFlow?

While it is not always possible to prevent getting different results when loading a model in TensorFlow, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the chances of this happening. This includes ensuring that the input data and parameters are consistent, using the same version of TensorFlow, and thoroughly testing the model after it has been loaded.

What are some best practices for loading a model in TensorFlow to avoid different results?

Some best practices for loading a model in TensorFlow include saving and loading the model using the same code and version of TensorFlow, saving the model in a standardized format such as SavedModel or HDF5, and thoroughly testing the model after loading to ensure it is performing as expected. It is also important to regularly monitor and update the model if needed to maintain its accuracy and consistency.