Local bank advertise their credit cards

• Thread starter Silicon Waffle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards Local
In summary, this is a scam where the caller wants your personal information to take out a loan in your name.
Silicon Waffle
First, I have to tell you that I don't have money and usually am not in need for shopping online or offline.
But lately some local Citi bank's employees have been calling me repeatedly to advertise their platinum VISA credit cards. They say they will deposit into my account $2000 in advance and I can use and pay them back later. Is this a scam ? I think they are lying to me, I'm so worried because they keep calling me almost once in every 4 days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely a scam - they just want your account information so that they can take what is there. If you have caller ID and don't recognize the number, you shouldn't even pick it up.

Likes S.G. Janssens and Silicon Waffle
I second that. Maybe also send a message to Citi Bank to inform them that someone is contacting people on the bank's behalf with nonsense stories. Stay away and keep training that jaw.

Likes Silicon Waffle
BTW, whenever I get calls from unknown numbers, I pick up the phone and immeadiately hang up so that they don't even get my answering maching - especially if the ID just lists a city and state instead of a name. I then check the number against this site - http://800notes.com/. If it's a number from a scammer, you will see lots of comments from others about the type of caller.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon Waffle said:
But lately some local Citi bank's employees have been calling me repeatedly to advertise their platinum VISA credit cards. They say they will deposit into my account $2000 in advance and I can use and pay them back later

Even if not a scam, how is that any good. Not free cash any which way, but a normal cash advance done on a credit card account. Now if you didn't HAVE to pay them back...

Bought a car on a credit card, but paid it off right away to burdening interest accumulation.
One friend years ago partied at the bars using credit card - eventually had to declare bankruptcy.

So if and when you do get one, not that one through the phone, use it wisely.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I'm a bit puzzled at why you are asking us. Why not ask your bank?

Whenever I get calls from my financial institution, I call them back. Caller ID can be spoofed. Initiating the call cannot be.

Likes Silicon Waffle

What are the benefits of using a local bank's credit card?

Using a local bank's credit card can offer benefits such as lower interest rates, personalized customer service, and easier access to credit limit increases.

How can I apply for a local bank's credit card?

You can apply for a local bank's credit card by visiting their branch in person, filling out an online application, or calling their customer service hotline.

What are the eligibility requirements for a local bank's credit card?

The eligibility requirements for a local bank's credit card may vary, but typically include factors such as credit score, income level, and employment status.

What fees are associated with a local bank's credit card?

Fees associated with a local bank's credit card may include an annual fee, late payment fees, and foreign transaction fees. It's important to carefully review the terms and conditions before applying.

What rewards and perks are offered with a local bank's credit card?

Local banks may offer rewards and perks such as cash back, airline miles, or points for purchases made with their credit card. Some may also offer additional benefits such as travel insurance or purchase protection.