Local Extrema: Homework Solution Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine local extrema using the first derivative test. The critical points of the given function were found to be 0 and plus/minus 0.5, and by plugging these values into the original equation, it was determined that x = 0 is not a local extrema. The conversation then discusses the choice of D as the local maximum at x = 0.5, but it is revealed that the formal definition of a local maximum is actually when the sign of the first derivative changes from positive to negative. This leads to the conclusion that x = 0.5 is actually a local minimum. The speaker also mentions that they have known others who have been fooled by similar problems.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jZdpOtdOiChOn.jpg

Homework Equations

Local extrema can be determined using the first derivative test.

The Attempt at a Solution

I ran the first derivative test to find the critical points, which were 0 and plus/minus 0.5. I plugged in the values into the original equation. x = 0 makes the function go to infinity, so x = 0 can be ruled out as any sort of local extrema. x = 0.5 makes the function = 2sqrt(e), while x = -0.5 makes the function = -2sqrt(e). Naively, I chose D, which pegs x = 0.5 as the local maximum, which makes sense, doesn't it?

Unfortunately the formal definition of a local maxima is that the sign of the first derivative changes from positive to negative, and in the case of x = 0.5, the opposite happens; the sign actually flips from negative to positive around it, making it a local minima.

I'm assuming this is the correct explanation.

Who else would have fallen for this? Let's be honest :P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I knew people who were fooled by this sort of problem. It is possible that a local maximum be "lower" than a local minimum. Look at the graphs of secant or cosecant, for example.

1. What is a local extremum?

A local extremum is a point on a graph where the value of a function is either at a maximum or minimum compared to the values of the function at nearby points. It can also be described as a point where the derivative of the function is zero or undefined.

2. How do you find local extrema?

To find local extrema, you can use the first or second derivative test. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function and determining whether they correspond to a maximum or minimum. The second derivative test involves analyzing the concavity of the function at the critical points to determine if they correspond to a maximum or minimum.

3. What is the difference between a local and global extremum?

A local extremum is a point on a graph where the function reaches a maximum or minimum compared to nearby points, whereas a global extremum is the absolute maximum or minimum value of a function over a given interval. In other words, a global extremum is the highest or lowest point on the entire graph, while a local extremum is just the highest or lowest point in a specific region.

4. Can a function have multiple local extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple local extrema. This occurs when there are multiple points on the graph where the derivative is zero or undefined. These points will correspond to either a maximum or minimum of the function.

5. How can local extrema be used in real-world applications?

Local extrema can be used to analyze and optimize various real-world situations, such as finding the maximum profit for a business, determining the minimum cost for a project, or identifying the highest or lowest point in a physical system. They can also be used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and understand complex systems.