Locally Finite Collection

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem where he needs to show that every open set has a finite cover. He has an attempt at doing so, but it is not clear to him if it is correct. He asks for help from the reader.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I read somewhere that if ##\{A_i\}## is a collection of subsets in some topological space ##X## that is locally finite, then ##\overline{\bigcup A_i} = \bigcup \overline{A}_i##, but I am having difficulty showing this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know that ##\bigcup \overline{A}_i \subseteq \overline{\bigcup A_i}## holds independently of whether the collection is locally finite, so it suffices to prove the other inclusion. Let ##a \in \overline{\bigcup A_i}##. Then for every open neighborhood ##U_a## containing ##a##, it will intersect ##\bigcup A_i## which means that ##A_i \cap U_a \neq \emptyset## for some ##i##. Since ##\{A_i\}## is locally finite, there exists an open neighborhood ##U_a## that intersects finitely many sets in the collection...

Clearly my goal is to show that ##a \in \bigcup \overline{A}_i##, and this happens if and only if ##a## is the limit point of some ##A_i##, or that every open of ##a## intersects "consistently" intersects some ##A_i##. My problem is, I don't see how the hypothesis (that ##\{A_i\}## is a locally finite collection) is strong enough to show this happens for all open sets; I can only get that one open neighborhood intersects some of the sets in ##\{A_i\}##, but that's far from showing all open neighborhoods intersect a given ##A_i##. I have thought about this for some time; I could use a few hints.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
I can only get that one open neighborhood intersects some of the sets in ##\{A_i\}##
Proof by contradiction should do it. Let ##a\in\overline{\bigcup A_i}\smallsetminus \bigcup\overline{A_i}##. What happens if you excise from an open neighbourhood ##N_a## of ##a## the closure of each set in the collection that intersects it?

andrewkirk said:
What happens if you excise from an open neighbourhood NaNaN_a of aaa the closure of each set in the collection that intersects it?

Let me see if I understand what you are saying. let ##S_a := \{i ~|~ A_i \cap N_a \neq \emptyset \}##. By excise, do you mean ##N_a - \bigcup_{i \in S_a} \overline{A}_i##?

How is this for a proof. Suppose that ##x \in \overline{\bigcup A_i}\smallsetminus \bigcup\overline{A_i}##. Then every open neighborhood of ##x## must intersect ##\bigcup A_i##. Moreover, there exists an open neighborhood ##N_x## such that it intersects ##A_i## for finitely many ##i##, whose indices we'll label ##\alpha_1,...,\alpha_n##. Note that ##x \notin A_i## for every ##i##, otherwise ##x \in \bigcup \overline{A}_i##. Therefore ##N_x - \bigcup_{k=1}^n A_{\alpha_k} = \bigcap_{k=1}^n (N_x - A_{\alpha_k})## is an open neighborhood of ##x##. However, this clearly does not intersect ##\bigcup A_i##, which is a contradiction.

Does this sound right?

Okay, I have a related question. Let ##X## be some topological and ##\{A_i\}## a locally finite collection with each ##A_i## closed in ##X## such that ##X = \bigcup A_i##. I am trying to prove that every open set has a finite cover. I believe this can be done using the above theorem. Here an attempt:

Let ##U## be open in ##X##. Then ##A_i \cap U \neq \emptyset## for finitely many ##i##, which we shall index as we did above. I claim that ##U \subseteq \bigcup_{k =1}^n A_{\alpha_k}##. By way of contradiction, suppose that ##x \in U - \bigcup_{k =1}^n A_{\alpha_k} = \cap_{k=1}^n (U-A_{\alpha_k})##, which is an open neighborhood of ##x##. Since ##X = \bigcup A_i = \bigcup \overline{A}_i = \overline{\bigcup A_i}## and ##x \in X##, this open neighborhood ##\cap_{k=1}^n (U-A_{\alpha_k})##, must intersect ##\bigcup A_i##, which is impossible since they are disjoint. Hence, ##U \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^n A_{\alpha_k}##. First, does this seem right? Second, is there a way of proving this without using what I proved in my previous post?

Bashyboy said:
Let ##U## be open in ##X##. Then ##A_i \cap U \neq \emptyset## for finitely many ##i##
That doesn't follow. The locally finite property doesn't say that any open set has finitely many overlaps. It just says that for any point ##x\in X## there exists an open neighbourhood ##U## of ##x## with finitely many overlaps.

Also, this may be just me but I find the doubly-nested subscripts confusing and messy. It is cleaner and simpler to just let the collection be its own index set, rather than introducing a superfluous index set. For instance in the OP problem, this allows expressing it as follows.

Let ##\mathscr C## be a locally finite collection of subsets of ##M##. Then
$$\overline{\bigcup_{A\in\mathscr C}A}=\bigcup_{A\in\mathscr C}\overline A$$
We can then refer to the finite set of overlapping sets as ##A_1,...,A_n## rather than having to use double subscripts.

andrewkirk said:
That doesn't follow. The locally finite property doesn't say that any open set has finitely many overlaps. It just says that for any point x∈Xx∈Xx\in X there exists an open neighbourhood UUU of xxx with finitely many overlaps.

Okay, so if we begin with the proof with an arbitrary point ##x##, will the rest of the proof hold? That is, I begin by letting ##x \in X## be arbitrary, and by the local finiteness of ##\mathcal{C}##, there exists an open neighborhood ##U_x## of ##x## that intersects finitely many sets in ##\mathcal{C}##. Could I then use the rest of the proof to show that ##U_x## has a finite cover of sets in ##\mathcal{C}##.

I'm afraid that won't work. Given ##x\in X##, the locally finite property tells us that there exists an open nbd ##N_x## of ##x##, which we can deduce to be covered by a finite subcollection ##\mathscr C_x## of ##\mathscr C##. But, because ##\mathscr C_x## depends on ##x##, that doesn't entail that any open set is covered by a finite subcollection.

In particular, for an open set ##U##, the above allows us to deduce that the collection ##\mathscr C_U=\bigcup_{x\in U}\mathscr C_x## covers ##U##. But unless ##|U|## is finite, we have no reason to expect that ##|\mathscr C_U|## is finite.

andrewkirk said:
the locally finite property tells us that there exists an open nbd NxNxN_x of xxx, which we can deduce to be covered by a finite subcollection CxCx\mathscr C_x of CC\mathscr C.

Ah, okay. This is actually all I need to prove a theorem I am working on. Just to be especially clear, though, we both agree that ##N_x## having a finite cover is provable, while an arbitrary open neighborhood may not necessarily have this property. Is this right?

Bashyboy said:
Ah, okay. This is actually all I need to prove a theorem I am working on. Just to be especially clear, though, we both agree that ##N_x## having a finite cover is provable, while an arbitrary open neighborhood may not necessarily have this property. Is this right?
Yes. For every point ##x\in X## there exists an open nbd ##N_x## that is covered by a finite subcollection of ##\mathscr C##.

What is a locally finite collection?

A locally finite collection is a mathematical concept used in topology. It refers to a collection of sets that only have a finite number of intersections in any given region. In other words, if you were to draw a circle around any part of the collection, there would only be a finite number of sets within that circle.

Why is a locally finite collection important?

Locally finite collections are important because they allow for the study of topological spaces that are not necessarily compact. They also have applications in areas such as geometry and graph theory.

What is the difference between a locally finite collection and a finite collection?

The main difference between a locally finite collection and a finite collection is that a locally finite collection may contain an infinite number of sets, as long as they have a finite number of intersections in any given region. In contrast, a finite collection has a finite number of sets.

How is a locally finite collection related to compactness?

A locally finite collection is related to compactness in that it is a weaker condition. A topological space that is locally finite is not necessarily compact, but a compact space must be locally finite.

Can a locally finite collection be infinite?

Yes, a locally finite collection can be infinite. As long as the collection has a finite number of intersections in any given region, it can contain an infinite number of sets. This is what sets it apart from a finite collection, which has a finite number of sets.