Locate & Disable Wifi Transceiver on Modem Circuit Board

• Thread starter Matt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wifi
In summary, it would be the radio transceiver on the modem circuit board that is responsible for transmitting and receiving wifi signals. It may be possible to disable it by cutting the wrong wire, but this may cause the modem to report a failure and the driver software may treat the entire board as failed. Alternatives include getting a modem that does not have Wifi, or using a Faraday cage to shield the majority of the signal.
Matt1
Does anyone know how to locate the wifi transmitter on a modem circuit board, is it the "Radio Transceiver"? Once located, is it possible to remove it or disable it. Wifi is enabled on my modem, and disabling it via software doesn't work.

Likes lastfsdfsd23
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it would be the radio transceiver.
Disabling it may be tricky. Simply cutting the wrong wire might cause the board to report a failure and the driver software may treat the entire board as failed.
Without doing anything that cannot be undone, I might try disconnecting the antennae or antenna circuitry from the transceiver.
Also bear in mind that you are dealing with ESD sensitive circuitry - so any changes you do should be at an ESD-safe workstation with a wrist strap, etc.

Likes davenn
While it is not elegant, a Faraday cage would do it. Any metal box connected to Earth with holes for the wires that are not too big and that would contain the modem. Maybe you could show off your new "biscuit tin modem" to your friends...

Matt1 said:
Does anyone know how to locate the wifi transmitter on a modem circuit board, is it the "Radio Transceiver"? Once located, is it possible to remove it or disable it. Wifi is enabled on my modem, and disabling it via software doesn't work.
Have you tried calling their tech support?

Likes lastfsdfsd23
Another option is getting a modem that does not have Wifi, but the simplest solution may be the Faraday cage - I just didn't know if such a cage would shield the majority of the signal.

Matt1 said:
Another option is getting a modem that does not have Wifi, but the simplest solution may be the Faraday cage - I just didn't know if such a cage would shield the majority of the signal.

Can you post pictures? We can suggest some Faraday Cage options. How are your soldering skills?

What is the make and model of this device?

Matt1 said:

Don't underestimate how difficult it is to make a good Faraday cage when you need to have cables going in/out of it. The cables really need to be low pass filtered for it to work well which obviously doesn't work in this case since you still need to have LAN cables going to the modem (it won't be of much use otherwise:-p). RF signals can travel along the wire and out of the shield meaning it is not enough to just make the hole as small as possible.
In "real" shielded rooms we try to use fibre optics whenever possible for this very reason.

Wifi/telecom systems use all sorts of tricks to maximize their reach, meaning the electronics will actively try to counteract anything you try to use to block it.

Likes davenn and sophiecentaur
at first you close your modem. and reset your wifi setting and reconnect it. i think it will work.:smile:

1. How can I locate the wifi transceiver on my modem circuit board?

The wifi transceiver on a modem circuit board is typically located near the antenna connection and labeled as "WLAN". You can also refer to the modem's user manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions.

2. Can I disable the wifi transceiver on my modem circuit board?

Yes, you can disable the wifi transceiver on your modem circuit board. Most modems have a designated button or switch to turn off the wifi function. You can also access the modem's settings through a web interface or software to disable the wifi transceiver.

3. Why would I want to disable the wifi transceiver on my modem circuit board?

Some people choose to disable the wifi transceiver on their modem circuit board for security reasons. This prevents potential hackers from accessing your network through the wifi signal. It can also help reduce wifi interference and improve the overall performance of your internet connection.

4. Can I still use an ethernet connection if I disable the wifi transceiver on my modem circuit board?

Yes, disabling the wifi transceiver on your modem circuit board will not affect your ability to use an ethernet connection. You can still connect your devices directly to the modem using an ethernet cable for internet access.

5. How do I know if I successfully disabled the wifi transceiver on my modem circuit board?

If you have successfully disabled the wifi transceiver on your modem circuit board, you will no longer see the wifi network name (SSID) being broadcasted. You can also check the modem's settings or use a wifi scanning tool to confirm that the wifi signal is no longer present.