Troubleshooting Neutral Cables in Electrical Circuits

In summary, if you don't know which neutral cable is from the circuit you want to change, you should remove all the neutral cables from the bar and check which one has continuity. If none of them do, then the cable from the concessionary may be the correct one.
ffp
Last weekend I was in my friend house to change an outlet from 127V to 220V. This means changing the neutral terminal from the bar inside the electrical board (dont know if that's the right rem in english) into a phase. However, I couldn't identify which neutral cable was from the circuit I wanted to change, since 4 different cables had continuity with the outlet.
Also, when I removed all the neutral cables from the bar, including the one that comes from the concessionary, his house outlets were still working.

How is that possible? Sorry if I couldn't be clear, english is not my native idiom. I can explain further if needed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ffp said:
Last weekend I was in my friend house to change an outlet from 127V to 220V. This means changing the neutral terminal from the bar inside the electrical board (dont know if that's the right rem in english) into a phase. However, I couldn't identify which neutral cable was from the circuit I wanted to change, since 4 different cables had continuity with the outlet.
Also, when I removed all the neutral cables from the bar, including the one that comes from the concessionary, his house outlets were still working.

How is that possible? Sorry if I couldn't be clear, english is not my native idiom. I can explain further if needed.
You need to hire a qualified electrician. If you have to ask this question, you don't have the knowledge required to insure safety. Some things in this world just have to be done right. This doesn't sound like a DIY project.

I have no doubt that someone here will answer your question, but it won't be me. I don't want any part of this.

Likes Dale, russ_watters, berkeman and 1 other person
DaveE said:
You need to hire a qualified electrician.
I'm afraid this is the best recommendation we can give. Electricity is one of the major causes for fire in households. And this is true for 110V as it is for 220V. Please consult a local expert, and not strangers on the internet.

Thread locked.

Likes dlgoff, DaveE, berkeman and 1 other person

1. What is a circuit neutral?

A circuit neutral is a wire that carries the return current in an electrical circuit. It is typically connected to the neutral bar in an electrical panel and provides a path for the current to return to the source.

2. What are the signs of a problem with circuit neutral?

Some signs of a problem with circuit neutral include flickering or dimming lights, outlets or switches not working, and appliances not functioning properly. These issues may indicate a break or loose connection in the neutral wire.

3. How can a problem with circuit neutral be diagnosed?

A problem with circuit neutral can be diagnosed by using a multimeter to test the continuity of the neutral wire. If there is no continuity, it may indicate a break in the wire. It is also important to visually inspect the wiring for any signs of damage or loose connections.

4. What are the potential hazards of a problem with circuit neutral?

A problem with circuit neutral can create a dangerous situation as it can cause electrical shocks, fires, and damage to appliances. It can also cause an imbalance in the electrical system, leading to overloading and potential damage to the circuit.

5. How can a problem with circuit neutral be fixed?

The exact solution for fixing a problem with circuit neutral will depend on the specific issue, but it typically involves repairing or replacing the damaged wire or connection. It is important to have a licensed electrician handle any electrical repairs to ensure safety and proper functioning of the circuit.